Forums Latest Members
  1. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Apr 11, 2018

...but I hate when sellers use my catalog or advertising scans to promote their sale without giving credit or asking for permission.
    Here once again.
    https://www.ebay.fr/itm/VINTAGE-RAR...338145?hash=item4b40100221:g:W0cAAOSwUN9ayh0APurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    The worse being that the Watch for sale is a completely different and definitely later model from the one on my scans.

I know that when posting them they will be downloaded by some people, and I don't care as long as they have a collector's interest and don't do it for the money.

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 11, 2018

That's why I copyright images.

Etp095 likes this.
  3. Gstp Apr 11, 2018

Do you hold the rights? I don't know you or your "scans", but I don't think you can claim any rights for scanned old adverts.

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 11, 2018

Practically speaking, a watermark deters third-party use of images irrespective of legal questions. But if I own something and take a photo of it, I don't see why I could not claim copyright protection. Is it legal for others to use images of watches that we own, simply because we didn't manufacture them?

mac_omega likes this.
  5. ulackfocus Apr 11, 2018

Contact eBay and tell them a seller is using your images in their listing. eBay will force them to remove the pictures and probably pull the listing.

merchandiser, Larry S and Syrte like this.
  6. ICONO Apr 11, 2018

If those ‘Scanned adverts’ were as a result of your own individual research and investigation, and photographic skill in reproducing them…then, you have a case for arguing, you hold copyright on the image

If, however, those images were sourced, and captured / cropped / edited by someone else…and then subsequently hijacked… that is plagiarism, and potentially gross infringement of ‘intellectual copyright’… which is enforceable by International Law…unless you are based in China ?

Of course, primary copyright lies with the originators / owners of the adverts…but after this passage of time… they are usually defunct / dead / untraceable…and so that attribution is usually academic

airansun, adi4, Tony C. and 1 other person like this.
  7. knappo1307 Apr 11, 2018

Use the "report item" option in their ad. It's about half way down the ad on the right side....

8. Gstp Apr 11, 2018

I think this discussion is not suited for an international forum like this. Copyright laws differ a lot, where I live copyright holders have right to their material for 80 years for some material and 25 years for other. But whether its this or that year rule its always the intellectual rights that are protected, copies, reproducements, scans of the work of others hold no rights. Its open source. My pics of watches posted here and on other forums, they are not protected by copyright as I see it, when I share they are in the open.

9. ulackfocus Apr 11, 2018

Gun laws differ a lot too, yet we have a thread about members who are into firearms.

10. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 11, 2018

???

Of course it is suited to a forum like this, as the internet is international by definition.

I seriously doubt that you will find anywhere in the world where old advertisements (and similar) are copyright protected beyond the proscribed periods. In other words, if the copyrights are not renewed (and they very rarely are after a decade or two), then they are not protected.

11. Gstp Apr 11, 2018

I think they would be here as I said, but if we leave that, scanning would not give the scanner a new right, a scan is not an intellectual property

felsby likes this.
  12. mac_omega Apr 12, 2018

As soon as the scanning person does not use it "as scanned" but alters the scan with let´s say photoshop in order to enhance contrast, brightness or the like, retouch scratches, add a watermark, a new kind of "follow up" copyright (or you may call it legal protection) is created. At least this is law in the European Union.

And to add - I hate it when people take my photos without asking for permission.

Lucasssssss likes this.
  13. Edward53 Apr 12, 2018

There is nothing to stop you contacting the seller and demanding that they take down your intellectual property or you will report them to ebay. A friend did this when his research was stolen and the seller instantly compiled. Just mind you copyright them yourself first or the seller might beat you to it!

14. MCC Apr 12, 2018

Sadly even though there may be an infringement of your copyright, practically there is probably little you can do about this since pursuing a legal remedy would be costly and no doubt fruitless. I do think you should inform the person using your images that they are doing so without your permission and ask them to remove them. If they refuse, contact ebay.

15. bubba48 Apr 12, 2018

I think that the only legitimate copyright holder is possibly the author of the advertisement and not the person who scans it.
    When I post my pics in this forum or elsewhere in the net, I'm aware that anyone can use them.
    To quote the source is netiquette but nothing more.

JimInOz likes this.
  16. frederico Apr 12, 2018

Waitwut? When you scanned the originals and posted them online did you have the permission of the copyright owner?

17. frederico Apr 12, 2018

Where do you live then, the moon? :p

18. Lucasssssss Apr 12, 2018

19. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Apr 13, 2018

20. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 13, 2018