Forums Latest Members

Moonwatch Coaxial vs Racing Coaxial

1. Keef Richards Jun 15, 2019

In looking at these two watches, it appears it is the exact same watch with the exception of the makers on the Racing version. There are 4 lines that are closer to the center and then 4 lines that are closer to the edge around the dial. Are there any other difference you are aware of?

If your going with the dark dial, I'm thinking the Moonwatch Coaxial which looks closer to the original would be the more popular choice?

Screenshot_2019-06-15-08-47-46.png Screenshot_2019-06-14-22-40-20.png Screenshot_2019-06-15-08-44-25.png
    Edited Jun 15, 2019
  2. Ree Jun 15, 2019

I believe the racing has newer 9900 calibre.
    It's also thinner (14.9mm vs ~16mm) and the dial hour markers are now in 18k white gold.
    I'd pick the racing.

Edited Jun 15, 2019
    Vix, fskywalker, BatDad and 4 others like this.
  3. Alex_TA Jun 15, 2019

Also the chronograph subdials on the Racing are bigger.

Ree likes this.
  4. Stufflers Mom Jun 15, 2019

Both great watches but they are not as popular as the Speedy Pro, this might but in some way due to the extra cost of each watch.
    The new Racing model has the advantage of several different colour options, but the original co-axial may turn out to be considered as a classic Omega.
    I currently have the standard black Co-axial version listed on ebay and as I have mentioned on another post yesterday it's not yet reached a reasonable price, so maybe these models are not popular as I thought they were.

5. ras47 Jun 15, 2019

I prefer, ever so slightly, the dial of the Moonwatch to the Racing version. It's close though, and I adore the white dial racing version.

Speedy-02.2.jpg

6. dinexus Jun 16, 2019

I prefer the dial and water resistance (100m vs. 50) on the Moonwatch variant, but definitely would appreciate the thinner profile of the Racing.

7. Keef Richards Jun 16, 2019

Does the Racing version in this size have that grey circle on the crystal (unlike the hesolite) that the smaller version has? I don't see it really on the Racing version.

Edited Jun 16, 2019
  8. WurstEver Jun 17, 2019

9. steelfish Jun 17, 2019

You mean the milky ring? That will always be there while the sapphire crystal shares the same profile as the old co-axial moon watch. And I’m sure I researched that the sapphire crystals need to be this profile for some reason. Can’t quite remember what though.

10. Keef Richards Jun 17, 2019

Thank you for your excellent review. Your watch is beautiful and though I initially wanted the white dial Racing watch your review has me now thinking about your watch instead. The classic look is very appealing with modern features and the updated movement.

So the milky ring is only on the original size Speedy. If that is the case, the hesolite is the option I would prefer with the original size.

Edited Jun 17, 2019
    WurstEver likes this.
  11. ilayd Jun 17, 2019

I think you misread Seelfish's comment. You DO still get the milky ring on all versions of the Speedy with Sapphire crystal, due to the fact that the sapphire has to be bent at a certain angle, at least in the way that Omega creates them. Hesalite versions are the ones that will not. Watches that have a flat crystal will also not have a milky ring.

That being said, on some variants of the dial, and especially the lighter color ones, you may not see the milky ring as prominently.

12. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 17, 2019

Not quite. The ring appears worse in some watches than others and is to do with the exact profile of the sapphire. The more dome the less ring, less dome like on the FOIS and recent sapphire sandwich more ring. Some Speedmasters have very little visible ring if any. Here are 2 examples, first the much derided silver coin dial Apollo 17 with very visible ring (not mine), secondly 1957 Broad Arrow with basically zero milky ring (mine). It’s in the crystal profile. Both use sapphire but the former is much boxier than the latter.

6F4E4C7B-4C11-4FD3-A200-FD430ADD2EAF.jpeg
    916F9D09-EC97-44FC-BB86-7002B24BDEBD.jpeg

Edited Jun 17, 2019
    steelfish likes this.
  13. dinexus Jul 10, 2019

[​IMG]

I was originally wanting the 9300 variant because of the added water resistance and the more 'pure' Speedmaster design, but I can't help but feel like the 9900 Racing version is a superior watch in nearly every capacity (thinner, upgraded movement & bracelet, more balanced dial, applied dial elements, etc.), and all I'd really need it to be is 'swim proof' (often hitting a hotel pool while on the road), so maybe I really need to turn my attention to the Racing... But then if I'm compromising on the WR, maybe I should just get a ceramic Speedy, as I've always really wanted a Grey Side.

Dammit.

MSN001 likes this.
  14. Comtaygious Jul 11, 2019

Racing ftw

Omega-Speedmaster-Racing-Master-Chronometer-2017-aBlogtoWatch-34-e1490317271819.jpg
  15. gerrya Jul 11, 2019

I just recently went back and forth between the Racing and the DSOTM. I was concerned about the thickness as well but I went to an AD 2 different times to try them both on and the difference in thickness was unnoticeable to me on the wrist. In pictures I really liked the Racing, larger sub dials, orange accents, didn't like the longer minute marks in person. Trying them on for me made it clear that I liked the DSOTM much better.
    The thickness of these watches is very deceiving, I have a Panerai 111 that is thinner, but on the wrist it appears thicker than these Omega's that are a millimeter or two thicker.

16. Bugbait Jul 13, 2019

Unless you really like the classic Speedmaster style, in which case the Pro would probably be a better choice I'd learn towards the Racing version. The only thing I like more on the Moonwatch alternative is the outer, classic markers versus the racing. However, everything else is in the favour of the Racing, for me anyway. I'm a sucker for nice applied markers and the anti-magnetic movements. I've also magnetised my Deville Chronoscope a few times over the years. Easy to fix but better not to have to worry about it.

17. fskywalker Jul 14, 2019

Thinner is better!