Forums Latest Members
  1. Jacquot Feb 28, 2015

I have a Connie Monocoque that I really love to wear, it isn't perfect, but looks great and keeps perfect time. The problem is the stem. I have had 3 different watchmakers work on this, and the same thing happens every time, if in rotation, after a few times, the stem just pulls right out. One watchmaker replaced/adjusted this twice, others once. It just happened again, and I'm at a loss as to why. Is this a common issue with this assembly? I thought I should ask before I return it to the local person who I just got it back from two weeks ago... I would love to have this really fixed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. rogart ray it again, Ram. Feb 28, 2015

Is it a split stem ? Two parts ?

3. Jacquot Feb 28, 2015

Yes, it is...

4. rogart ray it again, Ram. Feb 28, 2015

Some thing is worn in the split or has a bend . Could be the crown also . Strange that no watchmaker has been able to locate the problem . To short stem ?

5. TNTwatch Feb 28, 2015

Just replace the two-piece stem. Piece of cake.

Regards.

6. Jacquot Feb 28, 2015

I'm pretty sure that was done at least twice, which is my frustration. I'll take it back to the guy in town and confirm that he did replace it. I got a very fast turn around on it. I agree it should be simple, but this has happened to me 4 times already. Maybe it's just bad luck. I'll report back on resolution.

7. TNTwatch Feb 28, 2015

Are the replacements new, genuine and correct Omega parts? If yes, most likely the outer piece was cut too short.

Regards.

8. TNTwatch Feb 28, 2015

Can you pull the crown to the adjustment positions at all?

9. Jacquot Feb 28, 2015

No it pulled completely out of the movement, which then shifts slightly in the case. Every time the same thing has happened.

10. Jacquot Feb 28, 2015

I'm attaching a photo, maybe it is just the crown that is the problem. Omega 564.JPG

11. TNTwatch Feb 28, 2015

Did you try lining up the split on the outer stem to the inner one then push it firmly in? Can you post a picture of the crown area after doing that?

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 28, 2015

Bingo - that's the problem. The movement should not move in the case. Even with a new split stem (both halves) if the movement is not secure the stem can slide apart (as opposed to being pulled apart) if the movement rotates in the case slightly. I'm not exactly sure which system this particular case uses, but on some the case clamps are placed in slots and the movement is rotated to a point where it tightens in the case, or there is a brass retaining ring that is rotated after the movement is dropped in to lock it all in place.

Also, based on the black residue on the case tube, you probably need a new crown as the seal in that one is shot - turned to goop likely as they all do eventually.

Cheers, Al

TNTwatch likes this.
  13. TNTwatch Feb 28, 2015

Great call, Al! The last picture does shows the dial is rotated a bit there.

14. Jacquot Feb 28, 2015

Many thanks guys. I'm pasting a section from Desmond's write up on this model, too:

"In monocoque cases, the crystal acts to stabilise the dial and
    movement as well as provide an excellent seal to the case. The
    movement is removed from the front of the watch. This is achieved by
    the use of the special Omega tool 105 which reduces marginally the
    diameter of the crystal to allow it to be released from the special case
    top groove in which it sits."

It seems like the pressure from the crystal should make the fit tight, right? I also see on the Otto Frei site that the crown comes in two lengths, one is the case reference 'old' and the other 'new' (longer). I have a feeling there may be multiple things wrong here. The crustal was replaced once, but I had the problem before as well.
    David

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 28, 2015

Well most of the Constellations I have had in are the type with a case back that removes. I tend to get a lot of front loading Seamasters, so there is a chance that the case design is different in a Constellation. I see DeVille and Cosmic Omegas where the crystal helps hold the dial (Dynamics also) so I guess it's possible that this uses that system.

Here is a Seamaster case with the movement removed:

[​IMG]

This style has a brass ring inside the case as you can see, and the movement is dropped in, and the ring is rotated. The movement is then secure in the case - the crystal does nothing to secure the movement. That ring slides to catch on the case clamps of the movement, and it locks the movement down solid.

To know for sure what is wrong with your watch, I guess knowing what retains the movement would be needed, but no matter what, it can't be moving in the case. Was the crystal that they installed a genuine Omega crystal?

Cheers, Al

16. Jacquot Feb 28, 2015

The crystal has the Omega emblem, however I have a feeling something is missing or wrong. I have seen it with the movement removed, but do not have a photograph. I always thought the stem coming out made for the movement shift, not that it could be the other way around. You are the first to explain that. I need someone with that kind of understanding. I'm in NYC area, there must be a watchmaker around that would understand this. I really appreciate the help.

17. rogart ray it again, Ram. Feb 28, 2015

Should the hour and minute hands be so short ? If so shouldn't the second have the same length ?

18. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 28, 2015

Been a while since I've had one of these but I think they are like the Seamaster Cosmic in that the case is notched and the movement drops in and is rotated right, no retainer ring like Archer mentions. Be sure the mounting tabs on the movement are both there and are engaging the case correctly. Also, just because the crystal is marked Omega, it isn't necessarily the correct one for the case, some as would probably be correct for this case have a stepped reflector ring.

Photos from a Seamaster Cosmic.

IMG_2239.JPG IMG_2240.JPG

19. TNTwatch Feb 28, 2015

This case doesn't have the movement locking ring so it relies on the two clamps to hold the movement tight after turning it a bit clockwise. Since the OP's picture show the 3 o'clock rotated pass the crown tube, I think the two case clamps are either missing, incorrect type or installed sideway.

(Pictures by Nilo on PP)

omega_image.3590428.jpg omega_image.3590438.jpg
  20. Jacquot Feb 28, 2015

Thank you! I bet this is exactly the problem, and like I said, it has been like this since I bought it. Basically, I am guessing the stem and crown have been the only thing holding the movement in place. Great information. Thanks for the time and detailed responses.