Forums Latest Members

Modifying JB Champion strap on my new FOIS

1. Yukatan Feb 19, 2019

I was looking to the horned JB Champion, but decided I wanted a 19mm one with a slightly wider mesh, and chose this one. Love the style...

IMG_6760.jpg

But unfortunately it's too big, possibly by about a half inch. I wanted to mod/shorten the mesh strap, and have seen a different forum thread about modding the NASA strap, but this one looks different:
    IMG_6763.JPG
    In the lower left portion of the pic, you see the part that's attached to the mesh and hinges to the butterfly clasp... I want to remove that so I can cut and shorten the mesh with a dremel... but I have no idea how it's attached to the mesh. Is there teeth under there that I can pry open? I was thinking of prying from the underside, but wanted to know if anybody knew how these things are attached before I start messing with it.

On another note, I've also recently acquired a sapphire caseback without the movement ring... I don't see any 1863 spacer rings for sale, but I've heard I can buy a 28mm spacer. Anybody know the proper-fitting gasket I can buy for this? Thanks!

2. Yukatan Feb 21, 2019

3. wsfarrell Feb 22, 2019

I'm pretty sure there are teeth holding the bracelet. I've seen them in other Champions, though not in that location. When you pry it open, use a thin strong blade that's wider than the hinge, so as not to put dings in it.

4. mdtddd2007 Feb 24, 2019

That mesh looks great!

Yukatan likes this.
  5. Yukatan May 27, 2019

Update and a question--I bought a similar vintage mesh strap as a guinea pig, and I don't know how to remove the mesh that connects to the bracelet clasp bit. I can pry the tips away, but the middle portion doesn't budge... is it soldered?

6. ext1 May 27, 2019

In my experience the bracelets tend to be soldered at the edges, yes. Yours probably is too.

Also why would you try to remove the clasp and then dremel? If you say the mesh is mechanically removable because it has teeth, your aim should be to remove a portion of the mesh only and not touch the clasp connection part.