Forums Latest Members
  1. rmcd Dec 23, 2016

Hello. This is my first post.

Should I accept the word from a reputable watch repair guy that a new day wheel may not be perfectly aligned in the window?

Background - I bought the watch in Zurich. It came with a German day wheel. I asked the watch repair guy here in Toronto to order an English wheel and install it. The result is pictured. I challenged him about it and was told that there isn't an adjustment and that it's the nature of the day wheel.

Omega 1 front.JPG

For completeness, the watch is a calibre 752, serial number indicates 1970. Case ref 166.111. Back is below.

Omega 1 back.JPG

I expect I know the answer you'll all give me:
    a) try another repair guy (I'd appreciate a recommendation for Toronto) and
    b) put the German wheel back in and learn my German day names.

Is that correct? Or is there an adjustment? Or a different wheel. The container for the wheel says "72207501516A". I assume that's a part number.

Many thanks.

Longbow likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Dec 23, 2016

Two possibilities:

Wrong day wheel
    Wrong watchmaker

You could always bleach off the German days and hand write in English days with a Sharpie. We've seen crap like that on eBay so why can't you do it? ;) :p

X350 XJR and Foo2rama like this.
  3. rmcd Dec 23, 2016

Thanks. Might be easier to simply learn German.

Vitezi, Longbow and ulackfocus like this.
  4. Canuck Dec 23, 2016

When you advance the day and date during adjustment or re-setting, you should see a distinct "click" of the day ring and the date ring as they advance. I suspect you are not seeing that distinct "click" when the day ring advances. I think you need to talk to whoever did the work.

5. rmcd Dec 23, 2016

Thanks Canuck. When I manually advance it to set the day,date,time it does "click" as it changes. But I haven't watched it during its normal change time to see what it does. Either way the misalignment ends up being the same.

Regardless, i gather I shouldn't accept this nor the explanation.

Since you're a fellow Canuck, do you know a good repair guy in the GTA?

Many thanks.

6. Vicke Dec 23, 2016

The forums resident canadian watchmaker is @Archer . Don't know where in the country he located, but if he´s to far away or to busy perhaps he can point you in the direction someone competent.

Edited Dec 24, 2016
    chronos likes this.
  7. Longbow Dec 23, 2016

I would have left it with the original language, has a certain charm. I've got watches with English, French and German....thankfully no Arabic or Chinese, then I probably would change. Who knows what's really written on the thing?
    IMG_3885.JPG IMG_3886.JPG IMG_3887.JPG

Edited Dec 23, 2016
    chronos and GregH like this.
  8. rmcd Dec 24, 2016

Thanks @Longbow. All very pretty and perfectly aligned. And you're right, I think I'll end up going back to the original German.

I agree on the point about not knowing what's really written. I was given a t-shirt recently with Korean on it. I had that checked by two different Korean nationals.

Thanks @Vicke for the pointer to @Archer. @Archer.... I'd appreciate a PM or post with a suggestion for the Toronto area. Thanks so much.

Happy holidays to all who maintain and contribute to this wonderful resource.

Cheers

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 24, 2016

You have a PM...and my guess who did the work too...:)

EDIT - and I was correct! :thumbsup:

Edited Dec 24, 2016
    chronos, Kmart and X350 XJR like this.
  10. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 24, 2016

Slight thread drift, but I think I am correct in saying that one Omega was produced only with a non-English date - the cal.1045 Speedmaster mark V, though some have been modded with an English date wheel http://www.chronomaddox.com/MarkSeries.html

11. Longbow Dec 24, 2016

So, time to start practicing. Here's a little helper for the holidays
    English-German.jpg

chronos likes this.
  12. rmcd Dec 24, 2016

A perfect Christmas present :) Thank you. I'll print that and post it on my office wall.

@Archer has given me some really good advice and nailed-in-one the watch repair guy. I'll post an update once I've followed his advice.

Merry Christmas all !

Longbow likes this.