Forums Latest Members
  1. Gaz6263 May 29, 2014

2. Gaz6263 May 29, 2014

When I looked at it more closely it has obviously the wrong dial and a naid crown.
    Rob the owner explained he had bought it from a guy who claimed his father had been in the SBS.
    Now Rob, has ties with the SBS through Omega and had on a previous trip to their base taken the watch with him.
    They confirmed the serial number on the back as one of there's and that they did indeed issue the sm300 .
    As far as the dial goes if the original was damaged it would have just been replaced with a service dial.
    when he returned from their
    base he sent it to Omega for a full service!!!!!!!
    What you see is the result (it had to be returned once because they removed the fixed spring bars, which they would only reinstate when they confirmed themselves it's military origin ).
    My problem is what's its worth?
    Wrong dial, all patina removed and the naid crown. Rob says he's open to offers but I don't know where to start.

3. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar May 29, 2014

Tough question, since the watch has been modified extensively. Does the seller have any documentation (i.e. extract of records from Omega)?

4. Gaz6263 May 29, 2014

I did suggest he get one, but that's his call.
    But apart from what I've said above he has none.
    I've known him and traded with him for a long time so I believe the story.
    but how do you prove it if you ever decide to resell.

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 29, 2014

Wouldn't buy it as represented without any extract from omega backing the claimed military provenance.

6. Gaz6263 May 29, 2014

I agree. Trouble is at the moment it could be a bargain, once he has the extract and it confirms (or maybe dosent) the military provenance it won't be. It's a bit of a conundrum .
    What would you pay now? And what's it worth with the extract?

7. marturx May 29, 2014

Sounds fishy. If he believes in his own story, how hard could it be to get an Extract from the Archives from Omega? Not hard at all, and a very cheap way too, to raise the value on the watch considerably. After all, he's a dealer, and well familiar with vintage Omega, we must assume?

8. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar May 29, 2014

Without an extract or other supporting documentation, there is no way to know what you have. You may trust the seller, but you might have a problem when you try to sell. Without documentation I would value it similar to what you would pay for a worn Watchco SM300.
    Hope this helps.

9. michael e Still learning. May 29, 2014

I owned a SM 300 military case number a/14x/67 which was authentic/genuine military.
    This watch is not far apart at all, all font is the same too. You need the serial number of the movement checked with Omega. The serial number should tell you if this was sold to the UK and what reference the case was. I don't think extracts state if it was sent to the British military though.

JohnSteed and watchyouwant like this.
  10. Gaz6263 May 29, 2014

I think as far as the dealer is concerned when he had to return the watch to Omega to have the fixed spring bars put back (which they had mistakenly removed at service). Omega would not have put them in on his say so. They must have checked that they were an original fitting.

11. lenny May 29, 2014

I would suggest you post this on the military watch forum as well (mwrforum.net).

Also, does he actually have the servicing paperwork from Omega? You would think that it would mention something as odd as spring bar re-soldering.

12. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar May 29, 2014

This argument will not convince a serious buyer. And in fact, I find it quite suspicious. Omega is unlikely to perform this sort of third party modification. This claim would make me even more suspicious. I would definitely want an extract of records indicating the serial number on the movement was sold to the UK agent.

13. Gaz6263 May 29, 2014

I was in his shop the week the watch returned from Omega and I saw it with the fixed spring bars removed. So I know it was defiantly returned to them to have them refitted.

14. Gaz6263 Aug 4, 2014

Update. He has the extract of the archives back from Omega. It confirms it was issued on the 29/09/1966 at a navy,army air force institute(NAFFI), with that movement.
    I know he's looking to sell so if anyone's interested PM me and I'll put them in touch.

15. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 4, 2014

Excuse me if I am wrong but would the Naafi not sell a watch? Issue to me is something totally different?

16. Gaz6263 Aug 4, 2014

But would it come with fixed spring bars and if you bought it yourself why all the serial numbers on the back?

17. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 4, 2014

Certainly not saying this is the case with this item but fixed bars and engraving quite easily achievable by anyone with a modicum of skill.
    No "arrow" on the dial?

18. Gaz6263 Aug 4, 2014

I personally have no interest in this watch I only bought it up because it's an interesting watch and the seller is a friend of mine, so please don't get the idea I'm trying to verify it's originality for some personal gain.
    I do stand by all I've said above.
    It has the archive, as far as were concerned it's always had fixed spring bars, the serial numbers are genuine special forces (my friend supplies their Omegas), it has been fully serviced by Omega who raised no issues.
    The couple of minuses are the obvious lack of a T dial and maybe the naid crown, though I believe the early ones may have been like this.
    All in all it's an interesting watch.

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 4, 2014

Many military watches that were issued ended up being dropped from the paperwork of the person who it was issued to, and then the watch essentially becomes their personal property, since there no longer is a record that they have it.

This can happen if there is a paperwork error, or if the watch or other object becomes obsolete. So it doesn't have to be sold off directly by the forces that bought it, but it ends up being sold by the person it was last issued to.

I have bought watches that were issued and have had this situation happen...such as:

[​IMG]

Tudor Sub issued to a ship's diver in the Canadian Navy, and I bought it from him years after he retired and found it in a drawer.

Cheers, Al

CdnWatchDoc and Stewart H like this.
  20. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 4, 2014

Sorry, what I am getting at is Naafi is or was a sales outlet for many goods and if the archives state Naafi that would be a sale to an individual. An issue would come from the MoD?
    Admit it sounds strange for the Naafi to be selling such a piece.

watchyouwant likes this.