Forums Latest Members

MAYDAY MAYDAY Discrepancy in Serial No.Engraved Font Speedy Apollo XI 25th Annv. Italy

1. koyote73 Feb 10, 2017

Dear Omega Forumers,
    Hi All, I could REALLY REALLY do with some help here folks. This is nothing short of an Enigma that needs sorting out. Three hrs ago, some Omega Forumers commented on my Ad for the Omega Speedmaster Professional Apollo XI 25th Anniversary Edition Italy Ref 345.0808 or also identified as PIC3592.50. They commented on how the Series number on the left-hand side of the caseband of my watch differed from that on their Apollo XI 25th Anniversary Edition Italy casebands. I was so glad that they noticed this (THANKS A MILLION guys) because i had only just acquired her four months ago and therefore still had a case in the event it was a Frankenwatch or worse counterfeit! Indeed the Font differed from that of one member. I could literally feel the blood draining to my feet! I felt like the BIGGEST sucker on the face of the earth. As the watch was bought from a Chrono 24 "TRUSTED" dealer, i was so frustrated that neither is currently open to take enquiries.
    Next, i went back to the Moonwatch Only book pg. 371 and that's where the confusion only heightened. Ok, bear with me here...
    1) The First pict is that of the Series number on the left-hand side of the caseband of my watch
    2) The Second Pict is that of the Series number on the left-hand side of the caseband of a Forum members watch.
    Note how different they are in both Font and Size !!!
    3) The Third and following picts are pictures i took from the Moonwatch Only book (pg. 371) which shows the Series number on the left-hand side of the caseband clearly.

As you will have noticed, the Font and size as shown in the Moonwatch Only book is similar to that on my caseband.
    So what gives???!!!
    Could it be that the OMEGA Stamped the serial numbers using two (or possibly more) different dies in the stamping process?
    I'm stumped. Can some one please tell me whats going on??!!! ::screwloose::

Serial No & FONT of OMEGA Speedmaster Apollo XI 25th anniversary.jpg Member's OMEGA Speedmaster Apollo XI 25th Anniversary.jpg DSC_6283.JPG DSC_6275.JPG DSC_6265.JPG DSC_6270.JPG

2. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 10, 2017

It appears that there may well be a couple of fonts used. This is what a quick google uncovered:

IMG_4543.JPG IMG_4544.JPG IMG_4545.JPG

And another which was sold by Spacefruit some time ago.
    IMG_4547.JPG

Edited Feb 10, 2017
    oddboy likes this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 11, 2017

Maybe they're ALL fakes.................................. exceptin' of course, the last one.

Barking mad likes this.
  4. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 11, 2017

Fortunately, mine is the same as the one you endorse::bleh::