Forums Latest Members

Mis~Information Abounds!!!

1. omugaman Jul 12, 2015

I recently sourced an exceptionally Rare 1940's Omega bumper auto wit REAL Guilloche enamel outer chapter.
    This got me to thinking about the REAMS of Wrong & Mis-information that abound on the internet as Fact.

I'd like to mention JUST A Cpl of these 100% Wrong myths .

1} Guilloche enamel dials. From a reasonably detailed search I can Honestly state that 99.9999% of Omega watches that are being sold as & described as 'Guilloche enamel' today are 100% WRONG & have Nothing to do with that title.

It is actually Humanly Impossible , in most watches seen so far , for these watches to have Ever been Possible to have been Guilloch-ed ......
    There are NO arguments Or possibilities, NO chance of being wrong ...... Guilloche enamel is ONLY One thing......... an opinion even yours , does not get air time .......... when a pattern is Engraved into/onto METAL {NO options} IF the dial {in the case of watches} is not engraved , it simply CANNOT BE Guilloche enamel. Engaved , meaning a pattern "machined into" the METAL Surface
    ALL of the Omegas that I have seen {except the Original one that I recently purchased} have enamel applied Over TEXTURED DIALS..... I.E. Waffle , Honeycomb , textured dials. They often look Fantastic............... B.U.T. They have ZERO to do with Guilloche enamel. Again - it is Literally IMPOSSIBLE to even do what poeple are saying "has been done" - Literally Impossible...... yet no-one has seemed to challange the Numerous items being sold that are NOT WHAT THEY ARE SOLD AS!!! Hmmm Refunds by the 100's maybe ..... which I'd have No problem with ..... as so called Professional dealers have the Obligation to know..... IF they do not know...... they then have the OBLIGATION to Learn. If they do not do so , Professional is the Last thing that they are!!

The process of creating a Fine guilloche enamel watch dial is Very Laborious , very time consuming , Highly Risky as to the % of 'failures' that come out of the kiln & VERY Expensive.

I have yet to start my research proper - Yet from what I already know , the one i have is More than likely a prototype & an Unbelievably Rare example. {c.1948}.
    If you try a google search now , or at Anytime .... have a look at what people {including dealers that Should know better / Should be More informed} & I will Guarantee you that you will find several "guilloche enamel" dialled Omegas for sale.
    The thing is that EVERY Single One is WRONGLY DESCRIBED , THEREFORE ANY BUYER HAS THE LEGAL RIGHT FOR A FULL REFUND , AT LEAST IN MY GREAT COUNTRY.
    2} Is PATNIA .................... Patina is & has Long been , regarded as a Very desirable "aspect" to Any antique piece..
    Spotting , peeling , paint damage & general dis-colouration IS NOT PATINA ....... GET HONEST & CALL IT WHAT IT IS ....... D.A.M.A.G.E. AGEING , DISCOLOURATION ..... YES .............. PATINA ... AMASSIVE & RESOUNDING NO................. PATINA IS NOT DAMAGE.
    The word has been Hogh jacked , stolen & IS having the TRUE Meaning of what the word is & means TOTALLY CHANGED , TURNED UPSIDE & CRIMINALLY STOLEN.

Patina on ANY antique , be that wood or metal IS a Very Desirable aspect............ that Only time can give birth too.............. it IS NOT PATINA when a watches dial , has severe spotting , dis-colouration , aging etc etc....
    THE WORD HAS BEEN STOLEN & USED AS LIE.................. DAMAGE IS DAMAGE , GET SOME COURAGE & CALL IT WHAT IT IS............... PATINA ON 98%OF WATCHES ~~ IS IN FACT D.A.M.A.G.E. THE TRUTH SHOULD & W.I.L.L. REIGN SUPREME , LETS BLOODY HOPE AT LEAST.

The following link should assist you in referring to the ONLY Real Guilloche enamel dial Omega from the 1940's that I know of!! [link deleted]
    I hope that this will start some people thinking for themselves , instead of believing everything that they read..... regardless from whom has said it........................ even Me.... do your own research , don't Just believe me wholeheartdly...... thats how crap becomes fact {in some minds}............... From my experiences ...... it ISNT always the "big dealers" that have the best knowledge at all ......................... there is a Large serving of Food for thought contained within..... USE IT.

Edited by a mod Jul 13, 2015
  2. wsfarrell Jul 13, 2015

You wouldn't be connected with Hobart Town, would you?

3. ConElPueblo Jul 13, 2015

Don't drink and do internet, kids.

4. ConElPueblo Jul 13, 2015

Seems like it. Both have pretty laid back attitude to punctuation and capital letters.

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  5. davidswiss Jul 13, 2015

That reads as quite odd.

6. persco Jul 13, 2015

I think this thread is D.A.M.A.G.E.

7. Geo! Jul 13, 2015

Wake up with a sair heid the day?

The pictures in the link were crap if you were trying to illustrate what Guilloche should look like.

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 13, 2015

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed did we?

patina

/ˈpætɪnə/
    noun (pl) -nas
    a film of oxide formed on the surface of ametal, esp the green oxidation of bronze orcopper See also verdigris (sense 1)
    any fine layer on a surface: a patina of frost
    the sheen on a surface that is caused bymuch handling

Patina (/ˈpætɨnə/ or /pəˈtiːnə/) is a thin layer that variously forms on the surface of stone; on copper, bronze and similar metals (tarnish produced by oxidation or other chemical processes);[1] on wooden furniture (sheen produced by age, wear, and polishing); or any such acquired change of a surface through age and exposure. Patinas can provide a protective covering to materials that would otherwise be damaged by corrosion or weathering. They may also be aesthetically appealing.

Or any such acquired change of a surface through age and exposure.

9. Canuck Jul 13, 2015

image.jpg What this dial has to do with guilloche' enamel eludes me, totally. Did you ever hear that diarrhea is hereditary? It runs in your genes!

Edited Jul 13, 2015
    blubarb and Fritz like this.
  10. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 13, 2015

11. lillatroll Jul 13, 2015

i bet it all made sense when he was writing it, but only to him. I hope his hangover is a small one.

12. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jul 13, 2015

Who the hell would buy a watch from that website? Is it honestly a joke? It has to be a joke right?

13. chunkythebulldog Jul 13, 2015

There's no better rant than a drunken rant

14. Buckeyes#1 Things come with instructions? Jul 13, 2015

I learned A.L.O.T from this thread.

15. ulackfocus Jul 13, 2015

I deleted the link. It's an obvious attempt to drive traffic to that site. The only reason this thread is still here is I wanted to preserve the rant that this hobart fool made so we can all admire it. :p

16. Noisy Nova Jul 13, 2015

omugoman doesn't seen to know what he has, so he's made up a funny story to introduce it to the forum.

17. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 13, 2015

Oh no. He used the "P" word ::facepalm2::

18. ulackfocus Jul 13, 2015

At least he didn't say it was his uncle's watch. :p

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 13, 2015

Done - advice taken. I don't believe you.

Cheers, Al

20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 13, 2015

Bit of pent up enthusiasm of the Internet he's been waiting to get all these years and he's blown it in one post. It's alright he won't get reception for another couple of years.

apsm100 likes this.