Forums Latest Members
  1. iracema1 Oct 29, 2015

Hi Everyone:

This is a watch that Rock Hudson wore on an episode of McMillan and Wife. I think that some of the identifying markings were removed for copyright purposes, I think that this is an Omega De Ville, Automatic Day/Date with squared case and round face. Would the members of this forum agree?

Why do i ask, because I LOVE this watch and want to get one myself! Thanks for any advice and opionions

Best

Andy Smith

mcmillanwatch.jpg
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 29, 2015

Never seen those 12, 6, 9 numerals or that font on the day/date wheels on an Omega.

This was a pretty generic shape for early 1970's watches. Could be anything from a Patek Philippe to a Chinese manual wind.
    gatorcpa

3. ulackfocus Oct 29, 2015

Why does that script remind me of a GP Gyromatic? I know they made that style case:

150499548046-1.jpg

The script below the pinion might be "High Frequency".

4. iracema1 Oct 29, 2015

Thanks! But, whereas I could see definitely see Rock Hudson wearing an Omega, I cannot picture him with a Chinese wind-up (nor were they prevalent then?), even as a prop.

5. iracema1 Oct 29, 2015

Wow, I think we are getting close! Thanks!

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 29, 2015

I think it's a much higher chance that it's generic. The actors will wear whatever the producers (who pay them) tell them to wear, then put on their favorite when the day's filming is done.

I just can't see a TV production company paying for any expensive Swiss watch, then deliberately destroying the dial.
    gatorcpa