Forums Latest Members
  1. panerai_fc Aug 9, 2016

I'm considering putting my Planet Ocean chrono on a mesh, but I don't know the difference between the bracelet end links. It looks like there are two options. One has a tube at the end and the other just has the mesh links. Does anyone have any experience with both? Is one better than the other? I have posted two pics I got from the Internet two illustrate the bracelet choices.

Thanks.
    IMG_0589.JPG IMG_0516.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watchfreek likes this.
  2. yinzerniner Aug 9, 2016

The two Omega meshes are quite different at both ends.
    The older version comes with open end links which can fit in either 19-20 or 21-22 wide lug widths, and the clasp is the simple "seatbelt style" that requires extension links in case your wrist is larger than 7.25-7.4" and no smaller than about 6.5"
    The newer version comes with tubes at the ends, which requires exact sizing depending on the lug width. Also, the clasp is an oversized folding deploy with ratchet adjustment, so it can fit a much larger range of wrist sizes but is quite bulky. The removable extension links are the integrated style, which are very nice but much harder to remove/replace.
    "Better" is a subjective term which depends on your needs.

JimInOz likes this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 9, 2016

Personally I like the mesh ends. I have Omega mesh ends on a Planet Ocean and two Seamsters. They also flex very smoothly. I have felt the tube ends look tinny or cheap. Reminds me of a Twist-o-flex bracelet.
    Comes down to personal preference though.

4. Nactex Aug 9, 2016

The open ends are easier to use for bracelet changes. Here is the new Omega mesh with closed ends and new clasp.

[​IMG]

5. Perseus Aug 10, 2016

I like the look of the mesh ends more than the tube, but I imagine the clasp is nicer on the new mesh than the seat belt buckle on the old style. What's the price on the new mesh?

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 10, 2016

You can add the new clasp to the old mesh.

7. yinzerniner Aug 10, 2016

Would advise against it unless you have Andre the Giant wrists. That, or be ready to cut more than a few rows of links.
    The new ratcheting clasp is roughly 1.5-1.75" longer than the old seatbelt clasp. Therefore, the smallest wrist size you can have without cutting off rows of links using the old open-ended mesh pieces is about 8-8.25"

8. Nactex Aug 10, 2016

You can buy aftermarket mesh in different lengths. I have also used flat rubber straps with the new clasp.

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 10, 2016

Many have done it with no problem. The mesh is easily trimmed. The Planet Ocean model is the same as the Ploprof, with different markings.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/42-mm-8500-po-mesh-ploprof-clasp-hell-yeah-1029294.html

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=302506

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]