Forums Latest Members

Master Chronometer in real life !!!

1. Shihab Nov 30, 2016

I have recently purchased new a new seamaster planet ocean 43.5 mm " Master chronometer" last October. Being a Master chronometer i expect the watch to run from 0 to +5 seconds per day. Actually mine runs at -1 to -2 seconds per day ( i have measured its daily variance vs the iphone watch) . I have tried keeping the watch at night at different positions and i have noticed that it might gain 1 or lose 1 second overnight depending on its resting position and power reserve as well. I have contacted omega and they were very prompt in their reply and they mentioned that the wearer habbits may vary the daily percision of the watch and they asked me to send it to an qualified omega watch maker that can regulate the watch according to my wearing habbits and that this doesn't mean that the watch is defective but i am not so comfortable in sending a brand new watch for regulation. My question is this normal for master chronometers and did any one else experience the same issue? Can it settle after some months?
    Thanks

2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 30, 2016

Picture?

Taddyangle likes this.
  3. Shihab Nov 30, 2016

Other than that i am extremely happy and satisfied with the quality of the watch

image.jpg
    hkrauss and alam like this.
  4. meganfox17 Nov 30, 2016

Show Us ( and Me ) your Master Chronometer Certification which documents specific results of all 8 tests

You will need to create an Omega Account if you have not registered yet , then simply login & download the test results or use your iphone app[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Shihab Nov 30, 2016

i have added the photos of the test results but do they indicate something about the real life ( my wearing habbits) vs the master chronomter certification?

image.jpg image.jpg
    delmarco likes this.
  6. hkrauss Nov 30, 2016

I would be careful. An iPhone watch per se, just like any computer's clock, is not a good time standard. It only syncs once in a while with a time server on the net. It can be off by several seconds. I've seen this only recently on my MacBookPro.

Try syncing manually with a time server before comparison, to make sure your iPhone has an accurate time.

I only mention this because if you do send it in, you will need to provide some information such as "on my wrist, it runs at -2sec per day". (I think that regulating a watch according to wearing habits also applies to master chronometers).

I have a plot which shows the daily variance of my PloProf (sec/day), over nearly two years:

Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 18.08.36.png

In the middle of the time axis (around February this year), I switched my mode of comparison from computer clock to a time server on the web. Fluctuations were much smaller afterwards. (Note that this is a "poor man's method", by comparing two readings visually. The uncertainty of each data point can be up to 1 second. But I rather spend my money on watches than on timegrapher equipment ...)

Looks like calibre 8500 is very stable, by the way :)

Edited Nov 30, 2016
    Foo2rama, Shihab, meganfox17 and 2 others like this.
  7. meganfox17 Nov 30, 2016

How could you possibly measure the precision & daily variability using your iphone , seriously ?

There is really nothing wrong your mechanical timepiece & inside you have a wonderful Calibre 8900 Co Ax MC so please stop this obssesiveness about its daily precision & in different positions ! There are much better things to do in life !

Knezz, pvdwaal, RegF and 5 others like this.
  8. Shihab Nov 30, 2016

Thanks will try that

9. Shihab Nov 30, 2016

This rings a bell , i know its not the most accurate way to measure a watch's percision yet it might give some indication, however this is one of the things i like to do in life :)

10. M'Bob Nov 30, 2016

Such as?

11. seikomatic Nov 30, 2016

iPhone....I would rather use my $3 radio-wave clock or www.time.is to time my watch

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 30, 2016

I fail to see what your issue is. There is basically no difference from -1 to +1 a day. If Omega regulates it you might end up at +4 which is in spec. Rolex is -2 to +3 Omega is 0 to +5

The only reason plus is better is that you can quickly adjust with the hacking.

Mongooseman and Shihab like this.
  13. RegF Dec 1, 2016

I'm also going to say that its well with in the range from the manufacturer and the swiss weather burea METAS that Omega use for their certification.

You have to put this all in context

Its a mechanical watch and will never, ever be as precise or accurate as a simple quartz cheapie, and nothing like a GPS synced or atomic clock synced quartz

In comparison to many other mechanical watches it will be much more consistent and precise in its accuracy than many others out there

That's partly what you paid your big bucks for, amongst a host of other things

Relax a little and enjoy the watch

If enjoying the watch entails obsessing about this kind of minutia then invest in a timegrapher device and do it right.

Compared to the cost of the watch its not a huge investment

And as your collection grows you can do all sorts of cool comparisons for us all to read.

Shihab and meganfox17 like this.
  14. POinNY Jan 15, 2019

Bumping this...

I've had a total of 3 Planet Ocean 8900s and two of them were -0.5 and -1 sec per day. The third one gained a few seconds per day. All were bought new. Because two of these lost time after 24 hours, I'm chalking it up those two having much tighter tolerances than the other one that gained. I've seen numerous other people here and WUS with METAS movements post about how their watches lose time in a 24 hour period, which is weird considering that a METAS movement should never lose time. Just wanted to bring this thread back to life to see if more people are noticing a time loss with their METAS movements and if it improved after they bought their watches (assuming they were bought new).

15. Gruesome Jan 15, 2019

Without knowing the time standard you are using it's difficult to conclude anything.
    Https://time.gov/widget/widget.html is still working, despite the shutdown.
    Since (as mentioned) a single reading has a 1s uncertainty, you should track the cumulative deviation for several days if you want subsecond precision.