Forums Latest Members
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. septentrio Aug 21, 2018

• Replica 377-5 strap arrived, fits my Eterna 'WWW' perfectly! :) I thought it was time to share its story with you.

This Eterna started its life just like the others in 1945 with radium lumedots and hands, hence the slight whitish radium burn on the dial flaring up from the center point to between 1 and 2 - I guess it was stored away for a long time prior to/after initial use with the minutes hand in this position. It is one of the many 1960s Ministery of Defence (MoD) relumes to the known 'green luminous paint' (=tritium), after the ministery had noticed that storing a large amount of these radium pieces was creating an unacceptable radiation hazard. One piece will create reasonable radiation, but guess what happens when you put thousands of these together. At some stage, it was sold to the public by auction. I bought this piece directly from the son of one of those buyers (a British gent). No response from the dial/hands when tested with the geigercounter, and correct (short) tritium flaring under uv light, so the story checks out. Only about 5k of these Eterna DD's were made.

• [​IMG]

This is how the watch was bought by me. I only removed some 'wrist-cheese', removed the steel bracelet, and gave the original crystal a slight polish.

[​IMG]

Edited by a mod Aug 21, 2018
    Waltesefalcon, Dan S, bobbee and 7 others like this.
  2. septentrio Aug 21, 2018

• Some more pictures, the watch has the correct cal. 520H with 1944 serial number, and all factory finishing is still beautifully visible on the unpolished steel case:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited by a mod Aug 21, 2018
    bobbee, Marty McDawg, Delbok and 2 others like this.
  3. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 21, 2018

Very nice indeed. Just the one WWW or going for a few/set?

Marty McDawg and septentrio like this.
  4. septentrio Aug 21, 2018

Had the Timor before. Not aiming for the whole set, but couldn't let this one pass by as I am a big Eterna fan (of their vintage work to be clear).

5. Waltesefalcon Aug 21, 2018

Nice WWW, it looks great on that strap.

cicindela and septentrio like this.
  6. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Aug 21, 2018

Why the delete, always like to see some WWW love on here.

cicindela, Dan S and Marty McDawg like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.