Forums Latest Members
  1. Zack May 9, 2017

2. Zack May 9, 2017

...sorry "dealers watch" of course...

3. wsfarrell May 9, 2017

Looks really good to me; one of the thickest cases I've seen, and everything appears original as far as I can see. Price might be a little optimistic unless it's had a recent service.

4. Zack May 9, 2017

5. R3D9 May 9, 2017

This looks great to me. Pictures taken under harsh lighting have a way of exaggerating scuffs and scratches. My experience is that those scratches you're seeing in the images won't be nearly as evident in the metal.

All that said - I don't know how you pass up on the one @ewand has for sale ;)

6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 9, 2017

I would trust the @ewand watch waaay more than Chrono24 one, just because of provenance...And its cheaper.

I realise Chono24 watch is the racing dial, but finding a nice black dial might be harder in todays market, I think they have been neglected until now.

chipsotoole and ewand like this.
  7. Zack May 9, 2017

Totally agree with what You say spacefruit, but then there is the racing dial...and the possibly refinished case...
    My actual concern and question is if there are any obvious issues with the finnish watch (and/or the seller)
    One of the few things I think I can look for regarding the MKII is the thickness of the case at the lugs and to me it looks untouched.
    And it is newly serviced (hopefully)

8. ewand May 9, 2017

Obviously, it would be improper for me to compare with the watch I am currently offering for sale ;)

Apart from that, the Chrono24 one looks to be in good shape. There are some nicks on the sharp edge of the case where it meets the crystal, but you'd never notice them on the wrist, I expect. The dial & hands look to be really good - it's not uncommon to see them quite faded, so I'd suspect this watch has lived its life in the dark, or they were maybe replaced in the days when tritium service dials might still have been around.

I don't think that bracelet is correct; I think it should have a 1162/173 (see other details & pics on https://omegaforums.net/threads/speedmaster-mark-ii-love.51132/), whereas it looks to me that the Chrono24 watch has a 1479, which dates from early 1990s so won't be original. The 1162 tapers towards the clasp, too (see https://omegaforums.net/threads/shortening-1162-bracelet.38748/)

As for the case thickness; compare the case in question:
    upload_2017-5-9_17-25-16.png

... with my beater SMII with new racing dial & hands, and a case that was refinished at STS:
    [​IMG]

... so maybe a little thicker. Here's what the case looked like before refinishing...
    upload_2017-5-9_17-38-17.png

9. ewand May 9, 2017

Regarding the Chrono24 MkII, on 2nd thoughts, I'm not so sure the hands are all that good. It looks to me like the minute and the chrono hands might actually be bent. Since the MkII has a flat topped crystal, it wouldn't be an optical illusion, I don't think... and the hour hand looks straight and true.

look at the shadows:
    upload_2017-5-9_18-14-2.png

upload_2017-5-9_18-14-35.png

Edited May 9, 2017
  10. Zack May 9, 2017

Thanks ewan for constructive input, didnt notice about the hands myself.
    Maybe Im being a little too picky sometimes, We'll see what happens.

11. Zack May 25, 2017

Just wanted to share what happened later:
    DSC_0013.JPG Many thanks to @flame who sold it to me :thumbsup:
    Serviced and timed to perfection by STS and with a non polished case.

12. chipsotoole May 25, 2017

Very nice. 3 weeks till my recently purchased Mk2 comes back from a service and glass replacement. No case polishing....Can't wait....It won't leave my wrist for a month!!

13. fourtaelsgold May 25, 2017

Was going to start a new thread but stumbled upon this one where Zack was searching for a Mk2 just like I am right now so I thought I'd post here instead.

I'm looking for a racing dial Mk2 and found this one on eBay:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/222517484184Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

What's everyone's thoughts on this?
    I'm not sure if I should get one in a beat up condition and get it restored or try to find a nice example
    Also, does anyone know any watchmakers in Hong Kong that could restore the sunburst finishing on the case?

14. Zack May 26, 2017

No expert but I think it looks nice, compared to mine maybe the case is a little more beat up but the white hands seems a bit whiter?
    Remember to count in a service too. 20170512_082945_zpsr6arf1zl.jpg

15. vienna May 27, 2017

Looks pretty original...i like the dial.
    But overall an ambitious price in my opinion:)

16. ewand May 28, 2017

"original unpolished case" - that might be a euphemism for "the case is a bit beaten up", but I'd say it's been polished in a past life.

There's a lovely, serviced black dial mk II in the For Sale section that's a lot nicer ;-)

17. fourtaelsgold May 28, 2017

Thanks ewand! I gotta say I have actually seen your listing for the mk2 and I've actually been very tempted by it.
    Unfortunately I'm looking for one with a racing dial though :(
    If I was looking for a black dial one I would've snapped up your one in a heartbeat