Forums Latest Members

Megan's Show & Tell. A Very Rare 16610

1. meganfox17 Feb 20, 2017

Hi Guys [emoji137]
    How is every0ne in the House ?
    A Big Shout Out & Warmest Regards to @Longbow / Nick @Riviera Paradise / Bruno @Nobel Prize a.k.a Sergio of NYC not Sergei of Chitown @roach7 @Rman @JimlnOz a.k.a Johnny Weismuller @rbob99 @dougiedude @Jonathan @cicindela / Steve @Jwit a.k.a Jake the Snake Roberts @STANDY @kkt a.k.a KitKat @ahartfie @CanberraOmega @Mad Dog and the usual suspects. Very Sorry for not mentioning you but you know who you are.....but the 0ne distinguished gentleman whom I missed so much is Dear Dennis @ulackfocus . I really learnt a lot from the awe inspiring man , 0k ...0k I admit I hated Dennis at first for bullying me but then I grew to love the Man , that sneaky cheeky naughty genius with a brilliant sense of timing , sarcastic sense of humour but a Real Softie at heart ! Dennis taught me so much , I reread many of his old posts over the last few weeks...I guess I could only understand perhaps 70-80 % of what he saying most of the time.. American humour huh ? Jeezzzz... OMG !! Oooppsss ! Sorry Dennis. Why do I sound like I'm giving an Eulogy Speech at your funeral !!? [emoji87] [emoji85] Dennis is alive , happy & healthy with his loving family for God's Sakes [emoji34]

Alright. Let's get down to business. My centrepiece for today's Show & Tell is a very rare Rolex Sub Date Ref 16610. I'm only a rookie female intern here so please feel free to point out my many errors when & where necessary . No problem guys. The more mistakes I make now the more butts I can kick later [emoji16]
    I love listening to stories of rare Rolex watches so please share them with me and the " usual gang members " too.

The rare Ref 16610 gems that I have come across or seen in the flesh are the Sub Comex 16610 U series i think /1996 , The 50th Anniversary Kermit 16610 Lv & one 16610 specimen with a random serial number so what makes this 0ne extra special....?

Briefly, Rolex 16610 Sub Date , a classic model that came into existence in 1988 replacing its predecessor Ref 1680 , was faithfully in production for 22 years before Rolex permanently discontinued the model in 2010 & replacing it with the current 116610 c. Over the years there were lots of variations in the dial printing & some serial numbers seem to be more valuable than others.

In the Chinese Customs & traditions if a watch has a serial number that means double happiness double prosperity & long life....that watch is CONSIDERED SOLD TO A CHINESE ! Period ! I think Rolex is 0ne step ahead of all other major Swiss brands to realize that in the Chinese & Hong Kong markets , serial number of a casing is of great importance.That explains why so many " lucky Rolex random serials " are seen on the Chinese markets.
    Why is the word " PyeOngChaNg " on the Omega AT have different coloured fonts ? That's because the broken syllables each form a Chinese family surname --> Ong , Chang & Ng except Pye which I think is an English surname

Now back to the rare Rolex Ref 16610. The Seller is an established reputable Swiss brand watch dealer based in the heart of Kuala Lumpur , Malaysia. He has an amazing story to tell people wherever he travels these days such was his excitement over a rare discovery. Of course it really does appeal only to the serious watch collector with a perchant for rare limited runs , more the mismatch the better the value. For the rest of us mortals , it's just some stupid overhyped overpriced watch . This Malaysian Seller had stumbled upon an extraordinary incredible find at an authorized Rolex Boutique and realizing its significance , he promptly made the purchase and couldnt suppress a triumphant smile....

The Watch Description & only the oddities would be explained here.
    ● The watch under scrutiny is a Rolex Submariner Date Ref 16610 pre ceramic with a random serial from 2017. Wait a minute......! What did he just say... ? " Did he say Twenty Seventeen ? That didnt make sense !
    The random serial number here is without a shadow of a doubt authentically dated by Rolex to the 15 th January 2017 & comes with Rolex's 5 year warranty would you believe that ? ! View attachment 347868
    ● The Sub 16610 is all brand new , with all factory plastic seals on the back & side casing , plastic crystal protector and stickers all intact. Heck ! The bracelet Solid End Links 93250 is also brand new , tight unsized , unworn with stickers intact. It is not just any New Old Stock ( NOS ) but a complete full set dated just last few weeks back stamped Rolex Boutique, KL View attachment 347869
    ●Then he showed something even more unbelievable. I was left speechless & dumbfounded. The bracelet code is a 3 digit random serial matching the random serial case perfectly as well...

●The movement is the famed Rolex calibre 3135 right ? Yah ! Of course it's fitted with the 3135....but has anyone.. like anybody...ever come across a 16610 fitted with the Rolex Blue Parachrom HairSpring ?

● Oh Hell Yeah ! The full set consists of the usual papers ,pouches and Double Green Seal Tags , each printed with serial number matching the random serial number on the watch & warranty card View attachment 347870
    My intentions are purely to showcase a rare brand new NOS Rolex timepiece to the Omega forum members AND I have NO affiliation with the Watch dealer. All of the information here can be verified with the Watch Dealer for the skeptics . Heck ! I can provide you with his email add / contact number if required. This pre owned watch in absolute minty condition is actually up for sale for around US $9550 but like I said I'm NOT here to sell stuff , this post is not a sales pitch , I'm not here to provide the Seller with cheap publicity only to Show & Tell something I never thought existed. I've already set my sights on another modern Rolex model so there you go.....

