Forums Latest Members
  1. htiek Aug 23, 2018

Hi all,

I have recently listed a watch and a potential buyer has asked me to meet to "inspect" the watch condition and then make me an offer.

What does everyone think of this? Generally I don't like to meet unless it to transact a deal, for safety reasons.

Thoughts and opinions are most welcome!

Thanks!

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 23, 2018

Whatever you do, do it in a well lit public place, like a Starbucks.

3. dwboston Aug 23, 2018

Or a police station or bank.

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 23, 2018

I would not be a fan of meeting someone just so they could decide on an offer. I would at least want an understanding the meeting is to purchase unless upon inspection some flags are raised.

But this also depends on any special circumstances at your end, and/ or if there is something special or unique about the watch in question.

boltman, ndgal, George.A and 6 others like this.
  5. Davidt Aug 23, 2018

The only time I've conducted a private purchase/sale face to face, we met at a bank and used one of their small meeting rooms.

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  6. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Aug 23, 2018

Keep him in your backpocket as a possible "problem buyer", and bump the "I will take it at your condition or close enough" buyers in the line ahead of him. Just play time and a low-maintenance buyer will show up.

connieseamaster and htiek like this.
  7. htiek Aug 23, 2018

This is a fairly mainstream watch and not any limited edition or anything. The buyer is new to the forum with no posts, so that raised more flags.

8. htiek Aug 23, 2018

Good point. I am in no rush to sell, but I want to word it in such a way that I don't offend anyone

Lonestar likes this.
  9. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Aug 23, 2018

too many red flags in one go. Maybe the guy is legit, but not worth the hassle. I'd walk away.

htiek likes this.
  10. albertob Aug 23, 2018

I always meet in crowded places, like other mentioned. Usually I take tables at Macdonald and I make the buyer sit between a wall and me, it is harder for him to run away

11. htiek Aug 23, 2018

My thoughts as well

12. htiek Aug 23, 2018

Its always tricky to turn down an offer from a potential buyer with no hard feelings

13. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Aug 23, 2018

Understood. Then again a sale comes from the agreement between a buyer, and a seller. Until something is committed, either of these two should be able to walk away in good faith without hard feelings.

If your price is not unreasonable and you aren't asking for outrageous conditions, then the potential buyer knows he takes a risk by asking anything (at best an inspection as a pretext for a negotiation that you'll be tempted to accept once you've been through the hassle of going to the appointment, etc...) from you beyond your ad.

Up to you but if it were me I'd play time until someone says "I will buy it at your price". As a courtesy to the (high maintenance) buyer though, I'd let him know, still... maybe the guy is honest and just as freaked out as you are at the moment :)

Stay safe above all things!

14. vbrad26 Aug 23, 2018

Banks are good because there are security cameras...
    Should anything unsavory go down...it will be on tape.
    Assuming you (or the police) could get the tapes.

15. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 23, 2018

Agreed. At a minimum I would pick a location where the potential buyer knows that are captured multiple times on cameras. That reduces the potential for someone jumping you in the parking lot after you leave and taking the watch or money from you.

16. Larssopw Aug 23, 2018

As a new member to this forum, and to the watch interest I understand the buyers pov. However I also completely understand your worries, especially to meet someone who wants to look at and inspect the watch to “maybe come with an offer”
    Today I was fortunate enough to meet up with one distinguished gentleman of the Swedish forum Klocksnack.se to buy a 16013 Rolex DJ from him.
    I drove 2,5 hour to get there, but we did agree to a price and terms before we met.
    Since we made up the terms, conditions and price before we met, well we both knew what to expect and there was no surprises at all.
    We simply met at a centrally located petrol station, where we shared a cup of coffee and had a nice chat before the transaction was made.

If you do feel the slightest worried, I would meet up at your bank of choice, where he can have a look at the watch, all in a safe and secure location.

Good luck with the sale.

Best regards//
    Peter

George.A, Nathan1967, pascs and 3 others like this.
  17. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Aug 23, 2018

Whenever I sell a firearm to somebody I make sure we meet at 2 or 3 in the morning at a convenience store parking lot.

18. Davidt Aug 23, 2018

Best to eat a hoodie or balaclava to hide your face as well.

19. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 23, 2018

Interesting as I too completely understand the buyer wanting to see the watch, especially if the person is a newbie.
    I have a friend who's a seasoned collector of vintage military watches and vintage civilian watches, and he buys from local classifieds, and he and others I know make appointments to see a watch before they decide to buy.

This being the "modern Omega" subforum I suppose the possible variations on the watch are lesser than with a vintage watch, but a newbie might find it more "normal" to see an item before they buy it.
    Of course the risks involved also vary with the value of the item.
    Best regards

htiek likes this.
  20. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Aug 23, 2018

Dammit, @kyle L is that why you always make me sit against the wall !?!?!

Speedmasterfan88, kov, STANDY and 5 others like this.