Forums Latest Members
  1. Candle00 May 21, 2020

When I go to set the time on my Seamaster De Ville (CK 14910, Cal. 562) the minute hand has a tendency to 'jump' forward by a minute when I push the crown back in. Does anyone have any insight into why this happens? It doesn't necessarily bother me as I've learnt to factor in the 'jump' when setting the time but I'm more interested to hear if it's a common issue and what may be causing it from a mechanical perspective.

Here's the culprit:

IMG-0822.jpg

2. Canuck May 21, 2020

Not a complaint that I have heard before. Next time it goes for service, maybe ask if the cannon pinion should be tightened ever so slightly. Have you had it serviced at all?

3. Candle00 May 21, 2020

I haven't. It's been performing well although I know that isn't the only indicator of a healthy watch.

4. steevvvooo May 21, 2020

I have experienced similar on an AP chrono. I found that setting the time, then backing off the crown ever so slightly before pushing back in stops it happening. I assume it is something to do with the tension on the mechanism as I turn the crown and set the hands?

N.b. I am not a watch technician and might have a broken watch, who knows! :)

5. SkunkPrince May 21, 2020

This is a likely answer. There are some few watches I own that I tend to back off the crown a hair once I have the watch set where I want.

6. Canuck May 21, 2020

Some watches are designed so the centre pinion which carries the minute hand is an “idler”, and not subject to the typical torsion of a mainspring. (As in Rolex calibre 3035, 3135, etc.). The result is there is “lash” between the centre pinion and the gear that drives it. These watches can be a stinker to set to the minute because of the lash. But your Omega shouldn’t have that problem. I suggest the cannon pinion might be a bit loose.

GregH and apsm100 like this.
  7. Candle00 May 21, 2020

Thanks for that. Sounds like now might be a good time to send this in for a check up.

8. Candle00 May 21, 2020

Eureka. I eased off the crown and there was no jump.

SkunkPrince and steevvvooo like this.
  9. steevvvooo May 21, 2020

:
    Great to hear! However, posts above seem to know what they are talking about so while the "fix" that I employ helps you too I can't guarantee that either of us don't have a broken watch :)

SkunkPrince and Candle00 like this.
  10. Evitzee May 21, 2020

This occurs quite often, depending on the movement. Just back off the crown a bit before you push in the crown, this usually cures the issue.

Candle00 likes this.