Forums Latest Members
  1. CaptainWinsor Oct 18, 2019

Does anyone know why 2 watches with the same reference 03.2040.400/21.C496 has Chronometer on one and Automatic on the other

1B00895E-FCFF-4514-937D-14F89DEE887A.jpeg 426AB0B7-9AA9-444A-96C6-B888715B2D8C.jpeg

2. moyrules Oct 20, 2019

All brands do modifications in the designs of a model, somewhere in time. If we were talking about Rolex, all of them had been clear and grouped into different Mark (Mark I, Mark II, ...).

Checking a great watch portal, it seems like Chronometer was used in first years production, and modern watches use Automatic.

In the past, the chronomaster used “chronometer” related to a Chronometer certification (COSC). It can be the same with this model... or not. If someone has an idea, I would love to hear some information (more than my hypothesis).

GMTspeedmaster and CaptainWinsor like this.
  3. amcclell Oct 20, 2019

I'm not an expert but this is a Zenith Chronomaster model, and my understanding is that Chronomasters are all chronometer grade movements even when the dial doesn't specify. Zenith hasn't always had chronometer on the dial, just like they don't always have automatic on the dial. Over the years, some have had just one of those words and some dials may have even had both, as the original A386 models from the old days had both words on the dial. The reissue of this A386 model, came out the same as the 1969 version and then has been changed a couple of times to make the dial look cleaner. Zenith has had lots of variations on their dials over the years with placements of these words (as well as the 36,000 bph) and it is more of an aesthetic thing with them. They also used to number the rotors to reflect the number of COSC El Primero movements made by Zenith but then stopped doing that without much notice or fanfare. Zenith doesn't seem overly concerned about consistency of the dial but then again, the thing that really sets them apart is the story behind the movement that is underneath.

GMTspeedmaster and CaptainWinsor like this.