Forums Latest Members

MD-88 runway excursion on landing

1. gostang9 Sep 15, 2016

Calling @Mad Dog, I was reading an article regarding an NTSB announcement into the investigation of Delta flight 1086. http://avherald.com/h?article=482b659f/0003

I remembered you saying you flew the same type aircraft and I'm curious what level Delta communicates these kinds of events to all pilots flying the same type of aircraft. Are there team meetings or calls where incidents are reviewed? Are you issued bulletins with written feedback? I work in automotive and we often struggle to share what we call "Lessons Learned" across all plants and personnel in our organization. When I read about something like this, I assume a major airline like Delta might have some good solutions to handle dissemination of such information...

Just curiousity, if you'd rather not comment publicly, then that's fine and please accept my apologies in advance for asking.

noelekal and Mad Dog like this.
  2. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Sep 15, 2016

Yes, sir...Delta keeps us in the loop via bulletins, amendments to procedural protocol and training. In fact, at my last recurrent training in the simulator, this specific event was addressed.

chadpowe11, kkt, ahartfie and 2 others like this.
  3. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Sep 15, 2016

The sudden view of Flushing Bay from that perspective must have initially been startling to cockpit crew.

"OOOooo... is it gonna stop?!!!"

Mad Dog and gostang9 like this.
  4. SpeedyAV Jan 4, 2017

I'm glad computers have not fully taken over a human pilot's responsibility and it's unfortunate that crashes occur like http://www.flyingmag.com/technique/...ash-final-report-points-pilot-error-confusion where there is a wake up call for pilots to be PILOTS and not have to fully rely on a computer/auto-pilot to do all of the work.

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 4, 2017

I love that it is called an "excursion". Just like my kids going on a school excursion :confused:

6. Pvt-Public Jan 9, 2017

Well it does sound a lot better then "the pilot took the aircraft "muddin' "

noelekal and kkt like this.
  7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 9, 2017

Come on guys, if you live in northern climes, it's not like you've never skidded of the road :rolleyes:

8. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jan 9, 2017

I live in southern climes and I've skidded off the road, both iced and not iced.

I've been a passenger on airplanes which landed in northern climes in winter and have yet to skid off the runway.

I could have had Mad Dog makin' the donuts for all I know, pulling us through.

9. kkt Jan 9, 2017

Oh! So that's how Mad Dog got his name!
    And here I was thinking it was all about the cheap booze. :confused:

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 10, 2017

Although I have been in cars that have, never with me behind the wheel mate...

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2017

Counts :)

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 10, 2017

The MD-88 is known as the Mad Dog.
    as in, I fly Mad Dogs out of Cinci.

13. kkt Jan 10, 2017

Yes, I got that after reading the link to avherald above.