Forums Latest Members
  1. omegaman Jun 24, 2019

As my post at the MWR forum has been deleted by Dave, on of the moderators, I feel myself challenged to spread the info a little wider. I'd like to see the real market value of this one.

As already posted in another thread here there will be a Royal Navy SM300 at auction at Hannams... a very honest, unmolested example, probably the best I've seen for quite a long time. :thumbsup:
    Buried deep under the owners DNA there is hidden a totally legit Mil SM300 in an astonishingly good condition. Those paint? marks at the bezel (20, 36, 40, 50) can be removed from what it looks like. Only minor is that it caught some moisture as the movement shows some rusty spots and the hands lume has faded dark, no wonder with that gasket.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/...0073/lot-0111987e-dff9-4cd7-ba46-aa6d01023d3c

kox and Dash1 like this.
  2. ext1 Jun 24, 2019

That piece really looks great...at least to my untrained SM300 eyes. what do they go for nowadays?

So.. the MWR mod deleted it to curb competition?? :cautious: (wow, that's the first time I use this emoji in this forum)

3. bloomy Jun 24, 2019

This is the one I thought the other thread was talking about. Also a Rolex milsub at same auction.

4. Harryfromhanoi Jun 24, 2019

1.jpg
  5. Dash1 Jun 25, 2019

It does look nice, as does the milsub, wish I could buy both. Can’t see the rust spots on the movement though.
    I hope the new owner doesn’t do a thing to it.

6. EdtheAussie Jun 25, 2019

Both awesome looking watches. Wish it was something I could afford!

7. timoss Jun 25, 2019

The Rolex is quite stunning. The 300SM ain't bad, either....

8. omegaman Jun 25, 2019

When zooming in the movement picture there are some rusty spots visible at the winding wheel (just underneath the rotor between the centre axis and the crown. No big deal from my perspective because the movement looks otherwise very good.

Dash1 likes this.
  9. omegaman Jun 25, 2019

Well... I haven't received any explanation from that MWR moderator... but it's pretty obvious. However I will not post at the MWR anymore due to such a censorship policy.

ext1 likes this.
  10. kox Jun 25, 2019

Don't you think that the dial looks a bit to good? Considering the other traces of water intake, especially the massive effect on the hands lume... but not one trace of darkness on the dial lume? Inconsistentcy on lume is very normal on these, but this is to far off IMO.
    I agree with your assessment and the dial is also original/correct IMO, but I'm not convinced that it belonged to this watch, but swapped out. Nonetheless a very nice example.

micampe, jumpingsecond and omegaman like this.
  11. bloomy Jun 25, 2019

With circle t dial where would the dial come from?

12. kox Jun 25, 2019

MoD. They did have extra spare dials for service ;-)

bloomy and omegaman like this.
  13. omegaman Jun 25, 2019

That's right, the hour and second hand look like they took some moisture, but the minute hand and the dial not. Difficult to say how hat might have happened. I am still convinced the watch is still in the same condition as it left the MoD. The hands or the dial could have been swapped during an MoD service in the past. Comparing it with other inconsistent Mil SM300 floating around at the moment that one here is still the best I have seen for quite a long time.

14. kox Jun 25, 2019

The minute hand still have the same rust traces on the metal as the hour hand...and also on the edges of the lume... anyway, agree. I also think that it was changed at service, because it might simply had been damaged beyond readability.
    So molested at the hands of MoD watchmakers, but properly unmolested after it left the navy ;)

15. JanV Jun 25, 2019

Hmmm... There are some things that sets my alarm bells off, like the color of the lume on the hands compared to the dial. Definitely seen moisture and humidity, whereas the dial is in really nice condition without any traces of moisture. The seconds hand is wrong, and from an earlier candlestick hands setup. Maybe as speculated above, that maybe could have been changed in a MoD service. Would definitely need also to see a better shot of the circle T on this dial. The rotor looks to have been changed during a service?

Edited Jun 25, 2019