Mistake maybe…what to do??

First post here..
So I’ve been thinking about getting a nice watch for approximately the past year. About 4 months ago I started looking seriously and was instantly drawn to Omega. At first, the moon watch drew me in, but I also explored Seamasters as well. Long story short, I ended up deciding on the Seamaster 300 Heritage. Ordered it from my AD, waited 2 weeks, and have been wearing it now for just over a week. Honestly, I’m kind of flipping out thinking I should have went with the moon watch. I wanted a one and done as this will likely be my one really expensive watch. Figure maybe I’ll get a few more down the road but this will have to last me a while and would be my nicest one to pass down to my son. Im not so much concerned about water, but the 300m resistance spoke to me as a more robust durability and less worry and concern of being super careful all the time as I would like to wear it as much as possible. I like vintage reissue stuff (guitars) so was drawn to the heritage edition but I’m wondering if it’s appeal will wear off over time and if the Moonwatch is much more a standard classic. Am I crazy to already be thinking of selling this one and getting a moon watch??

Like 9
You’re not crazy. But why don’t you wait and see how you like it before flipping out—and flipping the watch.

Like 4
What you have here is a fabulous watch, congratulations! That's one which you should never let go.

Now, start putting aside some money (again), and in time you can buy the Speedmaster also. Then you'll have two fabulous watches.

Like 14
I wanted a one and done
Well this is your first problem :D There is so much to enjoy, it’s hard to pick just one.

To play devils advocate- if you bought the Speedmaster, do you think you would possibly flip out and wonder if you should have gone with the Seamaster? Both are big purchases. Both are robust in their own ways. Both are incredible watches.

Why not let this one sink in by wearing it for a month straight. It’s a gorgeous watch- admire it. Enjoy it for that time and maybe then reevaluate it if it hasn’t spoken to you.

Like 3
What to do? Wear it for a couple of months and then report back. Too soon to give up on the watch.

Like 3
I think this is just typical buyer's remorse. Take a few breaths and see how you feel after some time.

Like 2
Hey there and welcome.
Congrats on your purchase. No need to flip out. A Seamaster diver (in either Pro or Heritage form) is a great "one and done" watch. It's sufficiently robust and water resistant for an active lifestyle, yet dressy enough for most situations. If you like vintage re-issue stuff then the Heritage is the way to go.

I was in a similar position to you 18 years ago and went for a Seamaster Pro. Absolutely no regrets. In due course, you'd probably be like me. You'll get the itch again many years later, save up, and when your wife finally gives you the green light... get the Speedmaster so you can have two fantastic but different watches.

Like 3
What they said - it's a beauty. Wear it, you'll look at it at some point and realize you made an awesome choice.

Like 2
Welcome and congrats on a lovely watch. If this brings any comfort- there’s a sea of used Speedmasters out there from which you can have your pick. There aren’t as many of these floating around so you are already ahead of the scarcity game.

Like 3
You didn’t make a mistake. The Seamaster 300 and the Speedmaster are easily Omega’s two most iconic watches and some of the best watches that the industry has to offer. I own the 300 Heritage and a 1969 vintage Speedmaster. If you’re like most Speedmaster owners, you won’t use the chronograph very often and you’ll use the tachymetre scale even less. Water resistance isn’t great and you’ll be polishing scratches out of the hesalite all the time. But it is one of the coolest watches on the planet with a historical pedigree like no other. In my opinion, the 300 is more versatile than the Speedmaster, but still a tool watch at heart. Obviously it’s far more water resistant than the Speedmaster, its caliber 8912 is one of Omega’s best movements (I love the time zone feature), the sapphire crystal is much more resistant to scratches than the Speedy’s hesalite crystal, it has a display case back, and the sandwich dial and lumed bezel are awesome. Bottom line: you can’t go wrong with either watch, but the best course of action is to get them both!
DCA8F91B-2AC4-427D-9CC3-B7BAC84DCBF4.jpeg
upload_2023-5-1_23-0-3.jpeg

Like 13
If you're intent on flipping, wear it a little longer before selling then buying a Speedy. You're going to be eating the depreciation anyways, might as well enjoy it for a while.

Like 1
Agree with several others here - 2 great watches. Both are true classics. And, the mind can play tricks on you shortly after a major acquisition (mine does all the time).

There is no right answer here, but more importantly- there is no wrong answer either. Sleep on it for a few days or weeks. Ultimately you’ll know what’s right for you.

