Forums Latest Members
  1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 19, 2016

Here are two watches acquired in very different ways.

On the left is the Moonwatch, purchased many years ago, retail, in a Parisian Watch dealers shop. It was the second watch I ever bought....Bought so long ago that the extortionate price paid is now, well, about right. It is post 1978, and has an unusual patina. In fact I always wondered if this dealer had a "process" - because the plots and hands are very well matched and I have not seen this in any other watch.

The MkII came from Ebay in about 2012, an Albanian seller who appeared quite unable to use a camera. It was awful, $600, and to my amazement it arrived. This is after a service where I replaced the glass, with the same Decemale style integral scale. It took a long time to arrive from Omega. I left the hands as they were. A bit of missing paint is better than service replacements or repainting.

P6250014.jpg

GregH, browncow, ahartfie and 3 others like this.
  2. Banner Roar Jun 19, 2016

Two nice examples of patina. Interestingly very different lume patina. Any consensus :whistling: on origins of green v yellow. I would suggest the green is from moisture and yellow from light. Could also be lume composition/source differences.

3. TNTwatch Jun 19, 2016

The off white paint colour of the hands on both watches look very close to each other, and similar to that on others that I've seen, so the "process" on the paint surface is probably "natural".

4. abrod520 Jun 19, 2016

Interesting that it carries a 220 bezel - I'd think those were too rare to be used as a service replacement, but here one is!