Forums Latest Members

Modern Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch presentation box...tsk tsk tsk

1. AchillesX Jul 8, 2018

1) Why is the freaking box so bloody HUGE? If you keep the box which is more like a briefcase in the cardboard box that will eat a ton of space in the closet. Luckily for me I decided to throw away the big cardboard box that houses the briefcase that houses...........................a watch. But still...too big!

2) There's probably a better chance of me being stuck by lightning and winning the lottery during the same day than me or any other average Joe out there going to space or on the Moon. Why include a velcro astronaut strap? Wouldn't it make more sense to include TWO extra bloody links? I have huge thick bones as well as a big wrist (7.5") and the bracelet that came with the watch was cutting off my circulation pretty much. Kudo's on adding the Nato strap though. Omega boutique wants $66 CAD for 2 extra links. Pass. Yes, I know I paid full retail price but still.

3) Jewellers loupe? Waste of space. Useless unless you repair your own watches which I wouldn't recommend to anyone. Garbage.

4) I probably sound like Jerry Seinfeld now but what's the deal with that huge metal...medallion thing? Where should I put it? Tarzan's ***? It's not even magnetic so I could put in on the fridge. Waste...waste.

5). Moonwatch...Space...First on the Moon...Professional Moonwatch...Legendary Moonwatch...NASA qualified for all space missions laser etched on the back. We get it Omega, we do. Why do you think people still buy this watch? The history behind it. I think they really go overboard with this whole thing. A simple back like Rolex should be enough. I had the money to buy the Sapphire "sandwich" as some call it but I doubt I'll sit in my bed at night staring at the damn movement plus the Hesalite is more pleasing to the eye.

Just my 2 cents. A simpler box like this would have been enough.

3e8609d2b8b09bee416021d0d41e4ea2--omega-watch-watch-box.jpg

Alex_TA, monti and LeonDeBayonne like this.
  2. larryganz The cable guy Jul 8, 2018

Where is ulackfocus? He would approve.

They were going to raise the price anyway (after changing from the model 3570.50 with pin/bushing type bracelet), and they maybe would raise the price $350-400, but they realized that they could raise the price by $750 just from adding some baubles that cost them about $100 (extra straps, tools, and screw type bracelet) > which the public might perceive to have a higher value than if they'd just upgraded the bracelet alone.

So, they wanted a place to store the extra straps (and some people love the velcro strap) plus the spring bar tool. And peeps with bad eyes will already have reading glasses but the 10x loupe is still useful for the blind to be able to change straps without destroying the lugs. Then there was a lot of wasted space they had to fill with the new storage compartments, so they added the medallion of the caseback to fill it. and thus the box grew into a behemoth.

queriver and lando like this.
  3. AchillesX Jul 8, 2018

The spring bar tool and the Nato strap are very useful indeed! Forgot to mention them. My bad :whipped:

4. Meme-Dweller Jul 9, 2018

I use the loupe all the time to size bracelets and even to regulate my Speedmaster. It's an essential tool for me when doing anything with watches. Also was helpful a couple weeks back when I got a splinter in my thumb. But yeah, the NASA strap is useless and the giant box is a pain in the butt for storage.

<3 the Omega loupe

20180607_094514.jpg
    frazierspa, 10mmauto and gostang9 like this.
  5. AchillesX Jul 9, 2018

Hope Omega doesn't read this thread otherwise they'll add a few band-aids in the next presentation box ;) and maybe some George Clooney autographed pictures of him smoking a pipe as well as a picture of Cindy Crawford's great great great great X 10 grand daughter modelling (maybe in the 2169 edition of the Moonwatch by the time they are selling real estate on Mars).

P.S. Nice watch you have there. Didn't mean to hijack your answer but I can see why the loupe is important for you.

Edited Jul 9, 2018
  6. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 9, 2018

Actually the best tool you can have (with a UV torch) when it comes to vintage.

lando and kov like this.
  7. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jul 9, 2018

Omega must know by now that we don't want a shoe box sized item...
    The only box to go is the cubic crater box of the late 1960s early 1970 !

8. LeonDeBayonne Jul 9, 2018

The design of packages delivered with the 60th anniversary speedmaster, railmaster and seamaster leads me to believe that Omega does not want to meet your/my/our preferences. They replicated the original red boxes in more than twice the original size. This is absurd.

