Forums Latest Members
  1. dantaspaulo Mar 26, 2014

Gentlemen,

I week ago I received my Connie Megasonic back from a long, long service since it simply stopped running a couple days after it arrived. I wasn't really angry or anything because (a) I know it's a difficult movement; (b) I think the watch had never been serviced. Ever; (c) it was a bargain.

I sent it to a local watchmaker who is a favourite among local vintage collectors and who had successfully serviced some of my watches as well. So the Megasonic was serviced and it's running again BUT I noticed it's a bit fast -- about 2-3 minutes a day. When he returned the watch, he mentioned that servicing it was a pain and that the watch stopped running several times once he'd just finished assembling it again.

My question is: should I just live with the fact that the watch will run 2-3 minutes fast a day or should I take it back to the watchmaker and ask him to re-re-reservice it? I don't know if I'm being paranoid, but I'm just afraid the watch may stop working for good.

Any thoughts?

2. Tom Dick and Harry Mar 26, 2014

It shouldn't be running that fast (a few seconds a day is acceptable) but these movement are an absolute devil to work on, I know when STS still worked on them they simply swapped the entire movement for a NOS one, but not even that always worked as it would run for a week or two then die. The Achilles heel of these is the oil filled micro motor, the oil 'gunks- up' and there is simply no way of telling and as it is a sealed unit no way of repairing

I may be able to source you a NOS unit if needed but I will need to ask

Cheers Tom

dantaspaulo likes this.
  3. dantaspaulo Mar 26, 2014

Thanks, Tom! :thumbsup: