Forums Latest Members
  1. Davidt Feb 24, 2014

2. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 24, 2014

What is it with this sudden influx of bargains. Is the end of the world coming and we did not hear about it::book::

3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Feb 24, 2014

Tritium, Davidt and Barking mad like this.
  4. Davidt Feb 24, 2014

I'm kicking myself as I actually saw it when it was live but only on my phone and thought it was an 861. I had a proper look ten minutes later and realised what it was but I was too late!!!:mad:

5. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 24, 2014

A truly brilliant show and a great watch for some lucky individual::psy::

6. ulackfocus Feb 24, 2014

It's Watch Season. Haven't you been paying attention?

7. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 24, 2014

Obviously not, I didn't realise that they were giving them away:eek:

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 24, 2014

It is a well used 105.003, from what I see. The dial is tired, the plots are a little white for my taste. The case is unpolished. That bezel has turned a lovely colour. The bracelet alone is valuable, and the prices of recent 003's have been much higher, so if offered this in the metal, I would take it like a flash.

it is the mechanics of the sale I don't like.
    that was an open auction, ended early, it seems, at a below market value.

The seller who has a spotty history of 93 going back several years. The last two available sales are for DVD's.

And somewhere, in my mind, I think I have seen those photos before.

Now I am on red alert having lost more on eBay than many people spend in their lives. one scam is to copy an auction where the number of bidders is huge, the item fiercely bid, and the price goes high. The item can be anything, but the scammers are watched so constantly looking for unfamiliar items followed by a small band of collectors. Especially where the auction appears to be an item sold by a naive seller.

The scammers copy this auction and put the often very obscure item up for a low price, ending it early at say half the value of the real auctions ending price.

Then they have a system of sending paypal a fake certificate of posting, and show a signed for receipt. (I don't know how they do this, I think they alter the address after posting to an accomplice).

After which paypal will not open a case as they are "satisfied" the seller has sent it, and it has been signed for, apparently at the purchasers address but in fact at another.

One quick phone call and I could have my mind put at rest, I suppose, before I sent the money.....rarely have I been conned after talking to the seller. In fact I have two very good watches which set alarm bells off, but after I spoke to the sellers by phone I was happy.

i wish the buyer every success in this, but it smells from here.

I watch wait wait and hope I am wrong.

9. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 24, 2014

Awhh man, why did you tell me this.
    So you couldn't recover from Paypal?
    Say it ain't so.

10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 24, 2014

PayPal refused to acknowledge that the receipt supplied by the vendor was a fake.
    I even had documentation from the post office showing the receipt supplied to PayPal, showed a different address to the one in the system.
    for the money involved, it was not worth the lawyers. (£1000).
    but enough to learn.
    and the lesson, always speak to the vendor by phone. the crooks are happy to hide behind keyboards, not so much phones.

dragoman likes this.
  11. pitpro Likes the game. Feb 25, 2014

and eBay buyer protection was no help with this?

12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 25, 2014

Best protection is with your credit card companies. I don't bother with paypal or ebay - just deal with the credit card company directly.

13. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 25, 2014

Respectable Member MSNWatch

Inadvertently I missed the date-line of 'eBay Buyer Protection' for the dispute I had with the seller. I then brought the issue to the attention of the credit card company.

After some long while of investigations, the credit card company came back with this.

'We can only conduct investigations on the validity of the transaction. We are unable to intervene when we're not party to the agreement.

From the information provided, it appears that you've received the goods and services provided by this Merchant. Unfortunately because we're only processing the transaction and not a party to the agreement, we are unable to obtain a refund for you in this instance.

We'll now cease our investigation and close the file in relation to this dispute.

......... we suggest you contact the Merchant and try to reach an agreement. If you're unable to agree, we recommend you contact your state or territory consumer protection agency for further advice.'

Thank you.

14. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 25, 2014

Don't want to discuss your situation again but your issue was quite different.

15. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 25, 2014

Respectable Member MSNWatch

Sorry, I must have missed the ingredient.

Thank you.

16. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 25, 2014

ebay will not act if paypal already has a dispute case opened.

It is Orwellian.

all the protection and safety declarations are no protection against a deliberate and well planned fraud, and not worth the pixels they are displayed on.

17. michael e Still learning. Feb 28, 2014

I bought this.
    It was delivered the next day but had a few issues.
    Bottom chrono button not working.
    Hour register hand drifting.
    No tritium on dial.
    Cracked/missing tritium on hands.
    Hands missing paint and had also been touch up with a brush.
    Non original glass.
    Crown pulled all the way out. Plus a rusty stem.
    I am going to Give it a clean/ oil and get it looking a bit nicer hopefully and get some old tritium back on the dial and hands.
    I didn't complain at this price though. The movement looks fine and correct.
    time for a late night i think.

Georgieboy58 and Barking mad like this.
  18. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 28, 2014

Great buy.

19. michael e Still learning. Mar 1, 2014

More or less finished this, I like the look of the watch now, it is not ideal to relume but I think it looks nicer now, the tritium gives only a short slight glow as you would expect. At this stage the tritium mixture has not cured fully but I had been doing this watch all night and wanted it back together.
    The movement was nice to start with so I partially stripped and cleaned it while oiling/cleaning the jewels. The pusher stems also needed cleaning and oiling and the holes in the movement ring cleaned/oiled. No drift of the hour register now and everything is working as is should.
    New bigger crown set and new Omega plexi fitted too. I will wear this on a comfy old NATO for the next few days to see how it runs. Certainly a good wearer that I won't be afraid of marking as it is not mint to start with. I am far from a expert at doing this I know and some will say it should have been left alone but I think the watch was a bit sad and neglected looking before.

Before.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lando, Tritium, Georgieboy58 and 7 others like this.
  20. pitpro Likes the game. Mar 1, 2014

Wow! I would call that "expert"
    The lume color and application is perfect.
    What do you use to apply lume to the
    hour markers so that it stays within the
    border so precisely?
    Nice work!

Northernman likes this.