Forums Latest Members
  1. igatomic Feb 18, 2016

My memomatic alarm function doesn't work. Is this likely to be expensive to fix? Anyone have this problem resolved in the past? I don't mind wearing it just as a watch, but it would be nice if it would work properly...

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 18, 2016

The cost to fix "doesn't work" is highly variable.

Depends on the answer to "what's causing the problem?"

::popcorn::

Archer and cristos71 like this.
  3. Ken G Feb 18, 2016

Did you just get the watch and try it for the first time? It might just need time to wind itself...

When I got mine, the alarm was very faint initially (i.e. in the shop). But after fully winding it was loud and clear...

If this isn't the case, then I have no idea about repairs other than through Omega. The cal. 980 is category 4A = "Complicated and Special Caliber", so one of the more expensive ones. That said, you would get the full overhaul, including refinishing etc

By the way, show us some pics! :)

4. igatomic Feb 18, 2016

It is currently in pieces...my watchmaker had taken it apart, and had told me that he didn't have the parts to fix it. And with swatch shutting things down for horologists...

It has been in storage for a couple of years. I found it cleaning up the basement. Dial is silver. Caseback is 166.071.

IMG_0940.JPG
  5. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 18, 2016

I see the problem.

No movement.

Surprised it keeps time at all.

Seriously, do you expect a diagnosis with no information and a photo of a watch case in a baggie?::confused2::

Edited Feb 18, 2016
  6. Ken G Feb 18, 2016

I also have the pilot case (blue/silver dial). I think these are terrific-looking watches and well worth bringing back to life.
    If I were you, I'd pay for Omega to do just that...
    (it won't be cheap though!)

7. igatomic Feb 18, 2016

Well, it does make sense to see the movement...stem and pushers are inside the case and not attached. Twirling the rotor starts the movement ticking. As previously memtioned, it did keep perfect time, just couldn't set the alarm via the stem.

IMG_0941.JPG IMG_0942.JPG IMG_0943.JPG
  8. Ken G Feb 18, 2016

9. igatomic Feb 18, 2016

The service scan is way above my pay grade. :)

I used to have 2. The orange hand, bluish dial worked perfectly, alarm and all...but somebody I work with, and owe a great deal to needed to fill in a gap for his watch that he sold when he was much younger, and times were tough. He has since added a flightmaster, and is in search of a Mark III blue dial Speedmaster Professional.