Forums Latest Members

Mens Longines With Small Womens Movements? (added photos)

1. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 23, 2015

What about these men's models that feature the small ladies movements such as seen in this Ebay auction?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Excellent-V...815?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item234f8be607Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I used to have an Omega mens watch in a stainless steel case that dated to World War II before I gave it to a friend of mine who collects watches. It had a 31mm diameter case and featured a small rectangular 15-jewel movement as well. He took it to a watchmaker in Yorkshire where he lives who said the movement was fairly uncommon.

I picked up a smart looking Longines 14kt yellow gold mens watch some time ago, very understated with the Breguet numerals that I love on a silver (butler?) dial. It's an elegant looking 33 mm dress watch, but features a small rectangular movement similar to the above auction watch.

I had it serviced and was told it dated to 1962 and was original. Don't have time to photograph this Longines watch for a few days but perhaps I can remember to resurrect this thread at stick up a photo or two.

It sorta reminds me of a 60s American muscle car that is equipped with the entry level inline 6-cylinder engine.

Were these Longines with small rectangular movements some lower-priced model within the line?

2. ulackfocus Apr 23, 2015

It's a caliber 370, which was made to fit in dress watches of the period. Notice that the jewels are mounted in gold chatons - usually a sign of a better grade of caliber than average. Got one in my Diamond Dynasty from 1966. Damn fine movement..... not a 30L, but no slouch.

noelekal likes this.
  3. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 23, 2015

http://s305.photobucket.com/user/ulackfocus/media/IMG_4207-1.jpg.html

Found in an image search, inputing Longines Diamond Dynasty.

Thanks for the reply! If I had decent lighting around here this evening I'd shoot a few photos of this Longines. I'll have to wait until first of the week so as to photograph the watch outside.

Wish I was more adept at case back removal. I'm reluctant to remove even the simplest snap backs for photographic efforts.

That's a whole different question for the Forum later. How to properly remove most case backs. Don't have proper wrenches for those requiring a fitted wrench and only a pocketknife blade for removal of snap backs. I've learned that is sometimes an iffy proposition and I'm concerned with messing up a case. A old dial caliper set and locked to fit the slots in a case back can unscrew backs with care but I am reluctant to make a habit of that method for case back removal.

4. ulackfocus Apr 23, 2015

It might be a front loading watch so be sure of what you're attempting!

noelekal likes this.
  5. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 23, 2015

Thanks for the advice. I don't stray as far into watch disassembly as I've always been wont to do with firearms in the collection.

6. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 7, 2015

I finally remembered to snap a few photos of the Longines watch mentioned in this thread's original post. It's a caliber 370 just as ulackfocus mentions earlier and its serial number is 12017014 which indicates an approximate year of manufacture of 1962.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back when it was acquired I had thought to perhaps have the dial redone in order to lose the scratches and pecks in the sub-second hand area however these appear much more noticeable in photographs than they do when actually seeing the watch. Besides, once one joins the Forum he learns that he refinishes dials at his peril. Had it serviced back in February and haven't really worn it much until last few days.

Edited May 7, 2015