SpeedyPhill likes this.
  9. gostang9 Jul 9, 2018

If your house/apartment is so small that you cannot fit this box in it somehow, maybe spend your money on a bigger living space before getting a watch? ::stirthepot:: (said with a smirk, intended for humour only, matching hyperbole with hyperbole...) ;)

Good question. I would guess the cost is so low they felt it added some novelty value with negligible cost impact. Also, it is useful for @Mad Dog when using as a belt...

I have to entirely disagree with you here:

First, for small-time watch hobbyist' like me, this loupe is handy for occasionally checking out the details on a dial (which I suspect is why they included it). Space is negligible, so not a waste at all.

Second, you suggest the only use would be for repairs. I would argue this is the only use they would NOT be good for. I highly doubt any serious watchmaker would rely on this for any actual repairs. I believe @Archer has actually commented about this loupe before as to it not being adequate for real work.

Maybe more like George... :cautious: I actually use it as a paper-weight on my desk, probably the most frequently used item in the box for me. (since it's always on my stack of 'not-filed-yet' papers).

I'm with you there. I guess the number of people they pull in with this is far greater than the few annoyed by it. (and even then, you and I still bought one so it didn't even stop us...) :cool:

akshayluc420 likes this.
  10. gostang9 Jul 9, 2018

Also, I've seen these entire presentation boxes with the 'extras' sold by people not needing/wanting them. If it really bothers you that much, you could convert it into a small amount of added cash... (not on this Forum of course... until another 187 posts at least...)
    ::psy::

11. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jul 9, 2018

Wivac likes this.
  12. Owlsu Jul 9, 2018

The box and everything in it is pretty unnecessary. I think Omega just did it to justify bumping the price up £700 over the 3570.50.00 model which is exactly the same.

I bought the watch because I love the history, but I don't need to be reminded about how it's flight qualified by NASA and was worn on the moon every single day I wear it.

So I ended up buying one of these from Germany which arrived in 5 days and a local jeweler put it on for a couple of £'s...

http://www.customwatchconcepts.com/product_info.php?products_id=26

Sapphire caseback so you can check out the cool movement plus it removes all the excess text fluff the official caseback has...that way you get the hesalite front without having to track down one of the hesalite front/sapphire back models from the early 90's and can revert it back to a normal (proper steel back/correct NASA model) Speedmaster within about 10 minutes if you ever want to.

Edited Jul 9, 2018
    AchillesX and Wivac like this.
  13. AchillesX Jul 9, 2018

Thank you for sharing that link! I just ordered one :)

14. Joshes Jul 9, 2018

Box in the 70s are more rational

15. AchillesX Jul 9, 2018

Not a bad idea. Thing is, there is always the "what if" I ever decide to sell the watch but seeing how I've wanted this watch for a long time I don't think that will ever be the case. I'll hold onto it for the time being as a memento. Thinking of buying one of those wooden omega boxes from Chrono24 (the one that the Seamaster comes with).

16. OWa Jul 11, 2018

I have to admit that I bought the new box with its content separatly in order to get the plain black NATO strap... :whistling:

17. akshayluc420 Jul 11, 2018

I read this post in Trump's voice for some reason. :p

I do agree though, a lot of these 'goodies' are extraneous; however I know a few non-WIS folks that loved all of that stuff. I personally prefer Omega only giving the huge box and paraphernalia for the MANY limited edition Speedies, and sticking to the simple box as you posted....with a return to a more sensible price!

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  18. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jul 11, 2018

19. ulackfocus Jul 11, 2018

I ♥️ this thread!

As if arguing about Speedmasters isn't enough, now let's complain about their boxes too!

That's an EASY question to answer - so you can look & feel more like a real astronaut when you play astronaut. Let's face it - as a kid, you can use an old motorcycle helmet and some tin foil to make your space suit and you're good to go, but when a grown man wants to have a NASA fantasy everything has to be as authentic as possible! (right down to the Underoos, eh @vbrad26?)

SpeedyPhill and vbrad26 like this.
  20. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jul 11, 2018

image.jpg Don’t ever collect Atmos clocks if you can’t pay the price.