Forums Latest Members
  1. Dash1 Nov 14, 2013

There has been a previous discussion about the un-availablity of some cal.321 movement parts, in particular the balance is no longer available from Omega (although they and STS hold an unknown quantity for their own use).
    As a result it might be that we are, quite literally, wearing a time bomb on our wrists. I'm sure many parts can be remanufactured by a skilled watchmaker, but I doubt a balance would be one of them.
    So, when I saw this ebay listing I decided to invest. My offer of $350 was accepted, I have no idea if I have overpaid or not, but I have not seen any others for sale so...
    The part has arrived, sealed in the original packet and I know he has several more left at the moment.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OMEGA-320...472?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45ff532120Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. ulackfocus Nov 14, 2013

Ooooo, he has Longines parts too! Added to my very short list (only 5) of favorite sellers.

3. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Nov 14, 2013

The typical problem with balances is a worn/broken pivot. Repairing this is a slightly advanced skill, but one that any well-trained watchmaker should be able to do. FWIW - I believe that correct balance staffs for this movement are still available. Whether you overpaid - I don't know. I guess it depends on what a watchmaker would charge for the job?

4. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Nov 14, 2013

I acquired a Rolex with a 1030 movement from the bay and I can tell you: if you need parts they are not to be found. And if found: be prepared to pay. So: smart? Why not. Storage costs nothing and you'll always be able to sell it.

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Nov 14, 2013

I would say $350 was a good price. If you take the commonly used cal 550 balance that is still available new, the price is £294.70 + VAT, so £354 or $590 (ish)

6. JM251 Nov 14, 2013

How about Cal 320 chronograph parts...

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 14, 2013

320 is the same movement just without an hour register. Thing with this is for the balance at least, the replacement parts are still in production, its just a matter of figuring out how to get them. The Breguet, Vacheron Constantin, Audemars Piguet, Patek Philippe, and many other variants of the Lemania 2310 are still around and Breguet at least, possibly VC as well are still churning them out. I can't imagine the part being any different with the exception of Patek's gyromax version.

8. Dash1 Nov 15, 2013

Okay, so the balance is interchangeable with these other Lemania 2310 variants and is still in production? I did not know that. Hopefully that makes the future of our beloved 321's a little more safe.
    On the same subject, are there any other parts for the 321 that it might be worth hoarding in order to 'future proof' them?

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 16, 2013

I'm not 100% certain on that by any means, but the balance cock looks identical, the vph is the same and they're both on a 2310 base, so it would have to be extremely close (Patek's Gyromax balance excluded of course)

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 16, 2013

I think you will always have the option of factory service, which is expensive and not completely under your control regarding what gets done. However with Omega not selling many Cal. 321 parts, getting them outside of the Omega supply chain is becoming difficult. The parts that are out there are parts that have been out there for decades, when companies used to distribute parts to parts suppliers, and not directly to watchmakers.

Once the stock at those parts suppliers dries up, then you are relying on people finding stashes of parts at watchmaker estate sales, etc. In fact many of these parts supply houses seek out and buy estates for their spare parts supplies....and they buy out other suppliers when they go out of business.

As time goes on, finding parts on the open market will get tougher and tougher....

Cheers, Al

11. Dash1 Nov 18, 2013

Many thanks for your valued opinion Al, this is what I suspected might be the way of things to come. I can see myself starting to hoard movement parts as well as bracelets and watches now! Cheers.

12. g-boac Nov 19, 2013

Greetings all - as a multiple-Ω321 Speedy owner, I wanted to respectfully offer a thought to all, and that's to consider resisting the inclination to hoard parts. As we've established, some calibre 321 parts are quite plentiful - such as mainsprings, dials, hands, crystals, even cases. Along with movement parts remain common to the c861 and 1861 movements. Others may be harder to come by such as the balance discussed above. The parts aren't impossible to get although they may take more effort than a quick visit to ofrei.com, and experienced independent watchmakers we trust, such as Al - and others - know who to check with within the industry, to buy, trade, and barter parts. If conserved intelligently and only utilized when required, I can imagine that the parts line would remain relatively accessible to all of us when required. Additionally, parts are relatively consolidated at a handful of well-established warehouses, parts houses, and other industry sources.

If however, an artificially-induced demand is placed on the remaining parts lines by each of us as we "hoard" spare parts, three problems happen quickly: [1] parts become unavailable to everybody, especially when needed. [2] calibre 321 movements begin dying off as people can't service or take care of them (which also would ultimately reduce value of the watches, as they become unserviceable due to obsolescence). [3] all this happens while multiple quantities of a needed part (e.g., balance wheel. . .hour recorder runner. . .etc) are sitting in someone's drawer, who doesn't need them. . .and who may even be willing to share, yet doesn't know that somebody does need them, because nobody knows he has them.

In short - I'd encourage everyone to consider the implications of hoarding too many parts before making a run on parts houses. You'll be ok, and by standing pat here, you will keep the 321 calibre serviceable, desirable, and available to us and those who come after us, for years to come. And hopefully, to the time (hopefully soon) where the 321 calibre reenters production.

So in a way, we're each taking care of ourselves, and each other here.

best,
    Mark

13. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 20, 2013

Well thought out post. However, I will still hoard parts - can't take that chance as some of these parts are already difficult to source and I have more than a few of these chronographs. Disagree on valuation - many vintage watches continue to appreciate regardless of the parts situation - I think what is likely to happen is that running examples of 321 chronographs will simply command a higher premium in the future - especially the speedmasters - it's too historically significant a watch.

14. trim Nov 20, 2013

It is a pretty natural instinct to horde, especially when resources are limited. Its not the nicest aspect of being human, but well there it is.

I doubt the general population will change, and if they do, a few will just buy and horde everything, and we will be in a worse situation.

15. g-boac Nov 20, 2013

I'm looking forward to Omega putting the calibre 321 back into production. Buying one if not more would be a no-brainer - and the spare parts problem solved for all as well.

16. trim Nov 20, 2013

Is this definite? Because I would too.

17. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Nov 21, 2013

Agreed that it would be great if omega reissues the 321 but would it be identical to the original 321 or would it be a modernized version where the parts are similar but not identical?

And again, I don't agree that hording in this regard is "not the nicest aspect of being human." Speaking for myself, I simply look at it at protecting my investment in 321 chronographs which is considerable.

18. trim Nov 21, 2013

It is mathematically provable that it is detrimental to society as a whole - as it results in a lower pareto optimality. From an individuals point, if you are the horder, its golden.

19. ulackfocus Nov 21, 2013

::psy::

20. Dash1 Nov 21, 2013

Good points raised by all, but I think that to suggest that we Omega collectors don't purchase rare parts when they become available is missing the point. For example, I don't think the guy selling these 321 balances is keen on keeping them until they such time as they are needed. He has them for sale and maybe cares little for vintage Omega, if no one buys them they would probably end up in the bin. Far better that a member of the collector community 'hoards' them than someone who knows little of their intrinsic value, that way they will be available to the collector community in the future, not the other way around.