Forums Latest Members
  1. alealberto May 15, 2014

Hello everybody, thanks in advance for reading.

I hace my grandpa's vintage Omega. During his entire life he told me that this watch *never* stopped working.

I wind it everyday since he passed away, to keep it that way.

He never got to tell where he bought it, which day or the model.

I've been looking online and really I find it impossible.

I wanna know which model is it (Seamaster or what) and the year of manufacture.

Also if the markers are made of gold, because a watchmaker told me he thought they are.

I would like to know all those things because I'd really want to make it look original again, if possible. As you can see te buckle don't look orginal at all, neither does the crown or the glass which is some sort of plastic.

I couldn't open it, I don'w want to force it.

Thanks!!

20140515_162117.jpg 20140515_162220.jpg 20140515_162543.jpg
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 15, 2014

The only way to give you an idea of the year of manufacture would be to have a watchmaker open the case and record the serial number from the movement, caliber (model) number of the movement and the case reference number from the inside of the caseback. Then enter the case reference number in the box here:

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database

These watches generally did not have model names. This looks like a manual wind 30mm movement from the 1950's (Caliber 26X). One of the best movements Omega ever made. I think that the hands may have been replaced at some point. The crown certainly has. Not unusual for a well-loved (read: well used) watch like this.

If you are running it every day, then it might be a good idea to have the watchmaker clean the watch when you bring it in for inspection. I would have the crown and crystal replaced with original Omega parts if possible (extra cost, but well worth it) and tell them not to touch the dial.

The patina is just perfect!
    gatorcpa

3. alealberto May 15, 2014

Thanks for al gatorcpa. I've finally opened without a scratch (youtube).

It reads 2505-29 in the interior.

I read somewhere that you have an argentine model. I am from Argentina, so I wonder how can I tell if it's made in Argentina or not.

I'm uploading you some pictures too to see if you can give me more information.

I'm very excited about all of this, is the interior make of gold???

There's also some sort of incription in the back, I can only read a date but not the name, don't know what that could be.

I searched on the database but only found 2505, not quite the same because it has a 12 on the top and not the same as mine.

Thanks for everything!!

20140515_205931.jpg 20140515_190301-1.jpg
  4. fjf May 16, 2014

5. Habitant May 16, 2014

Not every dial variation of a model is shown on the database, so you will see some small differences, such as you mentioned.

The case back is steel, as marked. The movement is gilded, so not solid gold, but a light gold plating. Serial number 14107500-yours-dates it to around 1954.

As to the Argentine connection, it may have been put in its case in Argentina (due to whatever import restrictions there may have been at the time), but I wouldn't describe that as made in Argentina. Others may know more than me on the subject...

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 16, 2014

Only solid gold watches had Argentina made cases. This was due to the import restrictions on gold products during the Peronista period in the 1940's and '50's. Here is an example:

[​IMG]
    Your watch case clearly states "Swiss Made" in the picture. So it was assembled in Switzerland. It certainly could have been originally sold in Argentina, though.

No gold. Not even gold plate. The pink color comes from an alloy of metals, mostly copper with some beryllium and iron. Read more here:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~fotoplot/rgold/rgold.html

The screws in the balance wheel may be gold. I don't remember.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

7. Habitant May 16, 2014