Forums Latest Members
  1. scv55 May 12, 2016

hey guys,

I'm visiting New Orleans today and ran into some rain. Nothing major, but it is very humid. Anyways after walking in the sun no more than an hour after it rained I looked down at my watch and noticed this. How concerning is this? I have watch insurance and warranty from the dealer I purchased from. The watch was serviced before I bought it back in March. The watch dates back to ~1976

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 12, 2016

So this is why I am quite open to changing pushers, crown and crystal at service. And why I do not wear some of my older 321's in humid conditions - not because I am clever but because exactly this has happened to me.

First things first.

Stick this watch head only into a airtight container, in a bed of dry rice. Ideally face down on the rice with the back off. With the container sealed, any residual moisture will be drawn into the rice.

Wisdom would say service immediately. Experience has shown me that if I take the back off and dry it on rice for three days, no lasting damage occurred nor did a the watch need service - this was on a Tissot Seastar so not the same value risk its true.

OMGRLX, KooKoo, oddboy and 2 others like this.
  3. Donn Chambers May 12, 2016

I assume the moisture is on the inside of the crystal (i.e., it can't be wiped away)? In that case, it's not good and indicates moisture has gotten into the watch through a bad seal or something, and you should have that checked. If the moisture is on the outside only (you can wipe it off), it's not a problem. That happens a lot when you go from a cold atmosphere (like air conditioning) into warm, humid air.

4. Pianist A 12 inch WHAT?!?!? May 12, 2016

Don't worry, I'm sure the movement is still intact.
    Just try to avoid rain in the future.

5. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ May 12, 2016

I doubt he would have gone to the trouble of posting if he was able to wipe it off the outside.

ulackfocus, Cosd, red crowned and 2 others like this.
  6. Canuck May 12, 2016

Get to a watchmaker who can be trusted with your watch. Moisture condenses on the COOLEST part of your watch. In this case, on the under side of the crystal. I suggest you keep the watch on your wrist, to assure moisture stays where it is. If you take it off, and the whole watch reaches the same temperature, the moisture is likely to migrate to sensitive parts! But get it attended to ASAP!

lawonga likes this.
  7. scv55 May 12, 2016

Thanks for all the quick responses. It's all gone now. I will still bring it to a watchmaker just to make sure.

8. scv55 May 12, 2016

Pic

image.jpeg
  9. cwindham May 12, 2016

SCV, do you live in New Orleans? I live near there and havent had any moisture issues with my 145.022-69.
    Then again, i just had mine serviced.

If you do live in New orleans, what watchmaker do you use for service?

10. scv55 May 12, 2016

Just visiting for a few days. I live in south Florida so the humidity isn't anything new

11. flyingout May 12, 2016

Cautionary tales to be sure. This has been on my mind since I had mine serviced with replaced pushers and crystal but original crown. I live in Southern California so little humidity here, but I do have concerns about that crown if I wander to a humid climate.

12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 12, 2016

remember just because the moisture is no longer visible, does not mean it is not still inside the watch.

OMGRLX, ulackfocus and red crowned like this.
  13. scv55 May 12, 2016

This is my concern

14. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 12, 2016

So do the rice thing

leave it in a sealed container for a day or two - obviously dont let dust from the rice in!

OMGRLX and red crowned like this.
  15. Niklas Thinks snap ring pliers are for opening casebacks May 12, 2016

I have had the same thing with my Seamaster. just unscrew the back put the watc above a lightbulb on top of the cover of the nightstand, not in direct contact with the watch let it warm up till about 45-50 degrees Celsius an let it cool down for a while and put the back on.
    This works best if you are doing it in an air conditioned room (less humidity)in the air if you still are in New Orleans with humidity in the nineties

red crowned likes this.
  16. scv55 May 12, 2016

I have no way of taking off the case back

17. alam May 12, 2016

unfortunately this remedy applies only to Invicta watches ...

::facepalm1::

18. Jaacck May 13, 2016

My partner has dropped her phone in the toilet....twice:confused: and putting it in rice both times has made it work again with no issues. So I agree with the comments above about putting it in rice and avoiding humid weathers in future with it.

19. Niklas Thinks snap ring pliers are for opening casebacks May 13, 2016

Buy a medium Sized snap ring plier with the 90 degree angle on the jaws.
    And the thread is right handed so turn to the left anti clockwise to unscrew the back.
    Auto zone, o raileys or a hardware store should have it.

20. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 13, 2016