Forums Latest Members

Mavic Pro: The drone I didn't know I needed.

1. trackpad Sep 29, 2016

About as off-topic as one can get, but I just thought this was an incredible product video introducing the Mavic Pro a few days ago. I feel like might be the iPhone of Drones,...or the model that takes the category a little more mainstream. For better or for worse, prepare to see a lot of these in or around your neighborhood on Dec. 26th.

Video at the top of the page: http://www.dji.com/

DJI is privately held, so very difficult to invest. But I will buy a few shares in the company that makes the SoCs going into the 4K cameras of these (and many others...GoPro, for example) – and are also widely used in security cameras (another booming market).

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/amba/analyst-research

alam likes this.
  2. dialstatic Sep 29, 2016

Three days ago, I had more or less decided on the new GoPro Karma for my first drone. I like the size and how it offers a less intimidating out-of-the-box experience for a novice user like me.

Never owned an action camera either - I still kinda like how the Karma would give me both a drone and a sports cam (the camera and gimbal detach, which is pretty cool). I guess it's also safe to assume that one could upgrade the camera at some point without buying a new drone.

But now, this new DJI comes around and I'm in doubt once more. I mean, I don't really *need* a sports cam - else I would have had one already. Sure, it's a nice feature, but is it really worth settling for a lesser drone for? (...assumming the GoPro Karma actually is inferior to the DJI Mavic, that is). I eagerly anticipate the comparative reviews.

Wow, I can't even think of a way to connect this to the topic of watches. Other than that I'm gonna spend way too much money on something I don't need here, too. :thumbsdown:

trackpad likes this.
  3. trackpad Sep 29, 2016

I'll get back to you. Not sure what it is, but I know there is a path forward on this front.

RE: comparison, I was in exactly the same boat, strongly eyeing the Karma. But I ordered a Mavic this morning. I don't think the Karma compares favorably on almost any front.

http://petapixel.com/2016/09/28/dji-mavic-pro-vs-gopro-karma-drones-specs-stack/

Also given that I don't like the GoPro's fish eye field of view, and that DJI uses a rectilinear field of view that looks more pleasing and natural (where horizon lines are mostly straight) ...the decision seemed easy.

dialstatic likes this.
  4. trackpad Sep 29, 2016

@dialstatic Drones have clocks. They keep time...among other things, such as GPS coordinates, altitude/pitch/yaw – a lot of things! But fundamentally, for the timing of the props which keep them balanced, and for the regulation of all systems...they rely on timing. They are essentially very large, very loud and often very airborn timepieces.

And as you already pointed out, they are also expensive and unessential. Astute observation.

5. soybeanwatch Sep 29, 2016

I want one sooooo bad!! I also wonder if I could use one for macro shots

6. dialstatic Sep 29, 2016

I'm guessing this is a joke, but no. At 35mm equivalent and a minimum focus distance of 50 cm, you'll not be able to create a sharp video that zooms out from your coathanger S to your neighbourhood ;)

7. Clibka Sep 29, 2016

So as most people ... I am on the fence here as well. I think all in all the mavic is a better drone (have flown and worked with two generations of DJI phantoms and this looks absolutely killer) but the versatility of a gimbal'd GoPro is almost too good to pass up.

The smart thing would have been for GoPro to have used their iPo money to buy DJI ... oh well.

So if you break it down $1,000 for the mavic pro + GoPro 5 $399 + ~$300 for a handheld gimbal.

So we're at $1,699 to get the same functionality of the karma. Not to mention the karma gives you a mountable GoPro for any other activity. We needed the GoPro mavic and we would be set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trackpad, dialstatic and Jwit like this.
  8. trackpad Sep 30, 2016

@Clibka would have been smart, assuming they could afford them. Apple, or even Amazon might also be interested.

Clibka likes this.