Forums Latest Members
  1. Superpacker Apr 8, 2013

Can any of the knowledgeable fellas here comment as to which Omega models (and possible ref # and features to be more specific) hold their value or even increase in value? I would like my first Omega to be one that I know will at least steadily maintain value or increase in value. Pictures would also help if anyone has some. Sort of a visual guide.

2. ulackfocus Apr 8, 2013

What era? Are you interested in vintage (pre-1972), semi-vintage (1972 - 1984ish), modern (1985 - 2012), or brand spankin' new?

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 8, 2013

I think you might be asking a bit much here - for a first watch (or really first few watches) buy something that you love. I'm as big a proponent of vintage omegas as investments but I will buy the watch first and foremost because I like it.

shane0mack likes this.
  4. Mothra Apr 8, 2013

superpacker, given omegas current move upmarket, I'm not sure its possible to buy one that wont increase in value over the long term. Find a design you like, watch for a while to see what ones in good condition go for, and when you see the right one at a price you like, pounce. The learning and hunting is a huge part of the fun, but if you don't like it, you wont wear it, and whats the point of that? The wruw thread in the open forum is a good place to start. I find a new watch I MUST HAVE in there pretty much every day. If it doesn't do it for you your probably dead.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 8, 2013

Its a very big list, the Holy Trinity of sports watches (CK2913, CK2914, CK2915) are near the top, Deluxe and Grand Luxe Constellations and Seamasters, anything with a Cal 33.3CHRO, Cal 27CHRO, Cal320, Cal 321 or Cal 930. That doesn't even scratch the surface really but its a start.

Nobel Prize likes this.
  6. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 8, 2013

Just a short note of warning: Although vintage watches and other physical assets are becoming more popular, it's best not to regard them as any sort of investment or alternative cash deposit. Buy them & enjoy them - trying to predict what will remain popular or will gain in value is like trying to predict fashions (even if very well informed) & much harder than evaluating stocks and shares. To find a watch of the rarity and quality suggested above, you need to have a high level of knowledge - arguably higher than you would to get an equivalent return through stock picking.

If you would like somewhere to put money to guard against inflation or as an investment, you're better off with high yield shares, a deposit account or a government backed savings scheme.

On the other hand, if you've got money to blow on a fascinating and informative hobby, then watches are a great way to do it :)

7. Interstatetime Apr 8, 2013

The other thing you need to know is that you can't possibly know enough to pick out the right example of your chosen watch once you choose what to buy. Vintage watches are valuable when they are in original condition and not molested. Being a judge of this is not easy.

8. Superpacker Apr 8, 2013

Wow! Great thoughts Guys! Super helpful to gain perspective. But just to answer the specific question as to what I am interested, I find myself attracted most to vintage Omega Seamaster De Villes

9. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 8, 2013

For that particular model, I think it will at best keep its value - not a particularly collectible model.

10. Lex4TDI4Life Apr 8, 2013

It is also worth noting that "past performance is no guarantee of future returns"...

In other word's today's Constellation pie-pan could be tomorrow's Geneve Dynamic...(but probably not :b )

11. ulackfocus Apr 8, 2013

While this is correct in a manner of speaking, the safest bet for the best ROI is in blue chip vintage pieces. Pick the proven commodities in top condition. I'd add stick with precious metal in case the market for watches goes south so you'll always have the scrap value, but I know Sub and Speedy fans would disagree with me.

12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 8, 2013

The bluest of blue chip investments in vintage omegas is IMO the cal. 321 speedmasters - can't really see these watches lose value especially if the condition is great. The "moonwatch" history just can't be matched. I've said it before - if your primary goal in buying vintage omegas is ROI then you should just focus on buying the earliest, most original speedmasters in top condition. You won't lose.

13. Lex4TDI4Life Apr 8, 2013

I was being a bit cheeky, given the Oracle-like attempt at guidance requested. I can't imagine how Speedies would fall in value and unless something very weird happens in the gold market, solid gold pieces should at least retain their value, depending on how cheap you can snag them.

14. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 9, 2013

It depends on the time horizon. Something weird will happen to gold sooner or later.

The main driver for the historically high prices we have now is the instability around currency values and the low interest rates available to savers. Those will probably stabilise and improve sometime in the next decade.

Basically, you need watch/gold prices to at least keep pace with inflation for a piece to be a "sensible" place to put money. Given that the US/UK policy seems to be to erode debt by allowing inflation that might not be totally straightforward !

As with any investment the trick will be in buying right and knowing when to sell.

15. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 9, 2013

Agree, but for the beginner this can be a minefield.

16. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 9, 2013

Well as you know it's a minefield even for the experienced collector!

17. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 9, 2013

true words :D But isnt it that what we love in this hobby?

18. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 9, 2013

When you spend a few thousand on a watch that turns out to be a dodo...
    ::blowup::

19. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 9, 2013

My experience with vintage omegas is that 95% of the vintage omegas I view I can tell in 5 seconds or under whether I am interested or not. 4% will take 60 seconds or under and then there's that 1% that takes much longer to determine originality, condition etc. I would say vintage cal. 321 speedmasters make up a majority of that 1%.

NiklasARvid and SpikiSpikester like this.
  20. Superpacker Apr 9, 2013

So is the fact that I am interested in a clean SS seamaster De Ville, make it easier to find one in great condition at a reasonable price? From what I am feeling out, these are status quo.