Forums Latest Members
  1. 4236 Jul 23, 2018

I measured the accuracy of my newish Railmaster, and here are the results. Dial up +-0s, 12 down -2s and crown down -4 s. When i use it 24/7, it loses 2 s/24h. Was the Metas specs 0-+5s/24h? Anyway, I am very happy with that, and do not even think about any regulation.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 23, 2018

Measuring the remaining 3 positions will give you all 6, then we can calculate the Delta, which can be as much as 12 seconds over 6 positions at full wind and still be in spec.

Yes the spec is 0 to +5, but keep in mind that is the average of all 6 positions as measured on the timing machine, with each position being weighted equally in that average. Most people do not wear their watches equally in all 6 positions over the course of the day, so in reality this average becomes a weighted average, so the position you have the watch in most will skew the average rate on your wrist.

For example, crown down is clearly running slow, so if you wear the watch on your left wrist, and spend a good part of the day standing with your arm at your side, that position will skew the average rate to the slow side.

Cheers, Al

3. 4236 Jul 23, 2018

Thanks Al :)
    [​IMG]

EricCsN, Stgo2019 and sevenhelmet like this.
  4. omegman2000 Aug 25, 2019

I got similar results. Just got my railmaster a few weeks ago. The watch runs slow. About 1 second every day. No matter the position. Did you have to regulate yours?

5. gbesq Aug 26, 2019

My Globemaster caliber 8900 is about +.5 spd. Frankly, my non-METAS SMPc caliber 2500D is almost as good at -1 spd. 88C491C4-E547-4C07-A3DF-5DACB38B9907.jpeg

bernhard likes this.
  6. bernhard Dec 21, 2020

My globemaster is also within 1 second a day. Honestly I expected considerably worse, ie I am very much positively surprised. What a marvelous and accurate timepiece.

F526C77B-231D-42D0-8207-6F5CEF13B993.png

watcholone likes this.
  7. Crunchie Dec 21, 2020

Isn’t this as much a test of your judgement and reaction times as a test of watch accuracy?
    If you’re using an app that relies on you tapping a button on screen when your watch’s second hand hits the hour marker, can you really say that 0.1 second is the watch, not you?

8. bernhard Dec 21, 2020

If my understanding of the app is correct, the timings are very much meaningful. Now whether my understanding of the app is correct or not, U cannot judge. The app is called twixit (on iOS, I have not found it for android).
    I understand that the app is aware of the „true“ time (using some online source). I know that each photo that is taken will be enriched with the exact time. Thus what remains is to „read“ the time that the watch is displaying, this is done by the user (although much is automated). This is done by: determining the center of the second hand, determining 12 o clock, determining the position of the second hand (really the angle is what is needed). Thus the largest inaccuracy is likely if I do not select any of the aforementioned. Sure, there might be inaccuracies in this process, but I think these are very small (maybe those are of order magnitude of 0.1 or 0.2, but that seems negligible to me). Honestly I do not even know how people measure the spd of their watch with other means (besides using a timeographer which I do not own), but I guess google can tell me that.

edit: every time I compare my watch to a reputable source (the train station clock) „simply by visual comparison“, it does not seem off by more than 2 seconds. Likely less, but it is hard to tell. That is actually enough accuracy for me. The app is rather for fun :)

9. Crunchie Dec 22, 2020

The app uses the camera to tell the time on the watch for itself for each reading?
    That would certainly eliminate the kind of human error or variation I was thinking of.
    I suppose if it uses video rather than a still it can measure with the sort of split second precision it’s claiming, then.
    The only similar app I’ve used relied on tapping the screen exactly when the second hand hit the minute, and I always felt like I was probably the weakest link, not the watch.

Editted to add I can’t find Twixit on the App Store - maybe not available in my area or for iOS 14?

10. scapa Dec 22, 2020

The app is called TWIXT TIME ACCURACY TRACKER FOR WATCHES, no second "i.' It's showing up for me, 13.99.

11. IanF Dec 22, 2020

Interesting. I might try that app. I’ve been keeping half an eye on the accuracy of my new PO, noting that I’ve been stuck inside most days since buying it so spending most of the sat at a desk using a laptop, or on the sofa watching Netflix .

So far, I think it’s about +1 to +2 spd, which I’m very happy with and is certainly more accurate than my Speedy Reduced, which runs faster than that.

12. bernhard Dec 23, 2020

Apologies, I mistyped the name if the app

here is a link
    https://apps.apple.com/ch/app/twixt-time/id541686012?l=en

13. bernhard Dec 23, 2020

14. Crunchie Dec 23, 2020

The idea looks good, but it has a one-star review in the UK App Store.

I’ve not actually tested my Speedmaster since it was serviced, but I know it was about + 6 or + 8 a day before the service (I know, not Metas or COSC certified).