Forums Latest Members
  1. Bas May 20, 2014

I recently bought a new Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean (8500 movement), although I am very happy with the timepiece. The hour hand seems to be misalligned and I want to sent it in to fix this. I was wondering what your opions are on this. Also the date changes on 23.50, is this normal?

Regards,

Bas

2014-05-20 20.00.42.jpg

2. ulackfocus May 20, 2014

Your watch is compensating for a slight time zone variation. You must be located off the center of your zone. :p I'm sure Omega can realign the hand relatively easy, but it might have to go to a service center.

Bas likes this.
  3. Bas May 20, 2014

Well I just moved to the center of my timezone, still the date changes at 23.50 ;)

4. Mothra May 20, 2014

My speedy broad arrow was almost exactly that far out from the factory. It didn't bother me so it's currently being sorted at first service seven years later. Your mileage may vary...

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 20, 2014

If you follow Omega specifications, the hand alignment is only checked at 12 o-clock. So if you can rotate the hands until the hour hand is at 12, then note how many minutes past 12 the minute hand is, this should be +/- 2 minutes to be in accordance with Omega tolerances. If it is more than 2 minutes before or after 12 when the hour hand is exactly on 12, it is outside Omega tolerances and can be fixed under warranty.

Of course any watchmaker that really cares will make it bang on, but we are talking about Omega's mass production here...

In terms of the date change, Omega allows a very generous +/- 10 minutes either side of midnight for the date change on most of their watches, the 8500 included.

Cheers, Al

JosephxSxN and Bas like this.