Forums Latest Members

Mineral Glass: < 50% to 85% in an hour or so.

1. Lukeeesteve Mar 30, 2017

Wet sandpaper 400 / 800 / 2000 / 3000 / 5000 grits.

On to the pics.

Before: quite a few deep scratches.
    IMG_6663.JPG

400 grit... I should put in a bit more time into it.

IMG_6666.JPG

10 mins later

IMG_6667.JPG

Working through the grits.... this was after 2000 iirc

IMG_6669.JPG

90% there....

IMG_6670.JPG

She's not perfect, but I think it matches the case and bezel insert condition.

IMG_6673.JPG

michael22, Mad Dog, JimInOz and 4 others like this.
  2. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Mar 30, 2017

Big improvement! You can finish it off with a glass polishing compound.
    Could a replacement glass been an option?
    Also what does the % in the title refer to?

Edited Mar 30, 2017
  3. adi4 Mar 30, 2017

Nicely done! I don't think I have the patience to sand for that long, but could see myself doing it for the right faceted, hard-to-find crystal.

The watch looks great! :thumbsup:

4. Lukeeesteve Mar 30, 2017

I will look for a glass polishing compound soon.

I've looked for the glass but the only one I've found so far is over $100+ (meh) - it's not the conventional Squale case. It's a thicker version.

The percent is just my subjective rating on the condition of the crystal pre and post. It was pretty scratched up when I got it, and while it not perfect, im sure that doubling down on the elbow grease with the 400 grit will probably get me to 95% of a new crystal.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 31, 2017

Mineral glass - the worst qualities of sapphire and acrylic...relatively easy to scratch, but relatively hard to polish.

You did well, and it will come up nicely if you get some finer materials to finish the job.

6. adi4 Mar 31, 2017

Do you think given the diving application, it makes sense though? Cost savings aside, I know Seiko still insists on using their Hardlex (Seiko proprietary mineral) on most of their "professional" dive watches and I always thought at least the minor amount of shatter resistance over sapphire was one of the reasons. I know this has been discussed to death in other forums and threads, but curious what your take on it is and if you've ever had to service shattered, flooded sapphire crystal watches.

As an aside, personally I've never been able to put a scratch in Hardlex even on my "beater" SNK809.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 31, 2017

Serviced plenty of flooded watches, but none because of shattered sapphire crystals. Although sapphire can break, it usually takes quite a force to do so. It can also scratch, but again it takes a lot to scratch it.

Mineral crystals on the other hand easily scratch and break, sometimes all on one watch - broken and scratched front mineral crystal:

[​IMG]

Scratched display back mineral crystal:

[​IMG]

The only good thing about mineral crystals is that they aren't very expensive to replace. If there is a positive, that's the only one I can think of...

Cheers, Al