Forums Latest Members

Montre Omega Constellation cas français est intéressant (Thanks Google translate….)

1. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 29, 2014

It started with Desmond article. An interesting point of view on French cased Gold vintage Constellation, that you could read here (http://omega-constellation-collecto...8/a-french-omega-constellation-2648-seen.html). The article sparked my interest to add my collection with non-swiss cased vintage Constellation. And the French one looks much better than US, British or South American cases.

Next step of course visiting our beloved fleabay. Few days searching I stumble into this picture for auction:
    $_57.JPG

$_57 (1).JPG
    A very reasonable starting price, my eyes, brain and heart had been set for the auction. Before pulling the trigger, I contacted Desmond and seeking his advice whether it was a legit specimen. His answer was a positive assurance. Now I put ammunition into my trusted Gixen account. Three days later I become the proud winner of this specimen.

I contacted the seller immediately. He lives in Aquitane, a small town in France. Like any French gentlemen, of course he answered in French. Thank God, there is Google translate now. I know nothing about French language!!! 10 years ago I must go to library to borrow thick French dictionary. Now we corresponded more than 5 mails a day in French and I didn’t have to exit my Chrome browser. It’s like I at least a level 2 basic French writer.
    So with the help of a friend in UK (Thanks Alex…), the watch arrived in Jakarta safely.

Connie RG french front 1 (800x600).jpg

The case is in decent condition. Not overly polished, case and lugs are more rounded and less sharp edges than the Swiss counterpart. The lugs are lyre style and appear smaller than Swiss case on same style. I suspect the crown is replacement but I have seen other french cased Connie using similar crown so who knows.
    The dial and furnitures are basically similar with swiss made. This watch has patina and measles on the dial that would make Kyle proud. I decided to leave it as it is. It wears and looks fine. The measles are evenly distributed that it gave character to the watch.
    The case material is pink gold. However its red hue is subtler / softer than rose gold case Swiss Connie from the same era.
    Connie RG french side (800x553).jpg

The case back is simpler without Constellation and Waterproof script usually found in Gold Swiss case Connie in that era. There is eagle head hallmark stamped just below the medallion.
    Connie RG french caseback 2 (800x600).jpg

All in all, it is a worthy addition in vintage Connie Collection. Next step, going to my watchmaker, polish the scratch in the crystal, service the movement and clean up carefully the outer case.
    Connie RG french front 2 (800x600).jpg

Zapatta, Omega78, NT931 and 4 others like this.
  2. John R Smith Mar 29, 2014

Very nice, Pday7! Many thanks for sharing the French Connie with all of us, it is certainly an interesting example and I think you are absolutely right to leave the dial alone. In my little collection I now have Swiss cases (of course), a British Dennison case, and an American Wadsworth case - perhaps a French one should be next?

Privateday7 likes this.
  3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 29, 2014

Thanks John,
    British Denisson and US Wadsworth are certainly among my target list.
    We know there are also South American case: Brasil and Argentina. It is interesting to see minutiae difference between these cases........

4. NT931 Mar 29, 2014

Crosshairs, arrowheads ... Veeeery nice score! :thumbsup:

Privateday7 likes this.