Forums Latest Members
  1. yande Jul 3, 2019

We were recently in China, Chongqing, Sichuan Provence. I really enjoy visiting watch boutiques in China as compared to say the average Swiss Watch Boutique in Australia, the staff there are so much more accommodating.

Breguet had opened a new boutique in Chongqing since our last visit and seeing as I knew very little about Breguet watches per se, I spent some time there picking my jaw off the ground. Wow, I had never seen anything like it. The watches were absolutely stunning in every detail. I have visited Rolex, Omega, Panerai etc., Boutiques in the past and none had ever affected me in anything like that way.

I really apologise for the terrible photos I took with my phone, and I am kicking myself that I did not go back (we were staying about 5 minutes walk away) to take some better photos.

So, whether a watch is worth a million dollars or not is arbitrary, to me anyway, but if you look closely you can see that the middle watch has a price tag of 5,919,000 RMB. We were getting around 4.8 RMB to the $AUD. That works out at around $1.2 million! These watches were just sitting in the display case, along with many others, the door was open… but that is China. Again, I regret that I didn't ask whether I could try it on.. language difficulties and all ....
    Breguet Chongqing 1.jpg
    The watch, top left, and below, was my favourite. At 2,195,600 RMB. The only skeleton dial I have ever liked. Again I apologise for the lousy photo. Definitely does it no justice.
    Breguet Chongqing.jpg

Father Time, CJpickup57 and marco like this.
  2. Father Time Jul 13, 2019

Now, I just want lots more photos! I'd take the cheap one in the lower right!

My Breguet experience...
    Years ago, I was visiting France and if memory serves me right, there was a Breguet Boutigue practically next to the Louvre. I went in and made an attempt at speaking French (seems the French don't mind too much, if you make an attempt) and the sales gentleman (he really was and in the truest sense of the word) immediately went into English mode. This was the most elegant Boutique I have ever seen (I've been in a few), the chairs, the tables, the displays, etc. Class, all the way! Then, there it was, the most beautiful watch I had ever seen, on display, on a table of it's own, in it's own case - a "vertical trunk" really, that had doors that opened revealing the watch on a winder with a special key and a slot for a matching pocket watch above it. There was a drawer beneath that held all of the exquisite "accoutrements". This was all in the most gorgeous Burled walnut and Bird's Eye Maple case I have ever seen! I was practically drooling! He could tell! I was wearing my jean's and a decent shirt and he gives me this look and says, "Would you like to see it on your wrist"? I was flabbergasted! I don't recall exactly what the price was because of the conversion, etc., but, I believe it was around $500K in 20 year old money! I just looked at him and couldn't even speak! He slips the gloves on and pulls out the padded velvet Breguet display pad. He motions for my hand and gently lays the watch across my wrist! WOW!! He knew I had no intentions of purchasing. Truly one of the greatest watch experiences of my life! I know... weird!

3. oinkitt Sep 7, 2019

That's one very unattractive watch!!!

Fritz likes this.
  4. squarelug Sep 8, 2019

Yeah I can't even.

5. Walrus Jul 29, 2020

I enjoyed the boutiques in China. My first trip, years ago I had this idea in my head that I’d get a great deal with exchange rate with the USD which at that time was around 7rmb for one USD. The first AD I visited I found it was just a pipe dream. They price them so they are pretty much equivalent to US prices.

I agree it was a pleasant experience. All the employees were very nice and said I could try on anything I wanted but I wasn’t going to waste their time knowing I was not going to purchase anything. I was already warned many Chinese figure if an American can get to China they figure you are rich and may try to take advantage of that. Due to family connections I was able to have talks with many Chinese government officials and a few top scientists. I heard a lot of anti US comments but through further conversation we all agreed our problems are not between US individuals vs Chinese individuals but between governments. It was a nice conversation. Don’t mean to derail the thread but if anyone is familiar with Hefei China and knows where legit seagull watches can be purchased in the city I would appreciate the info