Forums Latest Members
  1. Marsimaxam Sep 23, 2022

I have never seen this issue, but on one of my vintage Rolex watches when you wind the crown to change the date ( there is no date changing function and must do manually) the minute hand will slip occasionally and if you move the watch side to side to activate the self winding mechanism the minute hand will move. Yet, if you set watch down flat it still keeps perfect time and you can still move the minute hand using the crown. Strange… and obviously will soon be in the hands of a watchmaker.

Anyone else experience this issue and if so is it a serious problem or just a simple matter of tightening minute hand?

Thanks

2. Dan S Sep 23, 2022

If I'm interpreting your post correctly, it seems to be slipping on the pinion. Usually the hole can be closed slightly without causing damage.

3. Marsimaxam Sep 23, 2022

Thank you for your input Dan. I have another watch being serviced, so when I pick it up I’ll drop off the other. Don’t want a big bill after servicing two other watches.

4. WestCoastTime Sep 23, 2022

Maybe too much backlash in the gearing for the motion works? When the hands are moving forward under the regular power from the movement then all the excess play is taken up, but in the presence of these other alternate forces there is enough slop for the minute wheel / cannon pinion move around. (just a theory...)

Marsimaxam likes this.