Forums Latest Members

Master co-axial question on accuracy.

1. Macobrien1 Dec 20, 2014

Hello. I am knew to the high end watch world. My master coaxial was purschased three days ago. I am timing it and it looks to gain about. 2.5/3 seconds per day. Is that acceptable? Or should I return and look for more accurate watch? From what I read on the Internet, that seems acceptable.

Please advise.

image.jpg image.jpg
    Edited Dec 20, 2014
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 20, 2014

More than acceptable mate, 2.5-3 per day is spot on, you never want a watch that runs fast. Many people get a bit concerned when they buy their first fully mechanical watch and notice that its off by a couple of seconds so don't worry too much about that its very much within specification and performing very well. Watches are typically made to run slightly fast rather than slightly slow as if they're fast, lets say by the end of the week its 20 seconds quick, you simply pull the crown out and hack it for 20 seconds and its back to dead on again, while if it runs slow, you'll have to wind the hands forward then wait 40 seconds which is more time consuming and annoying.

Mechanicals don't have the same absolute precision of quartz watches, but you'll notice from the vintage section that there are literally hundreds upon hundreds of members daily wearing Omega automatics from the 1940s 1950s and 1960s and while there are a lot of 1980s Quartz and tuning fork electric watches that are near impossible to fix anymore a quality watchmaker can typically put any 60+ year old Constellation back within its original chronometer specification and have it ready for daily service again.

What model did you go for, can you post some pics?

Edited Dec 20, 2014
    rob09 and bb58 like this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 20, 2014

The tolerance for these are from -1 to +6 seconds per day average rate. If you tired to return it, they are simply going to tell you there is nothing wrong with the watch (and there isn't anything wrong as it's running well).

Cheers, Al

4. PharaohRamses Dec 22, 2014

It seems to be well within specifications. Beautiful choice man. Great watch. Congratulations and welcome to the team.

5. Jon R Dec 22, 2014

Well within spec. You could try leaving it overnight in different positions (face up, face down, crown up, crown down) to see if in any of those static positions it loses slightly. That way, you can slow the overall monthly gain if it's gaining slightly on your wrist. Being new, it may also settle down a bit in use but don't know what other members experience with that is.

Gordonite and watchme like this.
  6. jud Dec 22, 2014

Very nice. Congratulations on a great choice.

7. datniche27 Dec 24, 2014

Definitely no issue - nice AT.

8. repoman Jan 29, 2015

that's a beauty, and seems to be dead on balls accurate (it's an industry term) :D

Wryfox and Riviera Paradise like this.
  9. Macobrien1 Jan 29, 2015

Thanks. Once it settled, it is at about 40 seconds/month. That's great, as far as I am concerned. Very happy with the watch.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  10. cuts33 Jan 29, 2015

I wish Belichik would've used that line when dropping the Mona Lisa Vito reference.

"Our pumps to inflate our balls are not exactly dead on balls accurate."

11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 29, 2015

Unless the balls are deflated...

12. lerxst Jan 29, 2015

I noticed it's on your right hand! Are you a lefty or just prefer it that way?

13. DAM Jan 30, 2015

Beautiful. 41.5 mm?

14. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 30, 2015

The Omega "Captains Watch" i also like this piece, looks great with the blue and red.

15. Gavin Harris Oct 21, 2015

As a recent first time owner of an Omega Aqua Terra 150 Master Co Axial, I had noticed over the last few weeks that my watch gains about 6 or seconds every day. At first I was prepared to go charging back to the shop I bought it from demanding something is done about it. However having read this article my mind has been put at rest that this would appear to be standard for an automatic watch.......Pheww!!!

16. Canuck Oct 21, 2015

Your watch has sat static for some time since the factory finished it. Allow it a month or so of running constantly, and surprisingly, you may find its rate will improve.

pozer likes this.
  17. Gavin Harris Oct 21, 2015

Thanks Canuck.
    I love the watch by the way and I am already planning my next one which will be a Semester 300 master coaxial

dsio likes this.
  18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 21, 2015

Great piece the new SM300, you'll need a Speedmaster Pro after that FYI

19. Gavin Harris Oct 21, 2015

dsio likes this.
  20. jazz ham Dec 8, 2015

IMGP0975.JPG My Newly acquired "Captain's" watch gives it's holiday greetings. Since 11/2-5 weeks with daily wear, it is overall, an amazing +6 sec. After adding 3 Rolexes to the collection over the last few years, didn't think I'd go back to Omega until recently.

bovecHD likes this.