Forums Latest Members
  1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 5, 2022

Taking photos while working on a watch is helpful (for me) and informative for the owner.

While most shots are basic snaps to show me "what goes where", there are times I'd like to do a shot showing a process (hand removal etc). In the past I had a camera mounted to view the work and I would use the time delay to get a shot. This was impractical as you had to stage the shot and it didn't often capture what I was trying to demonstrate.

I now use my iPhone 12Mini for 90% of watchmaking work, and always thought "wouldn't it be handy if I could just tell the phone to take a shot".

I then remembered Siri, that soulless AI voice that was disabled the day I got the phone.
    "Had I been too hasty I thought?" So I enabled Siri and said "Siri take a photo", so Siri opened the camera for me, but I still had to press the button. After some searching I found Apple Shortcuts had a shortcut called "Say Cheese". Just say "Hey Siri, say cheese" and Siri takes a photo for you.

So meet my new assistant, Siri.

I can have the camera set, and then commence a task without having to worry about timers/positioning etc, when I'm ready I just say "Hey Siri, say cheese!" and bingo, I have an "action" shot without any risk to what I'm actually doing.

Even taking a shot while pressing the Driving Canon Pinion on a Valjoux 7750 is painless.

Thankyou Siri!

SettingDrivingCanonPinion.JPEG

2. LuckyLes Apr 5, 2022

Ah, modern technology can be a wonderful thing Jim. I'm still hesitant about using Siri.
    Les

watchyouwant and Archer like this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 5, 2022

With you there Les.

As soon as the need for my beautiful assistant is no more, I just turn her off until next time.
    I bet a lot of blokes wish they could do that at some stage.

Whoops, don't tell Annie I said that! :D

kkt and watchyouwant like this.
  4. paddymoran Apr 5, 2022

Thanks for sharing Jim. I can really see it’s use for your watch repair work. We use a timer to take a family photo at Christmas and invariably it takes a few attempts to get it right. “Siri, say cheese” seems a lot easier!!!

5. TheGreekPhysique Apr 5, 2022

I need to hire your assistant.

If I say "Hey Siri... say cheese."

Siri will respond: "Okay calling your aunt Rita right now."

6. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 5, 2022

How about focusing? That’s as important imho…

7. OneTwo Apr 5, 2022

Ha this may be the best use of Siri I have I heard of yet. Thanks for sharing!

8. vbrad26 Apr 5, 2022

Unless she starts saying something like "I'm sorry, I'm afraid I can't do that", or "this mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it"...then everything should be just fine.

9. JwRosenthal Apr 5, 2022

Are we talking about Siri or his wife? ::rimshot::
    Thank you, thank you- I’ll be here all week, tip your waitresses.

10. bombaywalla Apr 5, 2022

remember that Siri is ALWAYS listening.....:unsure::unsure:

Braindrain and Omegafanman like this.
  11. kkt Apr 5, 2022

I hear she reads lips too.

Omegafanman likes this.
  12. perks713 Apr 5, 2022

At this point I’m pretty confident that Siri, Alexa, my Roku TV, and anything else with a Mic is constantly judging me.

I’m pretty sure I disappoint them almost daily.

vbrad26, Pianotuna, YY77 and 2 others like this.