Forums Latest Members

Microtor Service in the Tri-State area

1. timeismoney May 17, 2014

Hello All, I would like to get this one for a possible light polish and a service. I am located in NY and would like to know if anyone has any recommendation. Thanks!

image.jpg

2. Waynepjr May 19, 2014

Sad to say that either there is either no one in the area or no one is willing to give any help. I REALLY hope it is not the latter. Nobody in NYC can work on a Universal????? Wow!!!!!!
    If you are willing to mail away for work, Orlando Watch Company can provide the service you require. Just Google them and give them a call. Owner is Scott and is a 2nd generation watchmaker and restoration expert of all brands. He has done work for me in the past and I can recommend him highly.

Wayne

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 19, 2014

I don't think the issue is that no one in the Tri-State area can work on the watch. The major issue with older Universals are parts. Most are made of "unobtainium", even for qualified watchmakers. In NYC proper, I've heard good things about Central Watch Repair in Grand Central Station, but I've never used them. They certainly have a good location.

I know there's Steve in NJ, you'll need to search him out on the forum, to get his member name. Several members here swear by him, but I think he in more in Southern NJ, which might be too far for you.

My feeling is that watchmakers are a lot like doctors. When you find a good one you want him to be busy, but not too busy to see you.
    gatorcpa

Waynepjr likes this.
  4. Waynepjr May 19, 2014

Very good points. I think that it might be more of a point also that most don't want to give up the name of their guy as when they need work done the wait will be longer and THAT is a major problem for many guys.

5. woodwkr2 May 19, 2014

Parts availability and finding a competent watchmaker who will work on vintage pieces (here, with a very particular movement) is the issue.

There have already been some good recs for 'local' places. Feel free to PM if you need mail-in recs.

6. eustace May 19, 2014

There shouldn't be much problem finding parts for that Polerouter. I see ebay flooded with Polerouters, or unnamed versions with the same/similar movement. Good luck with your search.

7. timeismoney May 20, 2014

Thank you all for your response. I was thinking of Steve as well. I will let you all know how it goes. Stay tuned!

8. citizenrich Metal Mixer! May 20, 2014

somebody on this forum was recently selling a cal 281 something or another and he claimed that the person who serviced the watch is the most famous and well regarded watchmaker for UG's (like in the entire world). I'm too lazy to look it up myself but you'll have zero trouble finding the FOR SALE thread as it was posted only within the last 2 weeks...

ok, I'm not that lazy. http://omegaforums.net/threads/1961...-case-rolled-lugs-serviced.12830/#post-148269

Waynepjr likes this.
  9. Waynepjr May 20, 2014

"Blake Scott of Scotch Watch who is the true authority of vintage UG" I think these are the words.....

Wayne

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 21, 2014

Steve is N2FHL if you want to hit him up