Forums Latest Members
  1. Waltesefalcon Mar 30, 2018

My youngest son is getting ready to graduate from high school and I am thinking that a watch would be a good gift, he really likes my Astronaut I just picked up but I am not giving him that. I had been leaning towards a Seiko but I know that Bulova did an Astronaut re-issue awhile back and was wondering what the opinions are about modern Bulovas.

2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 30, 2018

They're a division of Citizen now and they seem to be bringing out a lot of nice stuff... I wouldn't buy one as an investment, but as a nice quality watch which should survive the gentle treatment of a high school aged male they'd likely be a good buy. I saw a nice Accutron II diver lately, it was a really nice piece and not too expensive to boot. A good tool watch.

3. rcs914 Mar 30, 2018

I think that the Bulova moon watch is pretty nice. They can be found for far less than what is on the Bulova site.

https://www.bulova.com/products/96b251

Do you think he could handle an automatic watch? Then I'd be looking at a Seiko SKX007 or a Turtle. In quartz there are a ton of decent options - I'm somewhat partial to the solar powered radio synced watches myself - best deals on those are usually the Citizen chronographs.

tikkathree likes this.
  4. Waltesefalcon Mar 30, 2018

Yeah he can handle an automatic. Are the Bulova quartz movements jeweled or are they disposable?

5. rcs914 Mar 30, 2018

Pretty sure the 262hz movements are of reasonable quality, but they eat batteries since they don't step the seconds hand. Here's a thread on WUS where someone cracked theirs open. The new Bulova Curv watches have even prettier movements:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f705/precisionist-moon-watch-concerns-4293554.html

Waltesefalcon likes this.