Forums Latest Members
  1. sgoody1 May 3, 2016

Hi,
    Am new to this forum, so hello.
    I am after a Moonwatch from 1969-1972, with the "Straight Writing" back.
    This obsession started with me seeing the new Moonwatch in a store, and after reading more about them became in interested in the history. The straight writing version plants them in the early Apollo years, and differentiates them from the more modern issues. I also like the vintage patina of the earlier hands.
    I am after one that has not been restored, i.e. with vintage original hands and bezel as well as the original back.
    I have found a few, but the backs seem to clean to be original.
    IMG_7291.JPG IMG_7287.JPG
    Also, in some cases, the serial numbers do not seem to correspond with the claimed year.
    The third watch is a 1972 with the non-straight writing, but seems reasonable value at £3250 - or is that too much? Although I really did want Straight writing, so probably should continue with that quest! IMG_7297.JPG
    IMG_7298.JPG Any views on these, or what else I should watch out for would be much appreciated
    Thanks

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 3, 2016

Welcome!

You have good aspirational tastes, but the watches you show have problems.

Here is some home work:

www.speedmaster101.com

The straight writing watch is slightly over polished, which makes me want to inspect everything else about it.

The 1972 has SL hands I think.And I cannot see from the photo if it has a stepped dial - if it is a 145.022-71 it should do. The next reference is the 145.022-74 which does not. Unless they have an extract, I am not sure how to be sure this is a 1972 as serial ranges published are not accurate for years.

fibonacci086, gemini4 and Foo2rama like this.
  3. sgoody1 May 4, 2016

Thanks.

I did read the speedmaster101 web site, and others, to start gathering knowledge of the watch, and help pick the one to go for. There is a lot more to it than I ever expected!!

On the 1972 watch above, the hands do look a bit brighter - I could check I guess to see how bright they are in the dark?

However, I actually also think I should stick to my guns and hunt down a Straight Writing model anyway.

What I am interested to know, of the two case-backs I have posted above, are either replacements - or are they both original?

These are pictures of the faces of the straight writing backs.
    The leather strap one is the case-back with the sticker (in my first post above), (ignore the other two watches in the picture)

The picture below that (2nd picture below) relates to the first case-back posted above.

Moonwatch 1.JPG Moonwatch 2.JPG

I preferred the watch with a bracelet (but is the luminocity original), and the hands on the leather strap version had gone kind of orange!

The leather strap one seems very expensive at about £6,000. The other is still over £4,000, which again seems out of kilter with the market, and the bezel looks like a replacement. From what I can see, it looks like really a Good condition watch of post moon 69-72/3 (not mint, but all original, unpolished etc), should be about £3,000 tops?)

I don't really mind which bezel the watch I choose comes with eg if its not a DON, but do want the correct and original bezel and bracelet for the watch I end up wearing.

Again, any advice appreciated. I am not in a hurry to buy, and maybe its better to wait until the absolutely right one comes along.

Thanks again.

4. Shazmak May 4, 2016

+1 for straight writing! Love mine. I think it's the 861 to have otherwise go for a 145.022-68 transitional ;)

5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 4, 2016

I'd hold out for the one you really want. don't compromise.

IMG_20160430_213059.jpg

6. sgoody1 May 4, 2016

Thanks. I will keep looking for the Straight Writing version. That one looks fantastic in the picture.
    What do you think is the right price for a correct one in great, not mint condition?

7. TNTwatch May 4, 2016

How much is the one on the right in the first picture here? You should definitely get that one. If the one in the second picture is not too polished (soft edges), get that as well, if you can.

8. TomGW May 4, 2016

They are both original 1970s as opposed to recent, service replacement casebacks. The new, replacement versions have larger notches for removal, in common with the current, standard casebacks.

9. ossfm May 4, 2016

I'm in the same situation right now. I've been looking for a particular Speedy that doesn't come up too often. Now one has come up (not on OF) but the seller is acting strange. Either he's not a serious watch guy or he's trying to hide something. I'm not sure yet; we'll see. You'd think that someone who claims to need the money for living accomodation and not another watch would be more enthusiastic. Instead I'm getting "If you insist on a movement pic, maybe we can't make a deal. I don't want to open the case" and "what's an endlink number; maybe I'll get you a pic of that tomorrow."

If it doesn't work out, I'll enjoy the hunt for a while longer and pick up some more knowledge along the way.

As tough as it is, keep in mind that there is always another watch out there. If this one doesn't work out, another one will come along. Chances are, it'll be better because it will be the one you really want. It's good to not be in a hurry. It's more likely that a mistake will happen when you get in a hurry.

I guess that's a long way of saying, stick to what you want. Oddboy is right.

10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 5, 2016

Amen

11. sgoody1 May 5, 2016

The one on the right of the picture with 3 watches in is not a straight writing version.
    Why do you say I should get that, with so little information about it?

12. omegasaso12 May 5, 2016

Did you notice 220 bezel on the right?

13. TNTwatch May 5, 2016

The straight writing without Apollo XI is just a normal iteration case back that was produced for much longer period than that bezel. It's not a special or limited edition or rare or anything at all.

That watch also appears to have the best condition of the bunch you show. May also be the least expensive but the most uncommon there. Just make sure the serial is correct.

sky21 likes this.
  14. sgoody1 May 5, 2016

Thanks - what is a 220 Bezel?
    It looks like I just missed out on a Apollo XI version!
    Maybe that is the one I should hang on for.

15. TNTwatch May 5, 2016

How much is that 220?

16. sgoody1 May 5, 2016

What is a 220?
    I can't remember what that one was going for, but can check.

17. TNTwatch May 5, 2016

It's a printing error on the bezel. Should be 200 instead of 220.

18. sgoody1 May 5, 2016

Thanks. I was just looking that up.
    What should that watch be worth?
    I think it was about 5 or £6,000!!

19. jimik42 May 5, 2016

5000 or 6000 pounds sounds like a hell of a lot of money.
    You may want to check this link for indicative pricing.

It lists a 'Good condition' straight-writing 69 Speedy as USD$3500 or around 2400 pounds.
    A 'Collectors condition' is listed at USD$5500 or around 3800 pounds.

The price chart doesn't show what the premium may be for the rare 220 bezel but I doubt it would be that much extra.
    Maybe someone more knowledgeable could chime in here.

20. sky21 May 5, 2016

It depends a lot on if it has the Apollo XI inscription on the caseback or not. The recent examples with this inscription have sold for a lot higher than the prices on that chart.