Forums Latest Members

SOLD Military Issued Omega Seamaster 300 with archive and history

1. Dash1 Apr 6, 2017

A very rare chance to buy a confirmed military issued 300 with incredible history. Bought by me over 9 years ago direct from the retired Royal Navy clearance diver. I couldn't believe the photos and details of his escapades he kindly provided for me which include ditching in the sea when a helicopter had engine failure, recovering bombs and lost sunken ships as well as more secret missions and all while wearing this watch.
    I have done nothing to this watch since buying it. It remains in 'barn find' condition and it certainly shows the amazing life it has led in the condition. However I feel with a new crystal and general clean up the looks of this watch would be transformed, I preferred to leave it as found and let it wear its history proudly.

Case: Plenty of marks on all surfaces. Back issue number engravings removed after leaving the service. Looking closely at it I am fairly certain it has never been polished (cosmetics were not high on the agenda for the Navy watch repairers I doubt) so there is plenty of meat on the case. Correct C.B. manufactured case back stamped 165.024. Missing crown, stem still in situ. Correct fixed strap bars.

Crystal: Original old logo one with many scratches and scrapes which tend to distort the photographs of the dial. Most could probably be polished out or fitting new crystal would greatly improve overall appearance.

Bezel: Correct straight '1' military bezel with some areas of missing paint.

Dial: Nice big triangle dial. There is some lume missing from the hour markers, the remaining lume is a yellowish/green and quite attractive. There is a small area of rust around the centre hand hole, this could be cleaned off in moments. The military circled 'T' is a bit faint and a bit fluffy/distorted, not the best I've seen, but not the worst. My feeling is that the dial might have been flooded at some point in its career, hence the rust patch, missing lume and slightly odd 'T.'

Hands are nice, I can't discount a relume in the past.

Movement: Correct cal.552 automatic movement in good condition, currently working but in need of service if it is to be used. No sign of water damage. Serial number in known range for military issue, which is of course also confirmed by the extract.

Strap: New 'nato' strap in RN grey.

Paperwork: Recent extract from the Omega Archive which confirms this as a military wristwatch issued to the British Royal Navy.
    Letter signed by the RNCD giving very detailed account of some of his adventures/work, some of which are famous enough to be found on google and all while wearing this watch. Also a list of his drafting's.
    Copies of photographs including one of him wearing this watch and others while on operations. Photos of the CD courses (one is marked '3 people passed the course out of 19' !!); photos of log book and extract; photo of newspaper cutting and more.
    In my experience finding a military issued watch with any documented history at all is very, very rare. This documented history and photographs is exceptional imho.

Price - I don't need to be greedy here as I've been collecting for many years, I also need to factor in the polished case back markings and the less than perfect 'T' on the dial, so I am pricing it as a completely sterile example despite its stellar history and nice barn find feel. I also want to price it at a very tempting number as I unfortunately need to sell, So £17,500 gbp. I will also consider any offer on this so don't be shy, but of course highest offer, or asking price takes precedent.
    I have many selling ref's here and over 10K on ebay.
    UK postage is free, Overseas delivery will need to be discussed but will be charged at cost and will need to be insured by the buyer via ParcelPro or similar.
    Please do ask any questions prior to buying. Thank you.

DSCF0668.JPG DSCF0671.JPG DSCF0681.JPG DSCF0675.JPG DSCF0676.JPG DSCF0678.JPG DSCF0633.JPG
    DSCF0672 (2)_LI.jpg DSCF0670 (2).JPG DSCF0822.JPG DSCF0820.JPG DSCF0833.JPG DSCF0818.JPG DSCF0819.JPG

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 6, 2017

Simply WOW!

CDs were not the shyest or most humble sailors in the RN.

They did some of the most dangerous tasks ever asked of humans and when the job was done, they celebrated like none I've ever seen.

I still remember a 24 hour session with three of them in the Offshore Lands Club in Singapore in the late 1970s.

It took me and my RAAF mates a week to recover, they were probably diving the next day.

Good to see it was "lost" by the owner after he discharged ;). (ex-mil guys will understand).

If only the lottery smiled upon me.

GLWYS

3. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Apr 6, 2017

Haha, I thoroughly enjoyed that

GLWS, Ash! Unbelievable provenance with this one!

George.A, Dash1 and SgWatchBaron like this.
  4. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Apr 6, 2017

If only this watch could talk...
    Whatever happened to the crown, just curious?

SgWatchBaron likes this.
  5. SgWatchBaron Apr 6, 2017

I would definitely purchase it if I had the available funds. GLWS Ash! :thumbsup: Solid piece! Won't be around for long!

OMGRLX and Dash1 like this.
  6. t_swiss_t Apr 6, 2017

Incredible piece @Ash . Between this and the Speedy sale -- did you just look at the Philip's auction catalogue that just came out and decide that you needed one of the many insane pieces in there?

7. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Apr 7, 2017

The Baron is short on scratch? What? :eek:

Kmart, Bumper, SgWatchBaron and 3 others like this.
  8. Dash1 Apr 8, 2017

Great to hear a first hand account!

OMGRLX likes this.
  9. Dash1 Apr 8, 2017

No, I just paid a deposit on a new glider. I have many watches but not nearly enough aeroplanes!

tapaptpat, OMGRLX and SgWatchBaron like this.
  10. brunik Apr 8, 2017

What a piece you have there... wow!!!

Dash1 and OMGRLX like this.
  11. hugo Apr 8, 2017

Great piece and story, GLWS.

12. SgWatchBaron Apr 8, 2017

That's always the case. Too many grails. Too little cash.

13. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Apr 8, 2017

Isn't that the truth, my friend...
    To the OP, GLWS on this amazing timepiece! I cherish my own 'plain'/non-mil vintage sm300 more than words can describe.

Dash1 likes this.
  14. watchlovr Apr 11, 2017

Booohoooo.
    So near but so far.

Dash1 likes this.
  15. Just Livin Apr 11, 2017

Congrats to both the buyer and seller on the sale. A fantastic piece and a fantastic package :thumbsup:

16. kidkimura Apr 11, 2017

A congratulations and a big thanks to the buyer, who prevented me from buying something else I couldnt afford. :thumbsup:

17. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 11, 2017

A+, congrats to both!

18. mr_yossarian Apr 11, 2017

Wings and fuselage payed, cockpit halfway until early may, congrats :)