I believe this specimen is arguably , possibly the last or 0ne of the very last surviving Ref 16610 units that has been fitted with the new Cal 3135 Blue Parachrom Hairspring . It's not just any NOS but 0ne that has a random serial number , One that has that Laser Etched Coronet ( LEC ) hologram within the sapphire crystal ( Remember , they only exist in V , G & Random Serial 16610 Sub models ) AND dated 15th Jan 2017 so its all spanking new ! This distinctive peculiar watch even has a 3 digit bracelet code that matches the random serial on the watch casing as well. How many watches do you know that can boast of such a feat ? Was it a crafty deliberate stunt pulled by Rolex to create the hype ? After all they are the True Masters of Brand Marketing

So now I'll throw down the gauntlet & challenge Any0ne on the Omega or Rolex forum to come forward & disprove my theory that this is the very last unit of the final batch of Ref 16610 unknowingly , by sheer luck of the draw , by the Will of the God(s), against incredible odds , was shipped to Malaysia of all the crazy places in the world..... Show me your " The Last of The Mohicans...!!

Thank You Boys and Girls for your kind attention and patience.

God Speed-dY

[emoji173] Meganfox17[emoji173]

Class Dismissed ! Yo Yo Yo..I'm outta here....

Edited Feb 24, 2017
    EagleBear, x3no, Longbow and 9 others like this.
  2. meganfox17 Feb 20, 2017

3. BruceTheManLee Feb 20, 2017

wow! very nice! did you consider buying it?

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 20, 2017

Good to see you back Megan! :)

I wish I knew enough to even comment on your find. But I really don't know much about Rolex sport watches, vintage or modern.

Take care and hope to see you around the forum.

Who know, maybe you can bring someone out of retirement?
    gatorcpa

watch3s, Longbow and meganfox17 like this.
  5. meganfox17 Feb 20, 2017

No Brucie ! You know what I really want right ?[emoji14]

watch3s likes this.
  6. BruceTheManLee Feb 20, 2017

SD4K or the anticipated 50th Anniversary of the SeaDweller (whatever that will look like)?? :)

7. Uniqez Feb 20, 2017

That is really impressive... Unfortunately all I know about Subs that I want one sooooooooo bad, every time I read posts about it, I want it even more.....
    Thanks Megan.....:)
    Nice to see you back.

watch3s and meganfox17 like this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 20, 2017

Is he going to grind that horrible cyclops magnifier bubble wart off?

I still miss my 5513 I got when I was based at Butterworth :(.

9. Faz Feb 20, 2017

Very interesting indeed!

If I may, one little thing Megan..

"Briefly, Rolex 16610 Sub Date , a classic model that came into existence in 1988 replacing its predecessors, 1680, 16800 and 168000 , was faithfully in production for 22 years before Rolex permanently discontinued the model in 2010 & replacing it with the current 116610 c. Over the years there were lots of variations in the dial printing & some serial numbers seem to be more valuable than others.

10. meganfox17 Feb 21, 2017

Thank You Sir[emoji68] for making me 3 times smarter now....[emoji14]

Miss_Bourginskay and Faz like this.
  11. Riviera Paradise Feb 21, 2017

Wow Megan, great post and very interesting read! Your arguments seem sound in terms of all the upgrades anticipated for the last batch of the 16610, but I will defer to the Rolex experts on the OF.
    If this was a no date pre ceramic, I might have been very tempted::love::

watch3s likes this.
  12. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 21, 2017

Thanks for the post. Certainly an interesting example!

13. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Feb 21, 2017

Nice find and write up!

There was speculation that the overlap between the 16610 and 116610 may actually show the older model with the blue parachrome spring. But no pictures came up to prove such claim.

A picture would be great if you could convince the dealer to share.

meganfox17 likes this.
  14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 21, 2017

Well that's a decent write up, was on the end of my seat waiting for the serial number :thumbsdown:

Can't wait for the next write up ;)

15. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Feb 21, 2017

As always Megan shows up with awesome research and details. Glad to see you're still here and teaching us something new... I can finally say I know something about Rolex :D

Longbow, ahartfie and meganfox17 like this.
  16. frederikgp May 29, 2017

Nice post, thanks for the information about the watch. Does that means my random series 16610 have the blue parachrome spring? Is it only some of them or all the random series ?

17. Seiji Jun 4, 2017

I'm a newbie to watches in general, if the 16610 is a late random serial number, what is the significance from a collectability standpoint?

18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 4, 2017

It's an oddball transitional watch that has aspects of the next version. There had been rumors it existed but not yet documented. Normally early models of a new version show aspects of the earlier watch, this is reversed.

TLDR the parachrome technically started with the ceramic bezel model, this is pre ceramic but has the hairspring upgrade.

watch3s likes this.
  19. Seiji Jun 5, 2017

Odd yes, but does anyone really pursuit such a watch? It's not like a square crown guard case or bakelite bezel.

20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 5, 2017

Every seen the price of an 861 movement Speedmaster with an applied metal logo from 68? Or a no NASA 145.022-71? Now add Submariner fetishism.

Edited Jun 5, 2017
    noelekal, watch3s and Scepticalist like this.