Forums Latest Members

Milgauss/ Explorer 2 advice

1. Trevshep2 May 30, 2016

Hi Guys

Im a collector of mainly Lemania and Omega but I'm drawn to two Rolex watches. The Milgauss and Explorer 2 . I would greatly appreciate any buying tips and specific things to look out for.

Thank you

2. tyrantlizardrex May 30, 2016

Hey Trev!

Modern or vintage?

I spent some time down the research rabbit hole on the Explorer II, and you have three main variants:

1 - 1970's model - rare/expensive

2 - 16570 - late 80s to mid/late 00s - lots and lots of choices... A couple of dial variants as the go from tritium to non, and then a chance on the lume indecies towards the end of the model to make them clearer to read. Lovely watch, full sets can be had from £3000 if you look long and hard enough.

3 - 216570 - 2008ish onwards. Bigger case. Nicer bracelet with micro adjust on the clasp. Strong resale values - new £5300, 4 years old £4300-£4800.

Best to try both the 16570 and 216570 on your wrist to see what's most suitable for you.

Mechanically, there are 2 main movements from what I can work out... No major issues with either as long as they're serviced.

meganfox17, Foo2rama, OMGRLX and 3 others like this.
  3. Trevshep2 May 30, 2016

Thanks for this!
    Looking at a white face probably 16570 suits my budget and the 40mm sits better on my smaller wrist. I guess year is irrelivent with a service history?

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  4. tyrantlizardrex May 30, 2016

There are some variants on dial and movement.

I'd aim fora complete set, 2006-2008. They just seem to be in better condition, and better value.

5. Trevshep2 May 30, 2016

Thanks for all the help and advice

6. Traveler May 30, 2016

It's funny how tastes change - I had passed by both of these models for years without caring, but recently acquired both, and absolutely love them. The Exp II is a 16570 early tritium, and the markers (having turned custard) really pop against the dial. It's a great daily wearer, with a GMT to boot, and goes with business or casual.

image.jpeg
    The Milgauss I got in a trade, and didn't intend keeping it, but fell into wearing it, and now don't want to give it up! The build quality is superb, and the bracelet feels very luxurious when worn. I also love the lightening bolt second hand, and that most people don't even recognize it as a Rolex, with that bit of whimsy! I almost pulled the trigger on a vintage one a while back, but the lack of lightning bolt dissuaded me (plus the extra 20k I needed to come up with versus this one!) ... Mine is black face and clear crystal, which I prefer over the more recent blue/green variants ...

image.jpeg

Both watches are great 'off the run' Rolexes in my opinion ...

Best of luck with the hunt!

gostang9 likes this.
  7. gostang9 May 30, 2016

I have the Explorer II (bought new in 2015). Love it and it's my daily wearer, I use the GMT function often (left my home in Canada yesterday - arrived in Munich this morning). @tyrantlizardrex and @Traveller nailed the main points so nothing for me to add other than its a great watch. I love the simple look of the Milgauss but would really miss the date and GMT function.

Here's my black dial at 20:47 EST shortly after take-off from Toronto with local time already set to 02:47 CET.
    [​IMG]

tyrantlizardrex and Traveler like this.
  8. Trevshep2 May 30, 2016

Both lovely watches. I need them on my wrist !

9. Trevshep2 May 30, 2016

I've been torn which to go for first but I think it's gonna be the explorer. Both black and white are lovely .

10. T<25 May 30, 2016

2 very different watches. The date function in Exp II is very useful for daily use. Milgauss on the other hand is less complicated but will be a nice additional to multiple watches collections, because no extra time needed to correct the date and the 24 hours hands. I personally really like the green milgauss.

11. Trevshep2 May 31, 2016

I agree. Im looking at the explorer 2 as a day to day wearer so thats gonna be my first choice but the green Milgauss is on my radar now and will be mine!

12. chriselkjar May 31, 2016

Green Milgauss is also on my list. Might be a trend with these Omega folks liking the "non-standard" Rolexes.

13. kurtj29 May 31, 2016

I have the white (Polar) Explorer 2 -- ref #216570 (42mm) and love it. The 42 mm case is what sold me. You have to try it on. The white is really nice and was my choice. The Polar design is very straight forward and simple. On the Black Dial 216570 notice that Rolex diverged from the simple design and went with what they call "phantom" hands as a nod to the original Explorer 2. The hands are painted black near the center to give the appearance that they are "floating". Great idea, the execution in my mind, my opinion did not work. Again this is a design choice - so some will love it, some not so much. But you should be aware of it when making the choice between Polar and Black dials. Here is mine on a flat strap I sourced for it - I have found the E2 seems to work best on its bracelet which is very comfortable and much better than my Speedmaster bracelet. FlatstrapIMG_0730.JPG

meganfox17 likes this.
  14. Trevshep2 May 31, 2016

Indeed. I've been collecting for a couple of years now and Rolex has never appealed but the more I've studied watches the more I've been drawn to them. Ive now secured an explorer 2 in white so it'll be interesting to see how I get on against my other watches.

15. Trevshep2 May 31, 2016

Very nice. I love the orange pop against the white. I don't have large wrists and found the 42mm just a little too large so Ive opted for a 2008 model which should arrive tomorrow.

16. Traveler May 31, 2016

Nice - looking forward to the pics!

Trevshep2 likes this.
  17. speedy57 May 31, 2016

I really like my Milgauss. I prefer straps so I took of the exceptionally nice bracelet and bought a black w orange accent strap. After living with that a few weeks, It just felt too bright so I picked up a black carbon fiber with green stitching. Love this look and will probably keep it this way, more subtle on a cool watch! The stitch is a little greener in person, looks great!

image.jpeg image.jpeg

kurtj29 likes this.
  18. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 31, 2016

Dress or no dress? Or more or less sporty?

If you want the polar look for a later year so you can get the parachrom movement with its anti shock and anti magnetic improvements.

The choice between these two to me depends on what else you have

19. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 31, 2016

The 1655 is my Grail. That orange hand...

20. Trevshep2 Jun 1, 2016

Yep the green works for me. looks great.