Finally, and this is coming from a true chronograph addict, I think the Seamaster 300 may be a better choice for a one watch collection, for exactly the reasons you spelled out.

Anyway, take some time and you will get to whatever the right answer is for you :thumbsup:

Like 1
Every watch is The One until payment clears and it's on the wrist.

Sounds like you are in the throws of leaving the "Quick Honeymoon" phase and now entering "Buyer's Remorse".

Truthfully I feel like the entire "One and Done" scenario only exists if:
A) It was a gift.
B) A family heirloom.
C) Researched and Saved For for years and years...

otherwise it's a bullshit notion that can only be achieved through many purchases/sales/purchases/sales ~ ie: mistakes and learning over many years... Many Ones and (then hopefully) Done is more like it I believe.

Nice watch -- wear it for a while longer before getting itchy with decisions.

Like 4
I got my speedy around 30 years ago. I was more into mechanical dolls and birds. A lot of the stuff I am interested in could be considered rare and unusual. Something the average person might see once or a few times in there life. Are they still rare and unusual if one sees them every day?

Never really had any chance on a one and done, as I was attending collector meetings. Clocks seemed closer to the automata I was interested in. I figured if I had a watch it should be one of the best. Not sure what came first the Speedmaster or the Tissot T12. The latter was a box of loose parts.

Curiously watches like the Seamaster 300 did not come up. Regular Seamasters from the 1950s were what I went for. Not sure how I missed the 300. Perhaps the dials made them look like the myriad of quartz watches with the oversized hands.

Had I the knowledge I have now. I think I might have gone for a 300. Would be much easier to service. May be years before I come up with the cash flow to service the Speedmaster I have the way I want it serviced. Having is never quite so much a feeling of adventure as the anticipation of getting something new.

You made a great choice. It is always the one that one does not have what is the one that one regrets.

The nice thing about these watches is there are plenty of them what have been made. So there is always the possibility of finding the next adventure.

Like 2
Welcome! The 300 is a killer watch.

One and done, eh? Boy did you come to the wrong place. This is a home of wise and experienced enablers. Before you know it you’ll be on your 5th ‘last one, I promise’.

The trend, apparently, is three watches these days and with the Speedy you’ll be 2/3 there. Keep the 300 and get a Speedy.

Like 3
Keep the Seamaster, beautiful watch! You would have felt the same buyers remorse if you had gone for the Speedy. Hang in there!

Like 1
Thanks everyone for your replies!

I’m new to the world of watches but am all too familiar with “just one more” coming from the worlds of firearms and guitars. I’ve gotten to the point where I’m pretty settled on those and watches will be my next journey. I knew I would never be a one and done, and when I can afford it, the speedmaster will be next on my list. I will continue to enjoy the 300 and will do my best to forget about the moonwatch for now, knowing it will be in my future eventually.

Like 7
I don’t think you’ll regret this watch in a few months. Just enjoy it now. The Speedmaster will come. I think it’s a good idea to sleep on a major watch purchase for a few months anyway. A lot of times you fall in love with a watch seeing pictures and have to have it. Then a couple months later you’re over it. I think you’ll really enjoy that watch as you continue to wear it every day.

Stick around here too and learn a bit more about watches in general but also Speedmasters. You may decide you prefer a vintage or neo-vintage Speedy with tritium lume. Then you can learn more about them and when the time comes you’ll have the knowledge to make a good purchase. Also, you’ll be able to keep an eye on the for sale section here and maybe find a good deal. Welcome!

Like 1
Hey there and welcome.
Congrats on your purchase. No need to flip out. A Seamaster diver (in either Pro or Heritage form) is a great "one and done" watch. It's sufficiently robust and water resistant for an active lifestyle, yet dressy enough for most situations. If you like vintage re-issue stuff then the Heritage is the way to go.

I was in a similar position to you 18 years ago and went for a Seamaster Pro. Absolutely no regrets. In due course, you'd probably be like me. You'll get the itch again many years later, save up, and when your wife finally gives you the green light... get the Speedmaster so you can have two fantastic but different watches.

This.

The Heritage is a great go-anywhere, do-anything watch. The Speedy Pro is also, albeit with a different and very useful complication.

Were I to assemble a two-watch collection that would take me anywhere and be robust enough to pass on down (or across)n generations, these would be high on my list. Iconic steel sports watch + dressy diver. Poifect.

Now you just need that vintage beater...

Like 3