Forums Latest Members

Mickey Mouse watch purchased between 1948-1950

1. Keef Richards Jun 16, 2019

Anyone know how I can get some information on this watch. My grandmother who passed away 20 years ago purchased this watch for my mom

20190616_170048~2.jpg 20190616_170053.jpg 20190616_170550.jpg
    Jerseyhammer and Professor like this.
  2. jimmyd13 Jun 16, 2019

Made by US Time Corp, which bought the defunct Ingersoll (US, the UK Ingersoll was by then a different company and still trading). Your version is post 1948.

They were made in large numbers, so they're not that uncommon. The movements are very low grade and difficult (some say impossible) to service/repair. If you can find someone willing to work on them, service costs are usually more than the value of the watch.

Details can be found here: http://www.mickeymousewatches.co.uk/USTime_List.html

Professor and Nobel Prize like this.
  3. Canuck Jun 16, 2019

U S TIME became Timex circa 1946. Disney has sold franchises to manufacturers of many types of merchandise which allowed manufacturers to use images of Disney cartoon characters. Mickey Mouse watches existed long before yours was made. The Waterbury Clock Co., (which was absorbed by U S Time, or Timex), and Ingersoll (Ingersoll Brothers five and dime, New York City, also now part of Timex, used Waterbury movements as well) were producing these in the 1930s. Mickey Mouse was created in 1928. These watches have been mostly pin lever, rocker bar winding, no jewel watches in (ahem) “popular” price ranges (reads as cheap).

The dial on yours shows the WDP and the copyright sign of Walt Disney. This indicates they were using the Mickey image legally.

In good shape, in its POS (that means point of sale, not piece of you know what) container, and with original strap, these very early ones sell for a lot of money. Disney has never produced a watch. They are all franchised stuff. Rare? Over time, 99.9 percent of these cheap watches have been turfed when they quit. There may not be many around any more. But rare? No. What more would you like to know.

There’s lots of information available. Just Google Waterbury Mickey Mouse watches. You may also find out about Minnie Mouse watches, Bugs Bunny watches, Elmer Fudd watches, Goofy watches, Porky Pig watches, Spiro Agnew watches, Daffy Duck watches, Roadrunner watches, and on and on it goes.

Professor, bobbee, Passover and 9 others like this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 16, 2019

Imagine a world where @Keef Richards did not have google blocked on his computer.

NickC, efauser, BatDad and 1 other person like this.
  5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 16, 2019

Google can't get access to all the knowledge in Doug's head though :D.

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. Keef Richards Jun 16, 2019

Your saucassim is not appreciated nor helpful. If you can't be polite on the forums, please don't say anything

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 16, 2019

dabbispade, CJpickup57 and Foo2rama like this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 16, 2019

I’m actually one of the more helpful people.

But when you ask if the Speedmaster has an alarm, or when you asked if the black dial Speedy Pro was popular you kinda ask for it.

dabbispade, efauser and ext1 like this.
  9. BatDad Jun 16, 2019

Cmon chaps.. it’s his moms watch.... I’ve not seen other threads from the OP. But going from this one, can’t we just give him something to go on - even if it’s ‘keep it as a family heirloom’
    Per - @Canuck s reply?

Professor likes this.
  10. Canuck Jun 16, 2019

Looks like keefrichards and yours truly have become the brunt of undue humiliation. I’ll be less enthusiastic in trying to be helpful in future.

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 16, 2019

I don't think for a moment that your response was not appreciated, it was informative and the knowledge provided would have taken even the experienced watch researcher some time to follow the trails of the web.

As for @Foo2rama, he may have made a tongue in cheek reply, not all of us have his "Google foo", so for him...........:whipped:.

As for the thread drift by @STANDY, I can only say that it's pretty normal for him :D.

Keef Richards and Foo2rama like this.
  12. Canuck Jun 16, 2019

Among the “stuff” I have collected over 45 years of actively collecting horological items, I have amassed a sizeable collection of books. And after 60 + years of having been involved in repairs, 33 years as a member of the NAWCC, one can’t help but gather a lot of trivia. My dissertation on the US watch company (Timex), didn’t come from “Google”. It came from between my ears.

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 17, 2019

That's what I was trying to convey in my post, apologies if it was misinterpreted.

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 17, 2019

And
    Inside Doug’s head
    Is a podcast about what’s inside Doug’s head

Monkeys and Dinosaurs
    Some might call it yin and yang, but I think a dinosaur trying to eat a monkey who is holding a gun is much more apt. At least the mental image that the notion conjures is jocular, and jocular is often droll.

Together, the monkey and the dinosaur symbolize the ever present mental struggle that goes on inside Doug’s head. The dinosaur wants to roar and growl at everything, either out of hunger or primal rage over broad social trends, and the monkey thinks flinging poop everywhere is the most highly developed form of sophisticated humor.

Believe me, there are times when the dinosaur comes very, very close to successfully devouring the monkey, usually on those days when the dinosaur realizes that his species is nearing extinction. Fortunately, the monkey has a gun, and a monkey with a gun is fairly evenly matched to a terrible lizard with big teeth and stubby arms. The monkey is never the aggressor; he serves only to balance out the despair and nihilism of the dinosaur.

And so goes the ceaseless effort to maintain a fragile balance of power. The monkey and the dinosaur. These are their stories, so don’t expect much in the way of literature.

Worth a read in the above link

Professor likes this.
  15. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 17, 2019

The only thing I can say about this thread is
    [​IMG]

16. Canuck Jun 17, 2019

Do they give you access to the internet in the institution?

17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 17, 2019

Funny as he is one of yours, he’s a Canadian ::bleh:: :D:D

engineer PhD teaching in the US.

18. Canuck Jun 17, 2019

Seeing as you are beside yourself, if I were ever to see you in person, how would I know which of you is the real you?

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 17, 2019

It was never a shot at you. @Canuck

It was a crack at Jim,s comment when he mention what's inside doug,s head. Which made me think of the Blog.
    As you probably noticed it's a blog you wouldn't forget.

Think you missed the link

I did appreciate your knowledgeable reply above and I think most would have.

Thread drift is common around these neck of the woods

JimInOz likes this.
  20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 17, 2019