Forums Latest Members

Moonwatch 145.022-71 - pictures / advice / information requested

1. sgoody1 Jul 6, 2016

Hi,

I have just bought a Moonwatch - and very excited about it.

I had been looking for a straight writing version, but couldn't find one that I felt comfortable with, or was fairly priced.
    I have already written about my purchase under a Straight Writing thread, but decided to start a new thread, in the hope that might encourage more feedback about the watch I have bought.
    The details of it when I bought it were that it is "Circa 1971"
    It has a black "Stepped" dial.
    The bracelet is marked 1175/640 member 12. There is another small stamp on the back 2-71.
    I was going to try and clean it, particularly the bracelet, with a toothbrush - but have been advised by the forum not to.
    Today I took it into an Omega shop, to discuss whether it is worth getting it serviced.However at about £400, I am not sure I can justify spending that.
    They did say they can open the back up on another occasion at the shop, and confirm all the details for me. They said they can also do some ultrasonic cleaning on the bracelet, but were reluctant to do that there and then, as they felt that some of the pins may work loose after that, and didn't have the right pins at that time to replace them, so I may take it in again next week.
    They also suggested that the pushers and crowns and glass may need changing. The glass is in pretty good condition anyway, so I am not sure I should change that for a newer version - he thought the current glass was original, so would it affect the value to replace?
    Also, if the pushers and crown get replaced, does that make it less original.
    It all seems to work well right now, keeps good time, and the pushers work, but there is a bit of grubbiness between the head of the pusher and the watch case.
    He felt that it has not been serviced for a very long time, if at all. He also felt that the hands were original, although I am not so sure.
    They also mentioned that for about £80, they can produce a certificate that will detail the watches history, date, where first sold etc.
    So any thoughts / advice etc. Should I get it serviced, and if so, do I give Omega very specific instructions?
    Any input is much appreciated. IMG_7790.JPG IMG_7791.JPG IMG_7792.JPG IMG_7793.JPG IMG_7794.JPG

2. Kwijibo Jul 6, 2016

hi,

Just a few points. My be some other members will correct. If it's really a 1971 the bracelet looks way polished (flattened). The minute hand looks too short. As for ultrasonic cleaning, I can't see any problems doing it on the bracelet and case unless you don't remove the bezel. For the pushers if you can't do it yourself have them checked. I would say thy need to be changed as I see greenish crap on them. They often corrod. You need a special tool to unscrew the tubes. it's easy to do it as mum into dad but you need the tool.
    the dial is really nice.

3. sgoody1 Jul 6, 2016

Thanks. The guy at Omega thought it is the original bracelet, and we looked in the moon watch book, and it seemed to be right for this reference number.
    The serial number given to me when I bought the watch is 32198xxx.
    I don't have the tool to change the pushers, and I am not skilled at that kind of thing - maybe I should get it done professionally, bite the bullet, and get it serviced etc by Omega?

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 6, 2016

Obviously you are in the UK.
    So send it direct to STS in Essex - who would do the work anyway.
    If it were mine, I would service immediately.
    I would request all service parts are changed, but returned. By that I mean crown, pushers and crystal. That way you should get waterproof.
    It looks a lovely original watch, but it does show signs of use - all that gunk.
    You should really service it.

Oh and for everyones health, stop showing it to those cretins in Omega Boutique! (Well many are cretins and its not worth the risk)

Davidt, gemini4, abrod520 and 2 others like this.
  5. Kwijibo Jul 6, 2016

32 if I rememeber well is 1972. I can change the pusher for you and clean the case. We are you located? If in the EU, it's not a problem for me, it takes 10 minutes.

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 6, 2016

32m is correct for a -71. Hands appear correct length also.

Also as your newish here. The value is in original hands and dial. Having omega service it you risk those being replaced for new ones which will look horrible against the great patina you have there.

The 80£ extract they offered will give you production date and location of the original sale. It is available online also for the same fee.

7. Kwijibo Jul 6, 2016

If ever you have it serviced it Bienne, TELL THEM TO KEEP AND GIVE YOU BACK the old parts.

8. Davidt Jul 6, 2016

The value and desirability (according to most collectors) of a vintage piece is generally determined by the condition and originality.

Although common sense would perhaps suggest that sending a vintage Speedmaster to Omega would be the best choice for a service, they frequently change major parts such as the dial, bezel and case for modern versions. This hammers the originality. As @Spacefruit suggested, STS are the best bet. They're a UK omega servicing agent, but are well versed in sympathetically servicing vintage pieces.

I would second the advise given that a service that replaces the pushers, crown, crystal if required, full movement service and case clean (not polish) is the best option for maintaining originality and function.

9. sgoody1 Jul 6, 2016

Thanks - I will go with sending it to STS. At the shop in Regent Street, they said the service may also result in the glass being changed - is that an issue?

10. abrod520 Jul 6, 2016

Keep the original crystal if possible. These can easily be polished as long as they're in OK condition, and yours looks to be. If you do get it replaced, be sure to have them return the original crystal afterwards.

Do not have this watch serviced at Omega though! Omega will pull out all of the valuable original parts and make your watch "like new" - thus removing any vintage warmth and charm.

11. sgoody1 Jul 6, 2016

Thanks for the advice.
    I did speak to them, and they said they can follow instructions, i.e. not replace hands, dial, bezel etc - if thats what is requested.

12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 6, 2016

Because they will send it to....er....STS. When the watch is sent to Omega in Bienne, its a lot less certain that they will be able to follow.

Honestly there is nothing to be gained retaining the crystal on a -71, apart from a potential loss of waterproof.

Archer likes this.
  13. Kwijibo Jul 7, 2016

I don't agree, check the shape of the logo on the crystal. If its original, keep it. It's better to polish it.