Forums Latest Members

Mind Changer (although Preaching To The Choir) On Omega - Check Out This Link

1. Superdoc Jan 28, 2013

I have always said that Omega is woefully under valued...
    still suffering from the quartz crisis?

Anyway - this link shows the 'Differences' in the speedy and a much more expensive movement...
    http://www.mkmotorsport.com/PatekOmega.gif

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 28, 2013

That image has been around a long time but its a great comparison, the Patek movement I believe is the CH27-70, based on the same Lemania base movement co-developed with Omega (Calibre 321).

A local watchmaker once told me if you wanted to explain to someone exactly what a manual wind chronograph is in its purest form, the Calibre 321 is the example you would show.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 28, 2013

Not sure which way you're trying to persuade - the Lemania base for the PP is well known (and to Lemania's credit), and even on that relatively two dimensional view, the difference in finish is striking!

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 28, 2013

There's no doubt the Patek is exceptional in its finishing but the fact that so many Speedmasters go for so many decades of unserviced abuse is a tribute to just how well the base movement was engineered. Mine keeps +2 or so and has no known service history at all

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 28, 2013

No doubt. Lemania is one of the most underappreciated (and undervalued IMO) chronograph houses.

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 28, 2013

Patek has a better finished movement no doubt but my pick is the one that went to the moon.

dsio likes this.
  7. Superdoc Jan 28, 2013

Agree on the finishing...but how many thousands of dollars of difference do you see?...

And as Dsio says - look at the function of the Omega -

Granted we are all crazy for even paying Omega dollars when a $3 battery operated timex nay keep Better time...
    But I challenge Rolex to provide anything that belongs in the same sentence as Patek....and don't get me wrong, I have 10 Rolex, and love them all Dearly, but I am in no way Drinking the Rolex 'kool-aid'...

Not that I think that the Speedy should command patek money -- but My argumant is that Omega should be considered a Prestigious Watch manufacture that has produced, and continues to produce movements that are Comperable to the most elite in the business...

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 28, 2013

Actually... I'd go the Patek....

But, if it were between a 5070 and a mint 2915-1, I'd probably opt for the Speedmaster over its cheaper cousin from Geneva