Forums Latest Members
  1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 9, 2012

2. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 9, 2012

Respectable Member dsio

There are far too many frankens and fakes around. Why do we have such callous and unscrupulous elements, around us?

Thank-you.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 9, 2012

Honestly it really isn't anywhere near that bad, there are tons of good original watches around, its very easy to find a clean example of just about any watch you want with all original parts if you're willing to pay the money. That doesn't speak to this one necessarily but really there is a huge market for wearable watches that look clean, and the majority of people are completely fine with a redialed watch, compared to a modern fashion watch like a Hugo Boss, a redialed constellation is a very good option.

The number of fakes in the vintage market is really VERY low, they do exist, but they're the minority, not the rule, and while not collector ideal, frankenwatches are a given when 30-60 years of wear and tear has taken its toll, over time parts get replaced and scavenged to save the remaining examples.

4. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 9, 2012

Respectable Member dsio

Serious enthusiasts and experts like you & company can readily pick up the difference between the good, the bad and the ugly. Most of us do not have such expertise and exposure. When I was hunting around for an Omega Seamaster diver watch, without the help of this forum, I would have already owned a dud.

In practice, how many people do really consult a forum, before parting with their hard-earned. This is sickening, compared to the good old days, when there were no books and forums to guide us, yet we never picked up an ugly creature. Basically I realize, the population of rubbish has grown by leaps and bounds, today. Then, the worst scenario was picking up a watch with a refinished dial. Frankens and fakes were seldom seen. There were but not that many. They were so crude and one can tell the difference from a mile away. However, the frankens and fakes of today are so sophisticated. It is virtually impossible to see the difference, at times.

Thank-you.

5. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 9, 2012

Respectable Member dsio

Thank God, the item has already been removed by eBay.

Thank-you.

6. ulackfocus Dec 9, 2012

Kyle showed me this last night and he's interested in it. I also have my doubts about the dial for the same reason as you Ashley. The finish usually deteriorates on these without any abuse so this one must have been stored in a vacuum.

7. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 9, 2012

Hey man, open the windows and let the sunshine in! Why so cynical? It seems that whenever you look at a vintage watch, your first 5 thoughts are reasons not to buy the watch rather than looking for reasons to buy it. I think life would be more fulfilling if you took a glass half full approach and instead tried to see the good in things. There's lots of nice vintage omegas out there that are original and authentic and some of them might even have your name on them...

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 9, 2012

This strikes me as fundamentally true - many imperfect watches are not created with malice, but just to keep a piece going and looking decent over the years (the dials of these Cosmics seem to be particularly susceptible to deterioration) . We collectors are obsessive about originality and authenticity to a degree never conceived of by two generations of watchmakers and repairmen, and never required by two generations of their customers. But that's no reason to suspect them all of skullduggery. In other words, not fakes, but repairs and improvisations.

As for the good old days that respectable Seamonster mentions, is it possible that the absence of references like fora and web images kept us ignorant of how much "impure" merchandise was in circulation? In other words, we never picked up an ugly creature because we didn't know enough to see that it was ugly?

9. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 9, 2012

Respectable Member MSNWatch

More than likely because I have just enough money to get a good vintage-watch watch, I tend to be unusually fussy. I cannot afford to make a mistake. If I inadvertently picked up a dud, I cannot afford to look around for another piece.

Thank-you.

10. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 9, 2012

Respectable Member LouS

There are factory-original ones still but one has to wait for it, patiently. For one with a tight budget, the waiting is even much longer than usual.

Anyway I have managed to get one, after months of hunting around. I thank this forum and its respectable members for the invaluable advice and direction.

Thank-you.

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 9, 2012

Respectable Seamonster.

I think many of us here are very sensitive to your watch requirements and needs. But please recognize that at times you dwell on the negative to what some consider an excessive degree. You do not always have to state the obvious about a seller or creator of a watch in every post. There is always a time to analyze and philosophize, but it is not all the time. I say this as one who has great respect for your unusual insights into life and circumstance, so please do not take this as an effort to stifle your great spirit and quest for open and honest discourse. Your wisdom born of time and experience is a great asset to the forum.
    With all kind regards,
    Stephen

12. seamonster Respectable Member Dec 9, 2012

Respectable Member cicindela

If I had been over the top, I tender my humble apology. Nevertheless, I appreciate the kindness of respectable members of this forum.

It is just in me that I detest something deliberately passed on as factory-original, while it is not. In any vintage-watch, there are flaws which are to be expected but do please point out, so potential buyers can see and subsequently make the final decision, whether to buy it or not.

Thank-you.

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 9, 2012

Without dwelling on the negative too much, can someone enlighten me as to the problems with this particular watch? To be honest, I don't see anything wrong with it. It is possible that the dial is a service replacement or a very high quality redial.

I don't know what asking price was, but is it possible that someone made the seller a offer that they could not refuse?
    gatorcpa

14. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 9, 2012

To be perfectly honest I didn't have any issues with the dial based on the smallish photos.

The listing was actually yanked by eBay not simply ended, as there is no record of the listing now.

15. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 19, 2012

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 19, 2012

I think it might be just because of the rarity of a clean dial on one of those, especially in white like that. The junk ones and redials are still floating to the bottom, but its like a working NSU RO80, I can get 10 broken ones tomorrow, but one with a working original engine will sell for a premium just for that fact alone.

From memory you're an Audi man so you'll know the RO80 reference ;)

17. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 19, 2012

That was a pretty technologically advanced if somewhat unreliable car. And that technology bent carries over to audi today. I love the brand - been driving audis since 1996.