Forums Latest Members
  1. Professor Aug 9, 2018

Any information available on Midland wrist watches?
    I have a rather nice Midland self winder with 25 jewel movement. Can't find out a thing about these online. A few people have watches of this brand but they can't find anything either.
    I found references to a British company that sold pocket watches but that's it, nothing on wrist watches.
    s-l1600 (29).jpg

2. Dan S Aug 9, 2018

Maybe one of these? I don't know how to incorporate the GFL or GLF.

Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 3.58.26 PM.png

Professor likes this.
  3. Vitezi Aug 9, 2018

Perhaps it is "LCF" for "La Chaux-de-Fonds"

Dan S, Professor and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  4. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 9, 2018

Would agree there, lots of small brands had these words hidden somewhere...

25 Jewel manual wind? Toss up between an ETA1080, A/S or FHF movement...

Professor likes this.
  5. Professor Aug 9, 2018

Not a manual wind though the dial doesn't indicate that its a automatic/self winding watch. This movement has a hand winding option as well as self winding.

I foget the movement number, It was ETA (24?)53. near as I can remember off hand. I think I posted the number in this board somewhere.
    I think this is the sellers pick of this movement.
    I can't get the back off till I modify a case back wrench to fit.
    s-l1600 (37).jpg
    Second view
    s-l1600 (36).jpg

The back is locked down by a separate ring with four tiny notches too small for the nibs of my wrenches.

Works like new other than running about two minutes fast in 24 hours. Not uncommon for a watch left idle for years or possibly decades. When I finally open it I'll try to regulate it.
    Sometimes just keeping one running for a month or so will result in a too fast movement setting down to be right on the money.
    That's why I never adjust the regulator till I'm certain it will be necessary.

PS
    I paid less than $20 for this watch, a hair over $20 counting shipping. Only watch I've found with similar dial markings is a late 40's military dialed hand winder priced at $249 . So I figure whatever else I find out I'm way ahead of the game.

This watch is smaller than it looks in photos, big enough to be classed as a men's watch its light and thin enough for a boy or active lady. Been considering giving it to an old girl friend who likes to explore caves. I think it would be best suited to a past middle age lady for working in her garden or other outdoor activities.
    I'll get it in tune before I decide.

Edited Aug 9, 2018
  6. Dan S Aug 9, 2018

Bingo! Just like the last listing on the mikrolisk page.

Professor likes this.
  7. Professor Aug 9, 2018

Looks like the same basic movement a ETA 2452 with calendar was used by Hamilton. The 2453 is that movement with calendar mechanism deleted. I like it better without a calendar.
    These movements have a very good reputation.

The dial and markers resemble those of the Timex Marlin, a very nice combination.

I've found that around that time frame Midland made some very elegant high end electric powered watches with very stylistic assymetric cases.
    These require a battery adapter insert to work with modern watch batteries.
    Well worth looking into.

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. queriver Aug 10, 2018

Professor likes this.
  9. Professor Aug 10, 2018

Yes found that one early on. Beauty of a watch.
    The less I can find out the more interested I get in finding out more about this brand.

queriver likes this.
  10. bobbee Aug 11, 2018

Possibly 'G.F.L.' , as in Gilomen Freres, Langnau after the first mikrolisk reference of A & A Gilomen?

Professor likes this.