Forums Latest Members
  1. dx009 Aug 3, 2016

Is it safe to say that this Omega is missing the tension ring ? I see an unusual space between the dial and the case and the crystal. (not my picture)

112528826_2_1000x700_ceas-original-omega-fotografii.jpg

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 3, 2016

Yes - I see them in watches where they don't belong, and missing in watches where they do belong. Using the right crystal, and an OEM one, is important for a proper job. Of course something else might work, and to the untrained eye might look fine, but it's not correct...

3. dx009 Aug 3, 2016

Thanks Archer. Do you think the crystal is also non original ?

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 3, 2016

Does it have the Omega logo in the middle?

5. dx009 Aug 3, 2016

I don't have it yet... It would have been easy to tell...
    Also, is it easy and cheap to source or do I have to buy both the crystal and the tension ring ? I've seen some on cousins for almost 10 pounds but I don't know if they're OEM Omegas...

Edited Aug 3, 2016
  6. Canuck Aug 3, 2016

Genuine Omega tension ring type (I've heard them called "armoured") crystals have a unique tension ring, and are only sold WITH the tension ring. DO NOT let anyone talk you into using a generic crystal with tension ring!

7. dx009 Aug 4, 2016

That's what I want to do. If the crystal is not OEM I want to replace it with an original one complete with the tension ring. I just don't know where to find the cheapest ones...

8. Longbow Aug 4, 2016

I've heard this tension ring thing come up a few times; can someone explain what it looks like, where it is located and how it works? Could a missing tension ring be why the crystal in my Grandfathers Tissot keeps falling out?

9. dx009 Aug 4, 2016

There are many styles of tension rings... This is how it looks (approximately) for my Omega watch that is pictured above. Right is for gold or gold plated watch, left is for stainless steel.

As far as I know it serves an aesthetic purpose but it's also used to hold the crystal in place... Can you post a picture of yours maybe someone can tell whether that's the problem... Sometimes a gasket is also applied, such as on sports watches...

[​IMG]

Edited Aug 4, 2016
  10. Longbow Aug 4, 2016

Bloody typical! The crystal is well and truly locked in place, so I can't show any "topless" photos of the watch at the moment. It's quite warm here today so I guess the crystal has expanded; thinking back I noticed it being loose when in the draw in winter.
    It would be nice to be able to wear it from time to time without having to worry about loosing the crystal and thereby damaging the hands/dial. It used to belong to my maternal Grandfather who died befor I was born so it must be well over 50 years old but still looks quite contemporary, only the small diameter gives it away.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.png image.png image.png image.png image.png

11. mac_omega Aug 4, 2016

It looks as if there were a tension ring - maybe a slightly wrong diameter of crystal/tension ring all together....

Longbow likes this.
  12. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 4, 2016

I have a Seamaster with a missing tension ring. I never bothered to replace the crystal. However on my next trip to the supply house I will take care of the missing tension ring. The crystal is a Omega with the logo in the center of the crystal missing the tension ring If I am really lucky the supply house may have a spare tension ring. They install a lot of crystals in watches for jewelers, However usually I'm not that lucky and will have to purchase a new crystal

avs.jpg
    Longbow likes this.
  13. Longbow Aug 4, 2016

Does anyone have something like a section drawing that shows the ring, case and crystal in relation to one another? I think it's the name that is confusing me. I can't quite see how a ring would put the crystal under tension...under compression I could understand (like an external c-clip or o-ring with smaller ID as the crystal OD).

14. dx009 Aug 4, 2016

I think it does just the opposite. Since it's applied on the inside of the crystal it expands it a little bit and then the crystal pushes up against the cases and it stays there.

Your Tissot is lovely but, as mac said, I think it already has a tension ring... I think that the crystal is wrong in your case... Or maybe the tension ring might be wrong or faulty...

Longbow likes this.
  15. Longbow Aug 4, 2016

You might be right about the wrong crystal. I had it serviced by a local jeweler and, although it runs well, that's when the problems with the crystal started.

16. Longbow Aug 4, 2016

Looks like I will have to find a solution now - my 12 year old daughter has discovered it.:eek:
    image.jpeg

ahartfie and Tritium like this.
  17. dx009 Aug 4, 2016

She might be a better watchmaker than the one that worked on it prior... :p

PS: Your Tissot is most definitely from the late 60s or early-mid 70s.

Longbow likes this.
  18. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Aug 4, 2016

this is the watch that started me on the slippery slope of Omega collecting
    -and why I am particularly fond of dome dial round cased Connies
    Tissot Seastar Automatic 1972 -has a cal 2481 -the sister movement to the Omega 1481(hence the link to Omega collecting
    -unusual but original lume inside the indices
    not an especially valuable watch but still splendid for all that
    by chance when I sent it for service the crystal didn't have a tension ring in it -and the crystal was only staying put by good fortune
    -now running at Connie-like specs - a tribute to the Omega/Tissot movement (and watchmaker ;))

my better half wears this watch daily

first pic re-service - date change all sorted now
    SAM_5418.JPG

IMG_3861.JPG

ahartfie, dx009 and Longbow like this.
  19. Longbow Aug 4, 2016

Mine has this text on the case back: "Use Key No. 315 T" and there are no signs of notches or even case opening scratches. I read that the case is opened via the crystal!

20. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Aug 4, 2016

you are correct that yours is a front-loader
    mine is a screw back